Why we won't draft Losman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we won't draft Losman

LdoubleE80

Starter
Reaction score
My last thread caused a bit of a stir, and this was a different topic, so we'll start anew.

While many here seem to like Losman a lot, I'll tell you why we WON'T pick him @ #20 or at any other point in the draft.

1) Miami is looking not only for a QB of the future, but someone who can contribute soon. Losman is a project. He has physical ability, but he is 3 years away from being a starter (if he ever is, which I personally doubt.) He makes poor decisions, poor reads, and is not ready to handle a pro defense. People are enamored with his arm, but it doesn't matter what kind of throw he can make if he can't make good decisions. Every time I've seen him, he's made bad decisions about where to go with the ball. Pro DB's will eat him alive.

2) If his attitude was not an issue, you wouldn't hear about it from so many sources. Miami has gone out of their way after JJ to avoid attitude problems--getting rid of Gardener, for example. This issue, as any, is magnified at the QB position. You don't make a habit of taking QB's in round 1 (if you plan on being successful), therefore you can't afford a miss. Attitude issues cannot be dismissed.

I can see Losman falling to late in round 2...even later. Someone will take a flier on him after that.

Originally posted by LdoubleE80
My last thread caused a bit of a stir, and this was a different topic, so we'll start anew.

While many here seem to like Losman a lot, I'll tell you why we WON'T pick him @ #20 or at any other point in the draft.

1) Miami is looking not only for a QB of the future, but someone who can contribute soon. Losman is a project. He has physical ability, but he is 3 years away from being a starter (if he ever is, which I personally doubt.) He makes poor decisions, poor reads, and is not ready to handle a pro defense. People are enamored with his arm, but it doesn't matter what kind of throw he can make if he can't make good decisions. Every time I've seen him, he's made bad decisions about where to go with the ball. Pro DB's will eat him alive.

2) If his attitude was not an issue, you wouldn't hear about it from so many sources. Miami has gone out of their way after JJ to avoid attitude problems--getting rid of Gardener, for example. This issue, as any, is magnified at the QB position. You don't make a habit of taking QB's in round 1 (if you plan on being successful), therefore you can't afford a miss. Attitude issues cannot be dismissed.

I can see Losman falling to late in round 2...even later. Someone will take a flier on him after that.

1). I agree. He needs to learn how to read defenses better. Then again, Brett Farve is almost the same exact way. His physical ability is what makes him great, nothing more. he ran a shotgun O in Tulane and obviously struggled in a pro style offense at the senior bowl. I'll give him more then a week to make that big adjustment.

2). His attitude problem is overblown. I thought the same way you did, until i actually heard him say things i was reading. it comes off so and when you don't hear it from him. confidence is a MUST in the NFL, and he wants to be a great QB and to do this he needs confidence. don't let what you read fool you. You can't praise Marino for it (not that you are, in general) then bash him about it.

IMO he is a great prospect. I'll be paying attention to the combine to see if he answered his 2 biggest knocks. IMO i think he'll improve big time. His confidence (which is a "negitive") will be his greatest asset in improving.

Everyone is picking Losman apart for more or less than one pump n go throw. Watching the game closer than the rest of you, you can tell the pump is designed in the play. Rivers ran the same exact play later in the game(when he didn't need to pump either) & he over threw Henderson by five yards. Losman's pass would've more than likely been on the money & a closer look you can see he didn't have any room to step forward in the pocket because he was about to be hit.

Losman has the experience, he's no further away from becoming a starter than Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to remember Losman has not ran a non-shotgun O before.

Losman is overrated. Rivers is the choice at QB at #20. I don't want a QB with an attitude that will always blame others.

Originally posted by chambers84
Losman is overrated. Rivers is the choice at QB at #20. I don't want a QB with an attitude that will always blame others.

when has he ever blamed someone for his failure? i've never read anything about him coming out of the locker room and blaming someone for a loss.

Marino really likes Losman... so his character is fine.

Originally posted by SMadison29
Everyone is picking Losman apart for more or less than one pump n go throw. Watching the game closer than the rest of you, you can tell the pump is designed in the play. Rivers ran the same exact play later in the game(when he didn't need to pump either) & he over threw Henderson by five yards. Losman's pass would've more than likely been on the money & a closer look you can see he didn't have any room to step forward in the pocket because he was about to be hit.

