Wide Receivers and the Draft... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receivers and the Draft...

Dolphins17-0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Had a little discussion with a friend of mine about all these great wide receivers in the draft, and then on top of that the numerous sleepers at WR, plus the WR's in free agency makes it one of the deepest offseasons for WR maybe in history.

That being said, how do you guys feel about the potential for so many of these guys to drop.

If youre a GM and you have say 5 wide receivers you still like, knowing you can get one later, and maybe 2 offensive linemen you like. Don't you go OL?

I could really see a lot of these teams lumping a large group of these wr's together and thus holding off on them. The end result would be several of the highly regarded ones falling into rounds 2 and 3. (not talking fitzgerald and roy williams here, but you know)

This is why i think it would be a big bonus if ogun goes elswhere for a decent first rounder that we could trade down with for a bunch of later picks. Then we can reach a little at 20 for Carey or Rivers/Losman, and use the newly gained round 2 pick(s) for a WR.

Watch sleeper Jerecho Cotchery at Saturday's senior bowl. I'll bet you he catches 100+ yards of passes in that game. He's a touch slower than Torry Holt (guessing) but JC can get open and he can catch the ball. You watch!

He is a hell of alot slower than Holt. His only chance in the league is as a clutch possession receiver, he has alot of compeition with the recent influx of not good speed receiverswith good intangibles. (Tolver last year, although he is a tad faster, and a bit lighter than Cotchery).

Cotchery will have a big game if Rivers is throwing to him all the recievers will have a good game if Rivers is throwing to them.:lol:

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
Had a little discussion with a friend of mine about all these great wide receivers in the draft, and then on top of that the numerous sleepers at WR, plus the WR's in free agency makes it one of the deepest offseasons for WR maybe in history.

That being said, how do you guys feel about the potential for so many of these guys to drop.

If youre a GM and you have say 5 wide receivers you still like, knowing you can get one later, and maybe 2 offensive linemen you like. Don't you go OL?

I could really see a lot of these teams lumping a large group of these wr's together and thus holding off on them. The end result would be several of the highly regarded ones falling into rounds 2 and 3. (not talking fitzgerald and roy williams here, but you know)

This is why i think it would be a big bonus if ogun goes elswhere for a decent first rounder that we could trade down with for a bunch of later picks. Then we can reach a little at 20 for Carey or Rivers/Losman, and use the newly gained round 2 pick(s) for a WR.

I kinda mentioned that earlier about trading down and getting a couple of second rounders. But my thought process is OL becuase the OL is not as deep by far. There will be some talent for third rounders and such but then you have to fight teams who are vying for them as well (case and point, Wade Smith last year with San fran and two other teams were wanting him too). WR to me is a major crapshoot when wanting to hit big on a reciever. i think there are too many intangibles to a good WR in the NFL for them to be stars right away. How many WR stars were great in there first year? Not many at all. It takes a WR about 3 years to become great IMO and that is a small % for the ones that do make it great. That is why i am very iffy on WR. I keep thinking about Yatil Green and that other kid from Miami we drafted and then traded to Arizona (bust).

Originally posted by Noland
Cotchery will have a big game if Rivers is throwing to him all the recievers will have a good game if Rivers is throwing to them.:lol:

I hope your right.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom