Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Changing Dynamics Of Miami Dolphins Receivers Be A Jolt For Devante Parker’s Career?

I'm one of of the bigger Parker supporters you will fine, but I would have a hard time signing off on paying him $14 million per year. Too many receivers with decent potential enter the league each year, resulting in draft possibilities and decent veteran free agent finds at the position. If I believe the team could survive without paying big dollars to Landry, which I do, I think the could survive without paying Parker. I'm thinking I would offer Parker a deal in the area of what Stills got, maybe a little move based on the rate contracts grow each year.

That's a fair take -- and I would be fine with that too. That would not be overpaying based on one year, and would solidify Miami's WR corps at a slightly better than average level for a few years. Which, given what Miami has trotted out at WR in the not-too-distant past, is an upgrade.

LD

Frustrating player, all the physical talent in the world but hasn't put it all together on a consistent basis. If he plays up to potential (big if) then the high expectations people have for this offense may come true. If not, more of the same. Alot hinges on Parker imo

Do you really think he's played poorly or is it more he hasn't mad an impact on the few chances he's been given? Have we've seen more evidence of poor route running, dropped pass or not knowing his assignment than would be typical for a first or second year player? I haven't seen enough of him to make that call, but I know you watch a lot more tape and break things down. What have you seen him do that's really poor?

I think the team is sold on going into the season with Parker, Stills, Wilson, Amendola and Grant. Not sure they will look at a 6th on the 53-man roster. I think the odds are greatly against Carroo make the roster, but I don't know that we've had enough game tape of him to really say what he's doing well or poorly.

Despite reputations, Leonte Carroo got here as a rookie and did not take things seriously for his entire first year. The team weren't happy with him. He has admitted he did wrong. But in some ways when you do that, the damage is done.

He tried to reinvent himself in his second year. He got opportunities. He was on the field for 101 pass snaps. He produced 69 yards on 12 throws, 7 of them caught. He didn't force a single missed tackle. He got 12 yards after the catch.

We talk a lot about Jakeem Grant. He got LESS of a chance than Leonte Carroo did in 2017. He got only 92 pass snaps. But he turned that into 203 yards on 21 attempts, 13 of them caught. He did it by causing 7 missed tackles, creating 150 yards after the catch.

One of these two took his fate into his own hands and did the work of showing he's worth a lot more attention. The other...just...didn't. You don't get to be a starter in this league because you "deserve" it until you prove absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't deserve it anymore. You get opportunities, you run with it. Carroo never did. Not as a rookie, not as a second year, not in preseason.

Even in preseason Leonte Carroo has had 110 pass snaps, only produced 90 yards on 12 attempts, 9 of them catches. Again, not a single missed tackle. About 29 yards after the catch. That's really just not very good.

Again compare to Jakeem Grant, who had 81 pass snaps, producing 303 yards on 22 attempts, 13 of them catches, forcing 2 missed tackles and gaining 129 yards after the catch. All of that is incredible. He went out and seized it. Leonte Carroo has been...just a body out there.

Right. Say he has his best year yet... will he then be worth 13-14 million a year?

LD
Maybe to another team, but not to mine. We've got our "big, athletic, jump ball" threat. Frankly, I'm more excited to see what Wilson and Grant could do in expanded roles. I've seen what Parker's got.

I recall reading that WRs take on average 4 years in the NFL for things to click.

Not sure if that helps Devante or not but regardless, he has to make a consistent positive impact in most games this year.

I hope his ankles have healed...

Maybe to another team, but not to mine. We've got our "big, athletic, jump ball" threat. Frankly, I'm more excited to see what Wilson and Grant could do in expanded roles. I've seen what Parker's got.

We've got our jumpball threat? What if he doesn't pan out? You haven't even seen the guy take a snap for us.

Parkers upside is still thru the roof

Saying this about a receiver going into his 4th year is silly imo.. Its notoriously one of the hardest positions to learn/get used to at the NFL level...Parker has plenty of room to grow still, Id bet a lot on it.

Imagine if the Eagles didn't give up on Cris Carter who had a terrible first 4 years of his career there (much worse than Parker)...Instead he went to Minnesota and is now in the HoF as one of the best WRs ever..Same with Steve Smith and many others, good thing the Panthers were patient with Smith as his first 4 years were terrible as well... Antonio Brown's first 3 years were unimpressive, absolutely nothing like the last 5...

There are many more examples, not every great receiver comes in and dominates from their rookie year on ala Randy Moss..

Last edited:
I recall reading that WRs take on average 4 years in the NFL for things to click.

Not sure if that helps Devante or not but regardless, he has to make a consistent positive impact in most games this year.

I hope his ankles have healed...

There is truth to this, I looked up the numbers to prove it. If any position in the NFL deserves a good 5-6 years to really reach true potential, its WR.

Saying this about a receiver going into his 4th year is silly imo.. Its notoriously one of the hardest positions to learn/get used to at the NFL level...Parker has plenty of room to grow still, Id bet a lot on it.

Imagine if the Eagles didn't give up on Cris Carter who had a terrible first 4 years of his career there (much worse than Parker)...Instead he went to Minnesota and is now in the HoF as one of the best WRs ever..Same with Steve Smith and many others, good thing the Panthers were patient with Smith as his first 4 years were terrible as well... Antonio Brown's first 3 years were unimpressive, absolutely nothing like the last 5...

There are many more examples, not every great receiver comes in and dominates from their rookie year on ala Randy Moss..
Please see what I was responding to...
Right. Say he has his best year yet... will he then be worth 13-14 million a year?

LD
Look, all I'm saying is I'm not interested in signing him at $14M per, after 3 years of questionable work ethic, and one year of solid production. I'd be somewhat more comfortable at ~$10.5M or so. I'm leary of anyone who suddenly balls out in a contract year who seemed to lack motivation previously. Call me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom