Why would we want a WR with the first pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would we want a WR with the first pick?

Omaha_Dolfan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I keep reading about how a lot of people want a WR with the first pick and to be honest ... I just dont see why anyone would want this unless there is no O.Lineman or QB that we would want to draft available.

Yes, I agree DT was a major bust last season, but still we have McMichael, and Chambers, and McKnight, not to mention Simmons, and the rest of our recievers we havent seen yet. BUT ... To be honest ... our reciever corp was looking pretty good as far as I am concerned when our QB's were on and had time. Only problem is our QB's are hardly ever on ... and even when they are half the time they dont get time to throw.

Not to mention how Fiedler with his high passes was laying our recievers out to get slaughtered when they tried to catch a ball.

Our need is an O-Line, and QB. I think if we have a shot at a good QB then we should take it ... either that or just put an O-Line together that is so big and nasty that it doesnt matter who we have giving the ball to Ricky.

There is no olineman or QB to draft. There are only two first round QBs(Eli & Ben) & 2 olineman(Gallery & Andrews). Losman & Carey are both boarderline first rounders but we dont need to reach.

Another reason we want a WR ahead of an olineman is because the draft is loaded with WR talent & free agency isn't. The opposite applies to lineman. The draft is then there & free agency is loaded.

I agree, it's not that we prefer wide receiver, it's just that at WR the talent is pretty close to guaranteed, carey or a qb may be a reach by draft day. If anything i suspect carey to maybe stand ground and be expected to go there, but we do have a ton of young linemen as it is and I'm not sure carey could come in and be as productive as we need from him at the guard spot with ricky running the A gaps.

On the other hand... check my new post pertaining to drafting wide receivers which im putting up right now.

Originally posted by Omaha_Dolfan
and McKnight, not to mention Simmons, and the rest of our recievers we havent seen yet.

I find that a bit on the funny side. Anyways, you would take Phillip Rivers/JP Losman over Reggie Williams? Would you take Rivers/Losman over Mike Clayton? I hope not on both.

To be 100% honest, I'd probably take Jenkins over Rivers/Losman. I'd also "consider" Rashaun Woods along with Rivers/Losman.

WR is clearly the best value as far as our three major needs are concerned(QB/OL/WR). You don't go for the biggest need, you go for the best player out of the three needs.

Re: Re: Why would we want a WR with the first pick?

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

I find that a bit on the funny side. Anyways, you would take Phillip Rivers/JP Losman over Reggie Williams? Would you take Rivers/Losman over Mike Clayton? I hope not on both.

To be 100% honest, I'd probably take Jenkins over Rivers/Losman. I'd also "consider" Rashaun Woods along with Rivers/Losman.

WR is clearly the best value as far as our three major needs are concerned(QB/OL/WR). You don't go for the biggest need, you go for the best player out of the three needs.

Yeah and then we can get Fiedler to throw it to the other team:tongue:

Re: Re: Re: Why would we want a WR with the first pick?

Originally posted by hunter5nc1

Yeah and then we can get Fiedler to throw it to the other team:tongue:

It's not like Rivers or Losman would be drafted to start...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why would we want a WR with the first pick?

It's not like Rivers or Losman would be drafted to start...
When are we going to get Rivers or Losman if we draft a WR first if we get a 1st out of OGUN fine if not we are going to be in the same situiation next year if we don't get a QB

Originally posted by SMadison29
There is no olineman or QB to draft. There are only two first round QBs(Eli & Ben) & 2 olineman(Gallery & Andrews). Losman & Carey are both boarderline first rounders but we dont need to reach.

Another reason we want a WR ahead of an olineman is because the draft is loaded with WR talent & free agency isn't. The opposite applies to lineman. The draft is then there & free agency is loaded.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but, for the most part, you're completely wrong across the board here. Rivers and Loseman are not considered boarderline first rounders by most, they're considered middle to late first rounders; HUGE difference. Also, the FA pool is not "loaded" with OL talent; I can't imagine where you're getting this from. Other than Walter Jones (who's going to cost almost as much as Peyton friggin Manning) it's a middle of the road proposition at best in this area around the league.

Beep! Beeeeep! Beeeeeeeep! Time to back up and start over again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why would we want a WR with the first pick?

Originally posted by hunter5nc1
When are we going to get Rivers or Losman if we draft a WR first if we get a 1st out of OGUN fine if not we are going to be in the same situiation next year if we don't get a QB

So if Reggie Williams or Mike Clayton were to be there at 20, you'd take Rivers or Losman? I sure hope not.

So if Reggie Williams or Mike Clayton were to be there at 20, you'd take Rivers or Losman? I sure hope not.

Absolutely; in a heartbeat. There are WR's to be had in FA and later into the third round (Keary Colbert for one) but the chance to draft your QB of the future is something that simply cannot be passed up.

Besides, WR's almost never do anything in their first year (only three: Chambers, Andre Johnson, and Boldin have been significant contributors) so there's no point in taking a WR for the future when he has nobody to throw in the ball.

Agreed. I would take Rivers over Clayton or Williams. What use are they going to be if they have no one to throw them a ball. It is rare that you get the oppotunity to draft a quality QB.

Back
Top Bottom