Why we shouldn't get Mike Martz... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we shouldn't get Mike Martz...

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Look, I can't argue that Mike Martz is probably one of the best offesnive coordinators in the league.....but that's where it ends.

There are some coaches that are good at what they do, but that's it.... and Mike Martz is one of them.Mike Martz is an excellent OC and can make wonders with an underachieving offense, but he is HORRIBLE when it comes to coaching a team.

He falls under the category of another Dave Wanstetd, Norv Turner, Marty Morningwheg, Dick Jauron, Gregg Williams, etc. These guys may look like genuises when it comes to calling or creating plays, but become lame ducks when it comes to head coaching and taking the reigns of a team. Before we hire Wanstetd, there was a website built by bears fans explaining how Wanny destoyed their team and all his past failures as a head coach for the Bears, they even went on to warn us of how bad of a coach he was and why we shouldn't hire him....we should've listened. I wish I could remember the web address so I could post it, but i don't remember what it was.

Anyway, here are 2 websites I found by Rams fans that wanted to fire Martz when he was coaching St. Louis.....

http://firemartz.com/

http://dumpmartz.com/default.aspx

Here are a few quotes from http://dumpmartz.com/default.aspx...

Pete Prisco (CBSsportsline.com) reports Martz in trouble...

On Boston morning radio, CBS Sportsline, Pete Prisco said that people inside the Rams organization are not happy with Mike Martz and are upset at his draft decisions and how he has overruled everyone on Draft Day. Usually, it is Mike Martz on the inside with self-serving, off-the-record commentary. Another sign that the wheels are coming off the Mike Martz mobile! It's going to get even uglier, though. Stay tuned!

http://dumpmartz.com/PermaLink,guid,25696b90-1d2a-4847-a383-c3d1b7c8421f.aspx

Mike Martz laid much of the blame for the Rams' 2003 season failures at the feet of the special teams, despite the fact that many of that season's games were won with the golden foot of special teams kicker Jeff Wilkins.

After being labeled the 2003 season scapegoat and fired by Mike Martz, Bobby April went to Buffalo to head the special teams for the 2004 Bills. Through his skillful leadership there, he has built the top-ranked special teams unit in the NFL. Although “success” is the best revenge, the football gods were so unimpressed with Mike Martz's 2003 human sacrifice of Bobby April that they demanded even further retribution. And so yesterday at Ralph Wilson Stadium, they unleashed their full wrath upon Mike Martz and the Rams. Bobby April's special teams delivered the fatal blows that were keys to the Bills victory over Mike Martz and the Rams: an 86-yard touchdown on a punt return, a 53-yard punt return, and a fumble recovery on a kickoff. If there were a payback-of-the-year award, Bobby April would be the unanimous recipient.

On Sunday, November 21 2004, Bobby April demonstrated that he was not the problem with the Rams' 2003 special teams. Just as Mike Stock most likely isn't the problem with the Rams' 2004 special teams.

The common denominator?

Mike Martz.

http://dumpmartz.com/PermaLink,guid,f1b9f8b0-ac2a-4dea-829e-95b4c41ce980.aspx

Buffalo Special Teams Coach Bobby April, who was named by Rams Head Coach Mike Martz as the Official 2003 Season Scapegoat, has molded the Bills' Special Teams into the top ranked unit in the NFL. Yesterday, on November 21 2004, Bobby April demonstrated that he wasn't the real problem behind the Rams' early playoff exit. In fact, Coach April's Special Teams unit dominated Mike Martz's Rams and were the catalyst behind Buffalo's upset victory over the Rams. Today, with Bobby April named the NFL Coach Of The Week, the entire league is having a good laugh at the Rams' expense.

Coach of the Week
Peter King
Sports Illustrated
22 Nov 2004

Buffalo special-teams coach Bobby April. One of the best special-teams coaches in the NFL for a long time, April didn't have his contract renewed by the Rams in the offseason and went looking for work. "You always have a little incentive against a team you worked for," he said after Buffalo's 37-17 win over the Rams, a victory in which his special teams unit had an 87-yard punt return for touchdown, a fumble-recovery on a St. Louis kick return, and a 53-yard punt return.

http://dumpmartz.com/PermaLink,guid,f2df7f34-2982-49e4-ba46-c6e54b2cdb91.aspx

The thing about Martz is that he seems consumed with the offensive game plan, calling the plays, etc. But as a head coach you have to stay on top of the defense and your special teams, too. A lot of head coaches are like this, whether they are in love with the offensive or defensive side. They feel they have to be comfortable.

http://dumpmartz.com/PermaLink,guid,6fa13c1a-6335-4f09-8348-a43dba938db1.aspx

Trust me fellow finfans, we don't want to be in this same position a few years down the road....we should've learned from our mistakes with the Wanny era....We don't want Mike Martz.

as soon as the talent that Dick Vermeil brought in was gone from St. Louis, Martz couldn't win anymore. All his efforts didn't work because he couldnt bring in good talent throguht he draft and Free Agency by himself. Hes a bad Head coach because he has no idea how to build a team, or if its already built, he has no idea how to keep it together.

