Wild Hair Idea if Surtain trade goes through | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wild Hair Idea if Surtain trade goes through

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Several other threads have explored what we might do with the potential #2 pick. I'm very hopeful it will go through b/c we need that pick to build for the future - esp. on offense. I hope the Herald rumor that the trade will go down in a week is true. But, I'm still a bit skeptical.

However, if it happens, what about seeking to sign Ty Law once he's healthy? One reason we are trading Surtain is the salary issue and our depth at CB (Madison, Howard, Poole).

Law was looking at a 4-5 yr. $26 million dollar deal - with not as high a signing bonus.

But, by the time he's able to run effectively and teams can evaluate his health, it will be the end of May. A lot of free agent $$$ will have been spent. So, the possibility is that we could get him, if he looks to be recovering, for a decent price - perhaps for a year to prove himself (as a lot of vets do).

I'm all for building through the draft and think that's the key to the team's future. But, it would be awesome to get a guy like Law who would be like another coach on the field - as well as a fine player.

Again, just a wild-haired idea. Who knows, though, right?

Da 'Fins said:
Several other threads have explored what we might do with the potential #2 pick. I'm very hopeful it will go through b/c we need that pick to build for the future - esp. on offense. I hope the Herald rumor that the trade will go down in a week is true. But, I'm still a bit skeptical.

However, if it happens, what about seeking to sign Ty Law once he's healthy? One reason we are trading Surtain is the salary issue and our depth at CB (Madison, Howard, Poole).

Law was looking at a 4-5 yr. $26 million dollar deal - with not as high a signing bonus.

But, by the time he's able to run effectively and teams can evaluate his health, it will be the end of May. A lot of free agent $$$ will have been spent. So, the possibility is that we could get him, if he looks to be recovering, for a decent price - perhaps for a year to prove himself (as a lot of vets do).

I'm all for building through the draft and think that's the key to the team's future. But, it would be awesome to get a guy like Law who would be like another coach on the field - as well as a fine player.

Again, just a wild-haired idea. Who knows, though, right?

Surtain would have a 10 year deal done if we could afford him..signing ty law would eliminate the purpose of trading surtain

No If you look back Ty Law has only played well in one game over the last 3 years. The game against Indy where Peyton through twice right at him and Law made a nice diving catch for his third that was it. He is not the cornerback that he used to be he is at best a second tier cb that doesn' deserve big money.

hes best suited for a team which is on the brink of a SB run that needs another piece and can afford to take a gamble on him

we are pretty strong at CB, we needthe cap space to sign other positions.

Ty Law would eat our the cap space we would get for Surtain so we wouldn't win. We would then decrease the value at that position and get no cap relief. What we have now at CB(Madison, Poole, Howard and Edwards) is a great set. Madison, while he has been slipping a little, is still one of the best in the game and Poole has the potential to be another Surtain. We will be fine at the CB position.

Also, does anyone know if this board will eventually change for Daylight Savings time? Or do I have to do that myself?

Nublar7 said:
Ty Law would eat our the cap space we would get for Surtain so we wouldn't win. We would then decrease the value at that position and get no cap relief. What we have now at CB(Madison, Poole, Howard and Edwards) is a great set. Madison, while he has been slipping a little, is still one of the best in the game and Poole has the potential to be another Surtain. We will be fine at the CB position.

Also, does anyone know if this board will eventually change for Daylight Savings time? Or do I have to do that myself?

SI INTERESTING`ARTICLE BUT I AM SURE IF I LOOK HARD ENOUGH YOU ALREADY POSTED NUB:wink:

Miami, which holds the second pick, has it all figured out. Don't draft a runner, which everyone expects the Dolphins to do. There will be plenty of them later on ... and plenty more in free agency. Instead, says Jamie, trade Patrick Surtain for a second-round draft choice, ship that pick to Seattle for Shaun Alexander and then draft whichever QB the Niners don't take.
Uh-huh. Alexander is 27 years old and he finished one yard and one TD away from the NFL lead in both rushing and rushing touchdowns. Naturally Seattle would give him up for a No. 2, maybe even a three or a four. How about a five? Surtain has had leg problems, but he's still a cover corner, and those guys are hard to find.

How about going this route? Draft the QB, if the Dolphins' staff is really convinced he's a franchise type, then pick up a runner lower down. Unfortunately it won't be in the second round (they lost that pick in the A.J. Feeley trade, remember?). And keep Surtain, if the money can be worked out. Past tensing it, I'd have said Denver RB Reuben Droughns would have fit in beautifully in Miami, but Cleveland got there first. How could the Broncos have let him go? I mean, the guy did everything they asked of him last year. But that's not your problem, right?

Back
Top Bottom