Will Fuller on Jaylen Waddle and Dolphins' wide receiver group: 'You can't teach speed' | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Fuller on Jaylen Waddle and Dolphins' wide receiver group: 'You can't teach speed'

Fast backs and WRs go undrafted all the time. Most of the experiments where a team brings in a track star fail b/c there's a difference between track speed and football speed. I tend to bristle when posters advocate for a player based on nothing more than measurables. I see it as evidence of somebody having very little understanding of football. What I want to see is if a player can play fast. Fortunately, I see Fuller, Waddle and Wilson as three players who are very fast people and very fast football players.

I see Grant as a fast person, but he becomes inconsistent trying to catch while moving fast. Bowden is a good player, but that 40 time seems fictional to me. He's incredibly quick and shifty, but I don't see him run away from defenders or erase angles like Fuller, Waddle and Wilson do.
I bolded the above three WRs because IMO these are three of our FOUR "starting" WRs, along with PARKER.

Just wondering what your opinion is on who the first (starting 3) WRs will be?

Maybe I'm over thinking here but IF EVERYONE IS HEALTHY, our wideouts are PARKER & WADDLE/FULLER, with WILSON in the slot.

WADDLE can definitely play the slot but I like him out wide better & a healthy WILSON would be lethal with those wideouts occupying the corners plus safety's attention.

I'm sure they'll switch it up quite a bit, just wondering who our "starters" are at WR with these new additions...?

I LOVE our options FINALLY!!!

I bolded the above three WRs because IMO these are three of our FOUR "starting" WRs, along with PARKER.

Maybe I'm over thinking here but IF EVERYONE IS HEALTHY, our wideouts are PARKER & WADDLE/FULLER, with WILSON in the slot.

WADDLE can definitely play the slot but I like him out wide better & a healthy WILSON would be lethal with those wideouts occupying the corners plus safety's attention.

I'm sure they'll switch it up quite a bit, just wondering who our "starters" are at WR with these new additions...?

If Waddle is what I believe him to be, i think he lines up mostly in the slot, but moved around, depending on what mismatch, or flaw they are trying to exploit.

I think you will see 4 different recievers, and 2 different TEs lining up in the slot position at times this year.

I'm not sure it matters who are labeled "starters". A lot of capable weapons, and they will all get the snaps the coaches deem they deserve.

Last edited:
If Waddle is what I believe him to be, i think he lines up mostly in the slot, but moved around, depending on what mismatch, or flaw they are trying to exploit.

I think you will see 4 different recievers, and 2 different TEs lining up in the slot position at times this year.

I'm not sure it matters who are labeled "starters". I a lot of capable weapons, and they will all getvtge snaps the coaches deem they deserve.
Pretty sure I read a stat that Parker lined up in the slot mote than you would think, and really effective from there as well.

I'm working or id try to find it again.

I'm not sure it matters who are labeled "starters". I a lot of capable weapons, and they will all getvtge snaps the coaches deem they deserve.
WADDLE has me confused (in a good way).

Just really looking forward to seeing how they all are actually utilized.

This is going to be such a fun year, I can feel it!

Putting on my full-on rose colored glasses here 'cause I reall do think we're going to shock the league due to the additions of course, but really because of TUA's development. I honestly think he's going to have a GREAT year. Virtually fully healed with an entire preseason plus the previous years game experience, along with his incredible work ethic... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Fast backs and WRs go undrafted all the time. Most of the experiments where a team brings in a track star fail b/c there's a difference between track speed and football speed. I tend to bristle when posters advocate for a player based on nothing more than measurables. I see it as evidence of somebody having very little understanding of football. What I want to see is if a player can play fast. Fortunately, I see Fuller, Waddle and Wilson as three players who are very fast people and very fast football players.

I see Grant as a fast person, but he becomes inconsistent trying to catch while moving fast. Bowden is a good player, but that 40 time seems fictional to me. He's incredibly quick and shifty, but I don't see him run away from defenders or erase angles like Fuller, Waddle and Wilson do.
Measurables matter is you have enough data and know what to look for. Just looking at a 40 time doesn't tell you true football speed.
I love the 3 cone drill as it is one of the more balanced events, Under 7 is above average get below 6.6 that is elite. Only problem is a lot of guy opt not to run this. 20 yard shuttle is a good one as well. Below 4.3 is above average get to 4.1 and below becomes elite. But again not all guys run this. Also for football speed I look at the 10 yard split on their 40 time.

I wish we had these #s for Waddle. We know he is a 4.3 guy by watching he run against Ruggs. But Waddle has a more rare type of overall football speed. Waddle was a step or so faster at the 10 yard make but Ruggs made it back up in the last half. Ruggs is fast but more elite track speed with good /very good football speed. Ruggs ran 4.27 40 with a ten yard spit of 1.54. A guy like Edelman ran a 4.52 with a 10 yard split of 1.52.

To me Waddle has that tip top football speed. Hill is the only WR I know of that ran a 4.3 40 with a 1.5 or below 10 yard split and a sub 6.6 3 cone. I think Waddle is right at those type #s. Now some other guys gave that type speed/quickness as well they just tend to play CB. Few guysI know like that over the years where Revis, Champ Baily, Patrick Peterson.

I read that too.
albert wilson will get his, but just thinking about Waddle and Fuller outside and Parker destroying people from the slot (and mike gesicki doing what mike gesicki does) is awesome.

albert wilson will get his, but just thinking about Waddle and Fuller outside and Parker destroying people from the slot (and mike gesicki doing what mike gesicki does) is awesome.
If Parker could stay healthy he could be an Allen Robinson type WR. AR played like 50% from the slot in 2019 nit sure about last year but probably the same. Parker has great burst of the line, he clocked a 1.51 10 yard split. Which is the same as Fuller, faster then Grant (1.54). Parker has just been slowed down by hamstring problems even when he plays a lot of the time he is not 100%.

I agree position names really aren't important on our team. 11 weapons on the field.

For example?
As group of wr.. we look good. 40yr dash just straight spd. Football spd is another spd...as fast fuller or wilson is. They still dont have 1000 yd received in single sesson..they both been in nfl over 4 yr..

Last edited:

I love Wilson, but I worry that he might not make the team just due to salary decisions. But assuming he does, those are my top four as well. While I think that Waddle is an easy and natural fit as the slot, long term I want him to develop as an outside guy too. Given that he's a rookie, I could see the team primarily playing him in the slot at first. There's a lot to learn as a rookie and they may try to bring him along slowly. And you know they're going to have some gadget plays for him as well so he'll still have plenty to do.

I think our starters in base will be Parker, Fuller and Gesicki and 3-wide Parker, Fuller, Waddle. I expect that Wilson, Bowden and Gesicki will be heavily involved in the sub packages.

Measurables matter is you have enough data and know what to look for. Just looking at a 40 time doesn't tell you true football speed.
I love the 3 cone drill as it is one of the more balanced events, Under 7 is above average get below 6.6 that is elite. Only problem is a lot of guy opt not to run this. 20 yard shuttle is a good one as well. Below 4.3 is above average get to 4.1 and below becomes elite. But again not all guys run this. Also for football speed I look at the 10 yard split on their 40 time.

I wish we had these #s for Waddle. We know he is a 4.3 guy by watching he run against Ruggs. But Waddle has a more rare type of overall football speed. Waddle was a step or so faster at the 10 yard make but Ruggs made it back up in the last half. Ruggs is fast but more elite track speed with good /very good football speed. Ruggs ran 4.27 40 with a ten yard spit of 1.54. A guy like Edelman ran a 4.52 with a 10 yard split of 1.52.

To me Waddle has that tip top football speed. Hill is the only WR I know of that ran a 4.3 40 with a 1.5 or below 10 yard split and a sub 6.6 3 cone. I think Waddle is right at those type #s. Now some other guys gave that type speed/quickness as well they just tend to play CB. Few guysI know like that over the years where Revis, Champ Baily, Patrick Peterson.
While I agree that measurables matter it's only in the context of being able to play at that speed. If I can only run say a 5.0 40 and an 8.0 in my 3 cone then its almost impossible that my play speed will be fast. But if I run a 4.3 40 and a 6.6 3-cone my play speed may or may not be that fast. I think people too often make the mistake of just looking at the measurables b/c it's much easier than grinding film.

And I agree that's what makes Waddle potentially special. We had a ton of reports about how Waddle's GPS numbers were the best in college football. I got the impression that they were the best GPS numbers (in terms of play speed) ever recorded at the college level, but I have no idea how many years of data they have. We in the public don't see that full data yet, but my understanding is that the teams do. If his numbers were as impressive as has been suggested it would explain why Miami may have had Waddle as the #2 player in the whole draft and why the couple draft scores we saw leaked from other teams seemed to have Waddle in the same range on their board.

I personally had Ruggs rated well below Waddle in their respective drafts. I had Waddle as a far superior route runner with better hands and I suspect that if we had 3 cone numbers for both that Waddle's would be better. I just think Waddle is a better football player, but if I were building a track team to run, say the 100 meter then I'd have Ruggs rated higher.

My hope is, whoever the speed guys are, Miami has plays where, say, Parker is in the slot with waddle/Fuller out wide, but, pre-snap, waddle and Parker switch places. That would be fun to watch. Miami has the weapons to move players almost anywhere. I hope the OCs don't waste those options.

My hope is, whoever the speed guys are, Miami has plays where, say, Parker is in the slot with waddle/Fuller out wide, but, pre-snap, waddle and Parker switch places. That would be fun to watch. Miami has the weapons to move players almost anywhere. I hope the OCs don't waste those options.
I hope all the guys move all over the damn place. Motion on every play! Multiple players in Multiple positions. Create havoc for the Def coordinator.

I love Wilson, but I worry that he might not make the team just due to salary decisions. But assuming he does, those are my top four as well. While I think that Waddle is an easy and natural fit as the slot, long term I want him to develop as an outside guy too. Given that he's a rookie, I could see the team primarily playing him in the slot at first. There's a lot to learn as a rookie and they may try to bring him along slowly. And you know they're going to have some gadget plays for him as well so he'll still have plenty to do.

I think our starters in base will be Parker, Fuller and Gesicki and 3-wide Parker, Fuller, Waddle. I expect that Wilson, Bowden and Gesicki will be heavily involved in the sub packages.
Agreed raf.

I really want to keep a healthy? WILSON & see what he can do with the all the new additions plus a 'veteran' TUA.

So nice to have legitimate options.

Back
Top Bottom