Nice research. Very good reasons to think twice about Mike Martz. He has most of the bad personality traits that Nick Saban had...without all the good ones.

Look, I can't argue that Mike Martz is probably one of the best offesnive coordinators in the league.....but that's where it ends.

There are some coaches that are good at what they do, but that's it.... and Mike Martz is one of them.Mike Martz is an excellent OC and can make wonders with an underachieving offense, but he is HORRIBLE when it comes to coaching a team.

He falls under the category of another Dave Wanstetd, Norv Turner, Marty Morningwheg, Dick Jauron, Gregg Williams, etc. These guys may look like genuises when it comes to calling or creating plays, but become lame ducks when it comes to head coaching and taking the reigns of a team. Before we hire Wanstetd, there was a website built by bears fans explaining how Wanny destoyed their team and all his past failures as a head coach for the Bears, they even went on to warn us of how bad of a coach he was and why we shouldn't hire him....we should've listened. I wish I could remember the web address so I could post it, but i don't remember what it was.

Anyway, here are 2 websites I found by Rams fans that wanted to fire Martz when he was coaching St. Louis.....

http://firemartz.com/

http://dumpmartz.com/default.aspx

Here are a few quotes from http://dumpmartz.com/default.aspx...

Trust me fellow finfans, we don't want to be in this same position a few years down the road....we should've learned from our mistakes with the Wanny era....We don't want Mike Martz.

As I said, I would not let Martz have control of personnel, but tell me Predaphin, the only candidate you seem to suuport is Cam Cameron and you are negative about every other one.

You even said "we could not go wrong with Cameron", why is that?

He lost as a head man in college, he is popular now but leads an offense that is loaded with top talent including one of the best runners ever.

How can you say he is a sure thing?

Nice research. Very good reasons to think twice about Mike Martz. He has most of the bad personality traits that Nick Saban had...without all the good ones.

Again, if he'll accept having a GM in control, and accept simply head coaching and defacto running the offense, I am intrigued by bringing him in and retaining Capers to keep the defense in tact.

His draft history was a joke.

Never liked Martz, he's too full of himself, and is known to be very egotistical. He can call a good offensive game, but head coaching material he's not....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

As I said, I would not let Martz have control of personnel, but tell me Predaphin, the only candidate you seem to suuport is Cam Cameron and you are negative about every other one.

He lost as a head man in college, he is popular now but leads an offense that is loaded with top talent including one of the best runners ever.

If he had a losing record at USC, or Notre dame or something, then fine. You would be allowed to use that for arguement. But Indiana University? No. you cant.

As for his offensive talent, i feel we have a lot of wasted talent on offense too. Cameron knows how to get the best out of his players, and more importantly, he knows how to get his big time players the ball when it matters most. If we brought cameron in, im positive we'd send at least one, if not more then one of our 'skilled' players to the pro bowl.

Again, if he'll accept having a GM in control, and accept simply head coaching and defacto running the offense, I am intrigued by bringing him in and retaining Capers to keep the defense in tact.

His draft history was a joke.

I've always said the only way I'd hire Martz is if we first hired Floyd Reese, gave him full control of the football team, and had him hire Mike Martz. Martz needs to know who is boss, who controls his destiny, etc.

And even then he's such an egomaniac it probably wouldn't matter.

I am not hot on Martz. That he's among my top 3 coordinators for the position pretty much shows how none of the guys excite me.

If he had a losing record at USC, or Notre dame or something, then fine. You would be allowed to use that for arguement. But Indiana University? No. you cant.

As for his offensive talent, i feel we have a lot of wasted talent on offense too. Cameron knows how to get the best out of his players, and more importantly, he knows how to get his big time players the ball when it matters most. If we brought cameron in, im positive we'd send at least one, if not more then one of our 'skilled' players to the pro bowl.

Dude, our offense is nowhere in the same league as San Diego from a talent perspectative.

There are many OC's that would shine with Phillip Rivers, LT, Antonio Gates and the rest of that offense.

