Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career?

Parker also sealed the loss by badly misplaying a non-rhythm jump in the endzone, mistiming a ball that he should have caught, causing an INT. Watching his footwork on that pass, seeing how badly he mistimed a perfectly thrown jump ball... painful. So yes, a great game. But also shows needed work. Or perhaps his ceiling coming into play?

LD

What's crazy to me is coming out of college the "Jump Ball" is what people called his specialty. The one area where he would win more times than he lost. His ability to track, outleap, and pluck the ball out of the air at its highest point.

Im going to sound like a broken record but there's no way you can evaluate Parker's production in 2017, he was set up to fail based on how they used him and who was throwing the ball... Cutler wasnt even CFL worthy throwing beyond 10 yards and thats where Parker operated on the vast majority of his routes... On top of that, he lined up exclusively on the outside.

Keep in mind who the QB is, and tell me which WR is going to have more success, nevermind specific players...

View attachment 12962 View attachment 12963

Im not saying Parker will break out, but I am saying Im not holding 2017 against him...

Lets put a couple numbers on this....

Jay Cutler's rating on throws behind the line of scrimage -> 98.9, (1-10)-> 86.9, (11-20)-> 67.1, (21-30) -> 50.1, (31-40) -> 62.6

Jay Cutlers rating throwing in the middle -> 88, Right and left sideline -> 81.1 / 79.6

% of receptions from behind the line of scrimmage to 10 yards: Landry 84%, Parker 68%, Stills 47%

% or receptions lining up inside the numbers Landry 87%, Parker 18%, Stills 55%

On another note, I'm surprised Landry is taking shots at the Fins,he should be thanking them for that contract....

Last edited:
when it comes to parker, its just frustrating because he has all the potential, measurables and skills to be very very good but he just cant get it together. He will make a ridiculous one handed highlight reel catch then disappear for the rest of the game.

i would love for him to be a dominant receiver, a star receiver, but i just dont honestly think he will ever be more than just "one of the guys" in the receiver room. I hope im wrong, i really do but based on what weve seen so far im not overly optimistic and im certainly not counting on it.

If Parker has a good year, all his detractors will say he finally got "passion" for the game, or finally "wants it", instead of logically deducing that the circumstances hindered him.

This guy is by far the best reciever we have. The only knock on him is his ability to stay healthy. The comments of his lack of desire to win or suceed because of his unwillingness to play through injuries are ludicrous.

What's crazy to me is coming out of college the "Jump Ball" is what people called his specialty. The one area where he would win more times than he lost. His ability to track, outleap, and pluck the ball out of the air at its highest point.

No. We've all watched Parker play in the pros. The only balls that he loves to jump for are in rhythm throws with no safety help, and no real route adjustments. Make him make one adjustment on the route and he's already unable to read or high point. Maybe an exaggeration, but it proves a point.

Here's the play in question. All Parker has to do is continue the route and leap. Instead he loses footwork, and loses the ball. Never really getting off the ground. He caused the INT pure and simple.

Painful, but watch it again. Cost Miami the tie and momentum going into overtime. [And it's only one of a handful of similar plays.] NOTE: It starts at the 4:34 mark. The embed won't allow the time marker. Just fast forward.

1. Go back and read the lengthy discussions of this from last year and the year before. There's some historical proof, which please don't expect me to do all the work finding. I've summarized it well by saying that only TBaum was that high on him.

2. Present proof: IF multiple teams were that high on Carroo, willing to draft that highly and give up that many draft pics, Miami should easily find a trade partner for him now, right? Now that such a highly valued player at draft time has had two years to develop, lol. Should be able to get a second round pick for him, at least. So highly valued by so many teams at draft time, and two years experience now.

Like I said before, "C'mon, man!"

LD
p.s. IF Miami is able to get at least a 6th round draft pick for him, come final roster cuts, I'll admit that you were right.

The person on the team banging the drum hardest for Carroo was the WR Coach at the time Shawn Jefferson who thought he was the best WR in the class.

The other premise of your argument is weak. Just because a team rated a guy worthy of a 3rd rounder years ago, doesn’t mean they’re willing to give a pick and a roster spot sight unseen to the guy years later after he’s done nothing but disappoint.

That idea isn’t logical in the least. These teams are engaging in constant Bayesian updating, new information being assimilated in with the old. The new information on Leonte Carroo ever since he was drafted has been almost pure bad.

He was a mistake, and everyone involved needs to take some blame for that. But let’s not pretend it was JUST Tannenbaum. Let’s not pretend no other teams liked him. Re-writing history is not a worthwhile endeavor.

As for DeVante Parker, I was a big Melvin Gordon fan and he’s a player that I think most would agree would have been better than Parker. But I’m perfectly happy with Kenyan Drake, and let’s also not pretend there were a ton of players available, commonly rated high, that have turned out to be better than DeVante.

Drafting is hard, man. There are 31 other teams spending millions of dollars, man hours, and expert resources with the goal of intercepting the good players before you get a crack at them. It’s almost impossible to get ahead and stay ahead, but REALLY easy to fall behind.

