Why wouldn't the Dolphins trade Joey Porter? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why wouldn't the Dolphins trade Joey Porter?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
So Miami will cut Porter sometime between March 5 and March 10, when his $1 million roster bonus is due. And it will not raise eyebrows if Porter struggles to land with a new team for a bit, or signs with a new team for a contract that is significantly lower than the one he's currently under.
That is what's supposed to happen to a player with zero trade value.

But ...

If we have a figurative repeat of a Matt Roth incident, where Porter gets picked up almost instantly and signs for money that is as big if not bigger than what he's currently due, I'm going think something went awry in Miami's attempt to get something in return for him.

The fact is if there is a team out there willing to pay Porter what he's currently earning, the Dolphins should be able to extort cajole from that team a late-round pick, maybe a sixth or seventh-rounder, in return for Porter. If such a team exists, surely that team would be willing to part with what is uthought to be by some teams to be a meaningless pick to insure itself adding Porter rather than competing for him on the open market.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp.../why-cant-the-dolphins-trade-joey-porter.html

Thing is since teams saw that the Dolphins are desperate enough that they would release him, anyone interested in him would just wait until he's a free agent to try and lure him. That way they wont have to give up anyone for him, which is obviously more ideal.

The Dolphins made the biggest mistake, they folded their hand before trying to attract any possible offers (even a late round pick) to the table. Now Porter's trade value is lower than the temperature at the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Thing is since teams saw that the Dolphins are desperate enough that they would release him, anyone interested in him would just wait until he's a free agent to try and lure him. That way they wont have to give up anyone for him, which is obviously more ideal.

The Dolphins made the biggest mistake, they folded their hand before trying to attract any possible offers (even a late round pick) to the table. Now Porter's trade value is lower than the temperature at the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

I may be wrong, but the other side of the coin is that maybe the Dolphins let it be known that they were going to release Joey and if anyone is interested in him without getting into a bidding war, they might want to offer a draft pick to secure his services. Just a thought.

I may be wrong but why would any team want a loudmouth passrusher on a major decline that is going to make in the neighborhood of 5 million next year? I know there will not be a cap this year but on an economic sense, teams are not going to pay this guy that kind of money.

if there is a team out there that would pay him this salary, why would they let the Dolphins know? it's tough to "extort cajole" when you don't know who to call. anyone paying attention should have known months ago he would be cut.

If we don't get at least a 7th round pick for him...I think the front office should be held responsible.

because Joey went on every radio station in the world saying he's not happy. If I'm a team interested in Joey Porter, I'm absolutely waiting to see what the Dolphins do.
What pisses me off the most about Porter is that all this could have been done behind closed doors. If that was the case we might have seen a little value in return, but since Joey Porter is a big cry baby b!t$h... this is what we get. He gets 20-25 million guaranteed, and we get 1 great year, 1 okay year, and 1 that sucked complete @ss! Good riddance!!!!!!

I want Joey Porter off Miami's roster quickly. I would love to see him shipped to Detroit or Oakland for a 7th just as payback, but whatever gets him gone asap is fine by me.

If we don't get at least a 7th round pick for him...I think the front office should be held responsible.

How can they be held responsible for other teams not being stupid enough to trade for him??

Now if the Raiders trade for him, my point has been confirmed.

Or maybe the front office is so pissed at him they did it to **** him out of any extra money he would receive if he was traded and not picked up off the scrap pile.

The move also negated any leverage Joey had going into this deal as well.

Back
Top Bottom