Wildcat options vs the Patiots | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wildcat options vs the Patiots

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys who thinks that it's high time to pass more out of the wildcat, and also to break out Pat White. If 9 in the box is going to be the norm, I think that you start passing or lower your expectations of the wc.

I could see PW used more in 3 roles:

Ronnie Brown/direct snap role. RB can split out wide, making it more of a spread offense, or come in motion Ricky style in the wc role and either take the ball out wide, or at least threaten to do so.

Ricky role- RB takes the direct snap as usual with PW in the wc role. RB either runs between the tackles or PW comes in motion, either running wide or a pass out of his roll out. Again, this prevents defenses for keying in too much on Ronnie running between the tackles, the bread and butter play.

WR role- standard wc but now you have PW in there instead of Henne- slant pattern against 9 in the box or can come in motion and take ball form RB, either run out wide or controlled roll out throw. Or send PW on a fly pattern to open up the middle of the field for a TE.

I'm not trying to get too cute here, I'm just thinking in the strike/counter strike and copycat world of the NFL our hand is being forced- to pass the ball out of the wildcat. What confuses me is why we didn't adjust against the Saint's 9 in the box corner blitzes- maybe the wildcat passing plays needed more refinement and practice. And maybe that's why the Dolphins practiced in the privacy of the bubble this week. Curious as to your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom