Will Grier Vs. Drew Locke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Grier Vs. Drew Locke

BennySwella

We need better LB's
Reaction score
These guys look like 2 of the best QB's in the draft but who is better? Do you guys think anyone else is better than these 2?

Herbert seems overhyped, and his film doesn't jump out to me.

Locke and Grier look like the gunslinger types and I would love to see someone who could throw like that here. Watch them both control the pocket, they look better than RT17 already.

Drew Locke needs alot of work. All he has is a nice deep ball. Not much else

I think Lock wants to have dead feet. He shuffles them around a little bit this year as opposed to last year but he's not absorbed real pocket or foot movement.

His accuracy is alright, but it's nothing special. He's got a low career completion percentage, having mostly played in an offense that should have given him a completion bonus. He stuck around because he wanted to play in Derek Dooley's offense which is fit to him, and yet he's had trouble absorbing it and really showing an understanding.

When I see him play, I see a guy that doesn't get the football out quickly, which means he's not developing a good plan pre-snap. I see a guy that doesn't anticipate and is often late. These are all part of the reason he doesn't get a high completion. He's pretty spotty when it comes to showing great touch, too.

The arm is very good, clearly. It's a pro caliber arm all the way. And he's got a good body, good enough athletic ability. He looks like a pro. I saw Slimm compare him to Bryce Petty and I think that's a very smart comparison.

Both are a little sketchy to me.

Lock is 7-20 against SEC competition with a 49% completion percentage and 27 INT's. He's being overrated due to his arm strength being upper echelon for the NFL. Certainly not a 1st round quarterback in my opinion.

Locke is just not very interesting to me.

Grier does some things very well, but he's older (will be 24 in April), and I think his arm falls short of what you want - more of a Ryan Fitzpatrick than a quality starter.

I don't like Locke at all. Grier is interesting to me. He turns the ball over, but I like his feet and I his want to make big plays.

Other than Herbert, which seem like a consensus first QB taken at this point, which could easily change from here til then of course, what other QB's are better that are coming out this year?

I personally don't see what everyone sees in Herbert other than his size. He is good, but are his meaurables skewing things to make him seem like the best prospect?

Furthermore, do you think any of the deficiencies that either of them have(Grier and Lock) could be coached to improve substantially at the next level?

Locke is just not very interesting to me.

Grier does some things very well, but he's older (will be 24 in April), and I think his arm falls short of what you want - more of a Ryan Fitzpatrick than a quality starter.
Locke is a chad Henne type talent to me.

Herbert will go #1 overall.
Id take Lock, but I think Lock will go top 10 too, and may even go top 5. I don't think we'll have a shot.
Id pass on Grier.

I think Lock wants to have dead feet. He shuffles them around a little bit this year as opposed to last year but he's not absorbed real pocket or foot movement.

His accuracy is alright, but it's nothing special. He's got a low career completion percentage, having mostly played in an offense that should have given him a completion bonus. He stuck around because he wanted to play in Derek Dooley's offense which is fit to him, and yet he's had trouble absorbing it and really showing an understanding.

When I see him play, I see a guy that doesn't get the football out quickly, which means he's not developing a good plan pre-snap. I see a guy that doesn't anticipate and is often late. These are all part of the reason he doesn't get a high completion. He's pretty spotty when it comes to showing great touch, too.

The arm is very good, clearly. It's a pro caliber arm all the way. And he's got a good body, good enough athletic ability. He looks like a pro. I saw Slimm compare him to Bryce Petty and I think that's a very smart comparison.

You are 100% right about the dead feet, but the arm talent is there. Can he be coached to move his feet better? What is crazy is that he is actually mobile and quick from watching the tape. His arm strength and his deep ball accuracy seem to be the best from the QB's I see in college right now, at least coming out in the draft. Who in your mind is better than him in those aspects?

His film pops because he has guys who can get him YAC TD's but he also has great touch passes deep that I am not seeing from other prospects.

Drew Lock has always looked completely out of his league against SEC competition. He's easily confused by different defensive looks, poor accuracy, bad decision making and unexcusably loose ball security in the pocket.

Most of all, it's his reaction to pressure that tells you all you need to know. It's very similar to what I said about Ryan Tannehill coming out of aTm - Lock's natural instinct against pressure is to backpedal and throw off his back foot.

Drew Lock looks like he already has one leg in a pair of Dolphin pants.

I agree, that is a big knock on Drew Lock. He is 0-3 in SEC, and overall barely has a winning record at 4-3 this season. Talent and performance have to translate to wins. We'll see at the end of the year how it turns out.

I just often think about quarterbacks that, as a rule of thumb, fast feet = fast mind, and slow feet = slow mind.

No coincidence that Drew Lock constantly looks late on throws (to me, anyway), late seeing the defense (or not at all), and then also shows a tendency to want to have sluggish feet.

I don't see the attraction. Another J.P. Losman to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom