18. Corey Davis 984 1st(5)
19. Marvin Jones 978 5th(166)
20. Cooper Kupp 974 3rd(69)
21. Cole Beasley 967 UDFA
22. Robert Woods 936 2nd(41)
23. CeeDee Lamb 935 1st(17)
24. Adam Thielen 925 UDFA
25. Diontae Johnson 923 3rd(66)

So of the top 25 WRs in the league for this season 9 are 1st round picks. 5 are 2nd round picks. 5 are 3rd round picks. 3 are 5th round picks. 3 are undrafted free agents.

3 of these WRs were selected in the top 7 of their respective draft...
Amari Cooper 4 OVR Ranked 12th YDs
Corey Davis 5 OVR Ranked 18th YDs
Mike Evans 7 OVR Ranked 17th YDs

Only 1 of these 25 WRs have won a Super Bowl and that was Tyreek Hill just last season.

I charted these results bc obviously we are looking at the potential of drafting a WR at #3. Some have already decided to turn the card in for DeVonta Smith but after seeing these results are we sure we want to draft a WR at #3 if our goal is to win a Super Bowl? Granted its just this years worth of data but I find it quite surprising that only 1 of the top 25 WRs in football by yards have won a Super Bowl.

Will this data steer anyone away from wanting a WR at #3 so badly? What say you?

I'm still ok taking a WR. That unit is probably the worst on the entire team and not just the Offense. It desperately needs an upgrade. Team needs playmakers that can get open and stretch the field. Pull the trigger and grab one.

I'm fine with a trade down but a small one. I only want to trade down a few spots if at all. I would go into the draft with the mind set of using the first pick to upgrade receiver. If I can't trade down I'm all for picking Smith and reuniting him with Tua. I wouldn't want to miss Chase and Smith, if possible.

How many have made the superbowl?

I get the argument of not paying one top dollar, but there is no correlation between a good WR and not winning the superbowl. So many pieces go into it, and injuries throughout the season etc...

There are talented receivers out there that aren't divas who are complete players. But they can't do much if the coach if a Philbin or the GM is an Ireland clone.

5 of the top 10 wr’s being first round draft picks doesn’t show me the problems I keep hearing being shouted from the mountain tops if the Fins draft Smith or Chase at 3.

To me a positional spot in a draft is very hard to equate from one season the the next. You have to account for need, player depth and most importantly sheer football ability to name countless others. To try to correlate that from one season to the next based off of just draft position is next to impossible. To me anyone that’s says player B can’t do something because player A couldn’t, based solely on their draft position, is lazy in their scouting...& only looking for the easiest argument possible.

Good post and I made a post earlier this week in regards to WR being selected in the top 5. With that said I’ve only watched Smith play once which was on Monday, so I haven’t watched enough games to get a fair assessment, but if I’m being honest before the season started all the talk was on Lawrence, Fields and others on winning the heisman and he wasn’t even the list which was back in May. When take a receiver that high you they have to be in a Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson mold which a combination of size and speed at 6’4 and run 4.2 - 4.4. That’s my opinion.

I think most drafts will have 3-5 (hate to put a number but let's say a few) wr's that can excel in the right situation. It is up to the scouts/gm to find that guy who fits their system to put up those big number the op mentioned. Our team has to find that guy and Tua has to get comfortable with him. Remember that Welker was good but he wasn't great until he went to the Pats.

Justin Jefferson was a top 3 or 4 projection and he's great. I think any of the top 3-4 wr's can and will be very good our people just need to find the one with the best fit who will be utilized best. For instance, Waddle can be a terror on short and intermediate. He has speed, elusiveness and combined with a healthy Parker or Preston he could make defenses go mad. Same with Smith, great deep threat, smaller frame, not as fast, but gets open and makes plays.

We are at the mercy of our evaluators and I personally finally have some trust that they will get the right people. Waddle with Allan Robinson, frightening. Smith with Fuller, scary, combinations are plenty we just need to hit. That being said, I would love Smith but if the Jets take him at 2 all the best let's move on and find match number two and fill in the blanks from there.

Who are the top 5-10 LT's in the NFL? How many have won a SB?

