Why We Traded Rodgers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why We Traded Rodgers

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal on the Rodgers deal:

1) We save a little face with the players who were friends of his on the team and keep a positive team spirit, b/c Rodgers did not have to renegotiate his contract again or get released. He also goes to a team that wants him and a city he likes.

2) We get a 7th round pick instead of nothing from his release. What else do you expect with a guy who would be free in a week anyway?

3) We lose $500,000 in "cap" savings in 2003 compared to if we had released him next week. Had we released him, we would have saved $750,000. As it is we save $250,000. If we can still sign Griese (our only FA we are interested in) it doesn't hurt in any meaningful way.

4) The real savings will come next year. Had we released him after June 1, we would save $750,000 this year and still had $750,000 on the books next year. As it is, he will cost us absolutely NOTHING next year. It's all do to the bonus money and how that is structured.

I think reason #4 is the key - the coaches are betting they'll be able to sign Griese and the rookies with the money they have and then add some key flexibility next year when they will have several other contracts to renew or renegotiate and some key free agents emerging. As long as we are still able to sign Griese, I'll be happy and I can see the solid reason for this trade.

I can't really see the reason for it. We could have had a solid backup OLB who could play both spots and give us some flexibility.

the only reason I see it, is if he was gonna be a bad apple in the locker room.

im with phin-std on this one. we shouldve kept him around.

Yeah, I don't really like the way you spelled my name there. I'm a huge Phin-fan and if you didn't know it means Dolphins touchdown.

It started way back when I got my e-mail addy and DolphinsTD among other similar names were taken.

Now I use the same name for most everything because it's easy to remember it to log in and such.

Starting a problem with someone who has never even addressed you is not cool.

I can't really see the reason for it. We could have had a solid backup OLB who could play both spots and give us some flexibility.

I can see the reasoning for cutting/trading him prior to June 1st or just keeping this year & releasing him next offseason, but I didn't see the reasoning for cutting him after June 1st.

If we cut/trade him prior to June 1st he's off the books completely next year, & we save a little money but that's not a concern.

If we held on to him for the season & cut him next offseason we'd, like you said, have a quality back up that can play both positions & would count $.75M next year.

Cutting him after June 1st this year meant a portion($.5M) would count towards the cap next year & we'd have nothing to show for it this year. Why not just go ahead & wipe him off our books completely this year & save that money to sign our free agents(Wade, Ogunleye, & probably Griese) next offseason?

He was going to be released next week anyway. Now we get what you can say is a free draft pick since there was no way he was going to be on this team next season.

My whole point is why not? He is better than Greenwood, is a vet that can play some. Seau was hurt last year, and we need to have someone mentor our young LB's.

With us not saving anything against cap and only getting a low round pick, what's the point?

Did he do something to make the team mad?

Well I think we were trying to be fair to him. By trading him to a team where he'll get more PT, also he'll get paid more than the vet minimum.

Originally posted by Phinstd
My whole point is why not? He is better than Greenwood, is a vet that can play some. Seau was hurt last year, and we need to have someone mentor our young LB's.

With us not saving anything against cap and only getting a low round pick, what's the point?

Did he do something to make the team mad?

He's better than Greenwood? Possibly, but Greenwood is on the right side of 30.

Oliver...

I like Rodgers, he would be good depth, and a good starter if Moore or Greenwood are not ready, we are saving very little, but I guess the FO are the pros and we aren't so I guess they know what they are doing right?

Back
Top Bottom