I'm not saying Cam isn't a viable consideration, I just was questioning Predaphin on how he could be so negative, about coaches that have brought teams to Superbowls, and be so sure that an OC on a loaded football team, that didn't standout in college, is a sure thing?

I disagree
I'm not promoting MM but I think he could be a good fit here.
I'm sure if he was hired he would have nothing to do with Gm duties. Muller would still be in charge there and Don kapers would still handel the D. MM his down the field vertical offense with Culpepper is perfect! we have what we believe is good recivers (I'm a huge Chambers fan - But other then the year before last he has been average at best - let's be for real) and a very versitile back in Brown (did anyone forget that RB has a GREAT pair of hands?) the personel would be perfect for Mike M. I can see him overhauling it a little too. I can see him drafting or bringing in a top reciver to stretch the field. and not for nothing we REALLY need a overhaul of our offense. I not holding any punches in this post. we have not had an effective offense since JJ and that's being nice. We need to get a high octane off. quick fast and in a hurry Look at the teams in the playoffs. each have some type of offensive threat. the only team that does not is the Bears and believe me they won't make it to the superbowl this year either. As much as I like Chambers, McMike and Booker I would not be sad if any of them was let go to make room for something new. IT's TIME!
just my 2 cents.

Cameron is not my only candidate....I've posted quite of few names out there...some of them being....Ron Rivera, Brain Schottenhimer, Dom Capers...
....But this thread was intended to simply point out why Martz would be a bad decision as a head coach. I'd hate to turn it into another "open coaching" thread.....

I disagree
I'm not promoting MM but I think he could be a good fit here.
I'm sure if he was hired he would have nothing to do with Gm duties. Muller would still be in charge there and Don kapers would still handel the D. MM his down the field vertical offense with Culpepper is perfect! we have what we believe is good recivers (I'm a huge Chambers fan - But other then the year before last he has been average at best - let's be for real) and a very versitile back in Brown (did anyone forget that RB has a GREAT pair of hands?) the personel would be perfect for Mike M. I can see him overhauling it a little too. I can see him drafting or bringing in a top reciver to stretch the field. and not for nothing we REALLY need a overhaul of our offense. I not holding any punches in this post. we have not had an effective offense since JJ and that's being nice. We need to get a high octane off. quick fast and in a hurry Look at the teams in the playoffs. each have some type of offensive threat. the only team that does not is the Bears and believe me they won't make it to the superbowl this year either. As much as I like Chambers, McMike and Booker I would not be sad if any of them was let go to make room for something new. IT's TIME!
just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't make an argument if we were looking to hire him as the OC, but keep in mind that we would be putting our entire team in his hands....that includes input on draft choices....even if a GM made all the decisions, how is it going to affect our team when Martz doesn't like a certain player???

Cameron is not my only candidate....I've posted quite of few names out there...some of them being....Ron Rivera, Brain Schottenhimer, Dom Capers...
....But this thread was intended to simply point out why Martz would be a bad decision as a head coach. I'd hate to turn it into another "open coaching" thread.....

So, it seems you for the most part support completely unproven candidates as opposed to a coach with a winning record as an HC, who took a team to the Superbowl and nearly won that Superbowl if I remember correctly.

Capers being the only guy with past HC experience, who has a losing record as an HC.

I think Martz, under the right conditions, could work out nicely here.

So, it seems you for the most part support completely unproven candidates as opposed to a coach with a winning record as an HC, who took a team to the Superbowl and nearly won that Superbowl if I remember correctly.

Capers being the only guy with past HC experience, who has a losing record as an HC.

I think Martz, under the right conditions, could work out nicely here.

When Dom Capers took the Panthers to the NFC championship, it was a team he built. The panthers were an expansion team a year prior. He showed signs he can turn a team around.....One of the main reasons I would be for Capers coaching miami is simply because he is familiar with what we already have in place. And it would benefit our defense from not having to learn a whole new system.

As opposed to Martz, I believe Martz was living off of Dick Vermiel's success. He's never shown he can build a team. On the contrary, he's made some horrible draft picks

When Dom Capers took the Panthers to the NFC championship, it was a team he built. The panthers were an expansion team a year prior. He showed signs he can turn a team around.....One of the main reasons I would be for Capers coaching miami is simply because he is familiar with what we already have in place. And it would benefit our defense from not having to learn a whole new system.

As opposed to Martz, I believe Martz was living off of Dick Vermiel's success. He's never shown he can build a team. On the contrary, he's made some horrible draft picks

The only reason I wouldn't mind Martz is that his offense is so wide open mode that I wouldn;t have to sit through another Jets 10-6 SNOOZER!!!

Back
Top Bottom