Joe Thomas was considered to be the best LT in the NFL throughout his career how many times did the Browns even make the playoffs with him? Randy Moss was on 2 different teams that scored the most points in NFL history, LT's don't move the needle as far as impact the way WR's can. I think I rather have an elite WR and an above average LT compared to an elite LT and an above average WR. As a matter of fact I rather have an elite receiving group (WRs/TEs) and an above average OL as oppose to an elite OL and an above average receiving group.

Lack of WR winning Super Bowls might have a little something to do with this guy named Brady when he played for New England.

Absolutely Miami needs to draft WRs and early.

There are 2 rookies on your list, so thats 2 guys that couldnt have possibly won a SB... Following the same logic, 8 players on your list have played 3 seasons or less. Only 2 SB opportunities for those guys. So unless these guy were drafted by KC or NE, well though luck, the WR position is dead in the NFL...?

Also, that number will go up in about 3 weeks from now...

Last edited:
Top 132 recievers in the NFL, average separation is 3.2 yards. Parker is 1.7, Gesicki 2.0, Ford 2.8 and Grant 3.1. We don't even have one reciever above average, and the one who is close, is a midget who can't catch. Of the 132, Parker is the worst. Shouldn't be to hard to upgrade from this pathetic group.

There are 2 rookies on your list, so thats 2 guys that couldnt have possibly won a SB... Following the same logic, 8 players on your list have played 3 seasons or less. Only 2 SB opportunities for those guys. So unless these guy were drafted by KC or NE, well though luck, the WR position is dead in the NFL...

Also, that number will go up in about 3 weeks from now...

I have no time, but I'd expect similar results with pick-a-position. And you allude to a good point. How many of those guys were drafted by a top 10 team compared to top 10 teams?

IMO, the data presented has no relevance to drafting any position high R1. Although some are certain a particular person will end up HOF, hx shows otherwise. NFL is full of can't miss guys who are JAGs or playing backup. The key is picking the 'right guy, building a team with talent, putting players in a position to succeed. To a large extent, the stats will come.

The top 25 WRs (Yards) in 2020
1. Stefon Diggs 1535 5th(146)
2. DeAndre Hopkins 1407 1st(27)
3. Justin Jefferson 1400 1st(22)
4. Calvin Ridley 1374 1st(26)
5. DeVante Adams 1374 2nd(53)
6. DK Metcalf 1303 2nd(64)
7. Tyreek Hill 1276 5th(165)
8. Allen Robinson 1250 2nd(61)
9. DJ Moore 1193 1st(24)
10. Brandin Cooks 1150 1st(20)
11. Terry McLaurin 1118 3rd(76)
12. Amari Cooper 1114 1st(4)
13. Robby Anderson 1096 UDFA
14. AJ Brown 1075 2nd(51)
15. Tyler Lockett 1054 3rd(69)
16. Mike Evans 1006 1st(7)
17. Keenan Allen 992 3rd(76)
18. Corey Davis 984 1st(5)
19. Marvin Jones 978 5th(166)
20. Cooper Kupp 974 3rd(69)
21. Cole Beasley 967 UDFA
22. Robert Woods 936 2nd(41)
23. CeeDee Lamb 935 1st(17)
24. Adam Thielen 925 UDFA
25. Diontae Johnson 923 3rd(66)

So of the top 25 WRs in the league for this season 9 are 1st round picks. 5 are 2nd round picks. 5 are 3rd round picks. 3 are 5th round picks. 3 are undrafted free agents.

3 of these WRs were selected in the top 7 of their respective draft...
Amari Cooper 4 OVR Ranked 12th YDs
Corey Davis 5 OVR Ranked 18th YDs
Mike Evans 7 OVR Ranked 17th YDs

Only 1 of these 25 WRs have won a Super Bowl and that was Tyreek Hill just last season.

I charted these results bc obviously we are looking at the potential of drafting a WR at #3. Some have already decided to turn the card in for DeVonta Smith but after seeing these results are we sure we want to draft a WR at #3 if our goal is to win a Super Bowl? Granted its just this years worth of data but I find it quite surprising that only 1 of the top 25 WRs in football by yards have won a Super Bowl.

Will this data steer anyone away from wanting a WR at #3 so badly? What say you?
100% agree. WR at #3 is very poor value. I guess maybe if there was a certified megaton...

Back
Top Bottom