The person on the team banging the drum hardest for Carroo was the WR Coach at the time Shawn Jefferson who thought he was the best WR in the class.

The other premise of your argument is weak. Just because a team rated a guy worthy of a 3rd rounder years ago, doesn’t mean they’re willing to give a pick and a roster spot sight unseen to the guy years later after he’s done nothing but disappoint.

That idea isn’t logical in the least. These teams are engaging in constant Bayesian updating, new information being assimilated in with the old. The new information on Leonte Carroo ever since he was drafted has been almost pure bad.

He was a mistake, and everyone involved needs to take some blame for that. But let’s not pretend it was JUST Tannenbaum. Let’s not pretend no other teams liked him. Re-writing history is not a worthwhile endeavor.

Do you really think he's played poorly or is it more he hasn't mad an impact on the few chances he's been given? Have we've seen more evidence of poor route running, dropped pass or not knowing his assignment than would be typical for a first or second year player? I haven't seen enough of him to make that call, but I know you watch a lot more tape and break things down. What have you seen him do that's really poor?

I think the team is sold on going into the season with Parker, Stills, Wilson, Amendola and Grant. Not sure they will look at a 6th on the 53-man roster. I think the odds are greatly against Carroo make the roster, but I don't know that we've had enough game tape of him to really say what he's doing well or poorly.

If Parker has a good year, all his detractors will say he finally got "passion" for the game, or finally "wants it", instead of logically deducing that the circumstances hindered him.

This guy is by far the best reciever we have. The only knock on him is his ability to stay healthy. The comments of his lack of desire to win or suceed because of his unwillingness to play through injuries are ludicrous.

I think you mean he's by far the most physically talented WR we have but that doesn't really mean best does it? Otherwise Megatron would be the best WR is NFL history.

"Best" receiver means more than physical attributes alone.

"Best", means most mentally prepared. It means making the down field block. It means being consistent in route running. It means being available.

Although Parker has the most ability, he is not the " best" receiver on the team, IMO.

Stills, and Amendola are both better at their craft.

Trust me, I'm not trying to be revisionist. Revisionism is indeed WEAK. And disingenuous.

I'm making an honest point: No one, to my knowledge, was "Three draft picks, 3rd round high" on Carroo. Else he could easily be moved now for picks, even late round. And I fully grant the point of constantly updating information. However, teams are constantly picking up players that had negative post-draft updates with other teams -- if they themselves had an original high grade. Every team in the league (it seems) thinks it can bring out the *potential* that other teams missed -- with their scheme or staff or context or culture, etc. We see it all the time! Every year. And sometimes they are right... but it's usually the same teams that are right, and the same ones that are wrong.

My point is solid: IF other teams were that high on Carroo, coming out, he should be an easy trade come final cuts. I'm willing to grant even a 6th rounder, to be proven wrong. Even a 7th.

LD
p.s. I appreciate the info on Jefferson being the main drummer boy, btw. Makes me feel slightly better about Tannenbaum... slightly, lol.
p.s. 2 -- and just to prove the good faith nature of my claim, here's what I'll do: If, come final cuts, Miami is able to move Carroo for anything at all, instead of merely releasing him, I'll donate a Finheaven VIP membership to the poster of your choice.

Last edited:
As for DeVante Parker, I was a big Melvin Gordon fan and he’s a player that I think most would agree would have been better than Parker. But I’m perfectly happy with Kenyan Drake, and let’s also not pretend there were a ton of players available, commonly rated high, that have turned out to be better than DeVante.

Drafting is hard, man. There are 31 other teams spending millions of dollars, man hours, and expert resources with the goal of intercepting the good players before you get a crack at them. It’s almost impossible to get ahead and stay ahead, but REALLY easy to fall behind.

Dang. Ain't that the truth.

And that's why it's been so hard to be a Phin fan, the last many years. It's almost as if they were trying to stay behind, in talent analysis and acquistion, FO and coaching...

LD

I'm not big on Parker, but I do remember hearing a stat on Locked on Dolphins about how he consistently faced the opponents top CB at a higher rate than most anyone in the NFL.

We'll see what happens this year, but if he balls out I'd be worried to sign him to a big contract, unless it was heavily incentivized.

I'm not big on Parker, but I do remember hearing a stat on Locked on Dolphins about how he consistently faced the opponents top CB at a higher rate than most anyone in the NFL.

We'll see what happens this year, but if he balls out I'd be worried to sign him to a big contract, unless it was heavily incentivized.

Right. Say he has his best year yet... will he then be worth 13-14 million a year?

LD

Right. Say he has his best year yet... will he then be worth 13-14 million a year?

LD

I'm one of of the bigger Parker supporters you will fine, but I would have a hard time signing off on paying him $14 million per year. Too many receivers with decent potential enter the league each year, resulting in draft possibilities and decent veteran free agent finds at the position. If I believe the team could survive without paying big dollars to Landry, which I do, I think the could survive without paying Parker. I'm thinking I would offer Parker a deal in the area of what Stills got, maybe a little move based on the rate contracts grow each year.

Back
Top Bottom