Wildcat Strikes: Inside Story How '08 Dolphins Perplexed Patriots | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wildcat Strikes: Inside Story How '08 Dolphins Perplexed Patriots

Phindog

Active Roster
Reaction score
Fist pump!!!!

One game I always wanted to rewatch and it was never put on youtube other than highlights.

Condensed version 10 years later.:woot:

Wildcat strikes: Inside story of how '08 Dolphins perplexed Patriots

It’s been 10 years since maybe the most shocking game in NFL history.

One word causes a combination of nostalgia, frustration, bewilderment and laughter between the 2008 Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots: Wildcat.

The Patriots, riding a 21-game regular-season winning streak, were 12.5-point favorites against the lowly 0-2 Dolphins, who were 1-15 the season before. But Miami had a trick just waiting to be unleashed.

Dolphins running backs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, sharing a backfield, ran a college offense to perfection and made a respected Patriots defense look silly in a 38-13 victory in Foxborough, Massachusetts, on Sept. 21, 2008.

“We didn’t have any idea that was coming,” former Patriots linebacker and ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi said. “I laugh at it now. But we were so pissed that day. I was hopping around. I didn't know what I was doing. It was a shock to the system."

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...ow-2008-dolphins-shocked-patriots-and-the-nfl

Last edited:
That day was a day I'll never forget. It came at a time in my life where I was suffering from personal tragedy and recovering from some serious issues in my life. That game and the rest of that season was instrumental in helping me heal emotionally. Those who take life for granted, take note how sports can help lift you from the abyss called life at times when it's needed most.

It's one of those moments in history where you remember where you were when it happened. Patriots closed at 12.5 point favorites, too.

Man if it were only possible to Morph players.

1) I would take C.Penningtons totality and just give him Tannehill's arm.
2) I would have a line that featured J.Long, Tunsil and the rest of that interior.
3) Would easily take J.Porter, Starke etc over someone like Branch, Harris
4) Would replace TJ. McDonald with B.Marion(My favorite ever safety for this team) in a sec.
5) Will Allen(Yikes, isn't he in jail?)
5a) Isn't Devon Bess in jail too?
5b) Greg Camerillo forever the Dolphins most prized player.
6) I would take anyone on that team and replace R.McMillian. Come on down Crowder.

This is going to sound strange but I was never a huge R.Brown fan. He was always an "okay" RB to me. Pre-retired R.Williams is an example of what I consider a "Running-Back." An absolute monster.

Last edited:
What got lost in that game is that we were moving the ball on them all day even without the wildcat. Pennington was clutch, and the run game was working.

Man if it were only possible to Morph players.

1) I would take C.Penningtons totality and just give him Tannehill's arm.
2) I would have a line that featured J.Long, Tunsil and the rest of that interior.
3) Would easily take J.Porter, Starke etc over someone like Branch, Harris
4) Would replace TJ. McDonald with B.Marion(My favorite ever safety for this team) in a sec.
5) Will Allen(Yikes, isn't he in jail?)
5a) Isn't Devon Bess in jail too?
5b) Greg Camerillo forever the Dolphins most prized player.
6) I would take anyone on that team and replace R.McMillian. Come on down Crowder.

This is going to sound strange but I was never a huge R.Brown fan. He was always an "okay" RB to me. Pre-retired R.Williams is an exam of what I think when I hear "Running-Back"
That entire defense was better than this one. But yes if you could combine the two it would have made an excellent team. Tunsil and Long, Porter and Wake, Will Allen and Howard, etc.

I still think the wild cat was overrated for that game. It was not like we only played wild cat.
Pennington was 17-20 for 230 yards. Ronny ran for 120 yards (not all from the wildcat).

Our offense was well balanced, extremely efficient and our D only allowed a TD and two FGs.
It was an overall very good game.

I still think the wild cat was overrated for that game. It was not like we only played wild cat.
Pennington was 17-20 for 230 yards. Ronny ran for 120 yards (not all from the wildcat).

Our offense was well balanced, extremely efficient and our D only allowed a TD and two FGs.
It was an overall very good game.

We scored 4 touchdowns out of the wildcat formation that game. It wasn't overrated for that game.

That day was a day I'll never forget. It came at a time in my life where I was suffering from personal tragedy and recovering from some serious issues in my life. That game and the rest of that season was instrumental in helping me heal emotionally. Those who take life for granted, take note how sports can help lift you from the abyss called life at times when it's needed most.
Hope you're doing better now bro.

Back
Top Bottom