Losman has the experience, he's no further away from becoming a starter than Rivers.

Your threads always indicate that you are more informed or more knowledgeable about foortball than the rest of us... That you "watch games closer" and what not...

I'm just curious, what are your qualifications are for being so much more knowledgeable about football than the rest of us... How come YOUR talent evaluating skills are so much better than ours...? Are you a coach? A scout? A Player? If you explain it to me then maybe I wont get so pissed off every time you start a post with some condescending remark about your great breadth of knowledge compared to ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not picking him apart for ONE throw. That would be ridiculous. I've seen him play on numerous occassions. He makes poor decisions. Bottom line.

Originally posted by SMadison29

How you assume Losman pass would have been on the money or are you psychic?Can you please tell me which team to wager on for superbowl?

Losman's gun can bail you out of a lot of poor decisions. You know there's a reason talent evaluators keep putting guys with bigtime arms in the first round even though fans can't get the Ryan Leafs and Akili Smiths of the world out of their minds.

You're right on I think saying Losman is a bit more of a project. He's got a lot to learn.

But when you say his attitude is detrimental you need to do a little more homework. I've read up a bit and his teammates, the ones that speak to the press anyway, they speak highly of him and his confidence. He's also the kind of guy that looks straight in the mirror first and foremost. I've read probably about 5 articles written about him either during his 2002 campaign, prior to his 2003 campaign, or during it...and what I've seen is a guy who is constantly critical of himself. He could have 5 TDs no INTs and 400 yards on 25 throws, and he'll criticize himself for the throw he missed. Thats his pattern. The reason is because he DOES think he's the best, expects himself to perform like he's the best. Thats drive. Anytime I've seen him talk about a teammate, and I do mean ANYTIME, he's said nothin but positive. Mewelde Moore he said has the heart of a lion, everyone wants to be like him. After the first couple of games of the 2003 campaign where he was constantly harrassed because his OL absolutely blew chunks, to the media he stood by his OL and said they were NOT the problem and they were doing just fine. They won the next two games.

The only potential problems I see with him are question marks. First off, he's in love with his physical abilities. Absolutely ENAMOURED with them. Both his feet and his arm. It showed in the Senior Bowl. His foot mechanics are clearly bad, and it does affect his throws. He thinks he can get away with throwing off his back foot all the time. His timing was bad on a few throws at the Senior Bowl (not surprising considering the Tulane shotgun formation), one was nearly picked off but his gun was so fast the DB couldn't get it (but it still fell incomplete). Don't pick him apart for the pump and go, it probably was a designed pump fake. He gets cute with his legs and starts juking like he's Mike Vick, and actually was doing pretty good at it....until he got pounced on and fumbled the damn ball. Like I said, enamoured with his own physical abilities.

That has to be coached out of him. Which is the second question mark. Will he accept coaching? Will he be humble and when the coaches tell him not to play so damn enamoured with his physical abilities all the time, will he listen or will he say what he needs to say and keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I'm not too worried about his accuracy or his ability to read defenses. He does fine with those, and believe it or not QBs with guns like his don't need to be all that accurate to be superstars...look at Donovan McNabb.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Your threads always indicate that you are more informed or more knowledgeable about foortball than the rest of us... That you "watch games closer" and what not...

I'm just curious, what are your qualifications are for being so much more knowledgeable about football than the rest of us... How come YOUR talent evaluating skills are so much better than ours...? Are you a coach? A scout? A Player? If you explain it to me then maybe I wont get so pissed off every time you start a post with some condescending remark about your great breadth of knowledge compared to ours.

I'm not trying to sound conceded. I'm going by the assumption that you(not specifically) only watched the game once. There's a lot you(myself included) miss one the first time you watch the game. By recording the game you can watch a play over & over again. Obviously by only watching the game once there was a lot you missed especially on Rivers' throws.

Originally posted by minus

How you assume Losman pass would have been on the money or are you psychic?Can you please tell me which team to wager on for superbowl?

I didn't say it would be on the money but more than likely it would have. The receiver had the corner beat by a good 5 yards & Losman throws a good deep ball. For one thing it definitely wouldn't have been short like it was.

Panthers with the points :)

Back
Top Bottom