Will Grier Vs. Drew Locke | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Grier Vs. Drew Locke

Drew Lock has always looked completely out of his league against SEC competition. He's easily confused by different defensive looks, poor accuracy, bad decision making and unexcusably loose ball security in the pocket.

Most of all, it's his reaction to pressure that tells you all you need to know. It's very similar to what I said about Ryan Tannehill coming out of aTm - Lock's natural instinct against pressure is to backpedal and throw off his back foot.

Drew Lock looks like he already has one leg in a pair of Dolphin pants.

With this being said.Is this more a player problem(football smarts)? Or can this be fixed with Coaching?

QB Guru Gase likes him?

With this being said.Is this more a player problem(football smarts)? Or can this be fixed with Coaching?

QB Guru Gase likes him?

You can coach him up on the ball security but this kid is a Senior - a 4 year starter. If he hasn't figured it out by now I'm not sure what else you can do. It's not like Sam Darnold who was a 20 year old RS Sophomore with one season of starting experience entering the draft with ball security issues and just needed some coaching.

I have no idea what Adam Gase likes. But judging from the QB's he's been associated with I'm not impressed. I have concerns regarding how coachable Drew Lock is. I see some red flags there. Furthermore, you can coach skills, but you can't coach traits. Lock has a lot of poor traits in my opinion.

NFL teams can look at him and hope all they want. They do it every year with quarterbacks with poor traits. But there's no way you can watch this kid week in and week out for 4 years and come away believing he's the answer to your quarterback woes. Ain't no way.

I went and watched both on some Youtube games/highlights. Here's my take with the caveat that I am not a scout.

Will Grier reminds of Mason Rudolph, which for me is a good thing. He's deep ball is pretty accurate, you can actually see him going through his progressions, his athletic ability is functional, pretty accurate. Footwork looks good. Rudolph went in the third, Grier will likely be pushed up due to lack of quarterbacks in this class.

I agree with CK on Drew Lock's feet. A coach is going to have to work on that. He does play in the RPO offense quite a lot and is flat-footed on many of those attempts. His arm strength looks good and he uses his feet better when he has to throw longer patterns. A four-year starter, but said to be more of a quiet guy. I think you want an alpha dog at quarterback.

Other than Herbert, which seem like a consensus first QB taken at this point, which could easily change from here til then of course, what other QB's are better that are coming out this year?

I personally don't see what everyone sees in Herbert other than his size. He is good, but are his meaurables skewing things to make him seem like the best prospect?

Furthermore, do you think any of the deficiencies that either of them have(Grier and Lock) could be coached to improve substantially at the next level?
That's the question really isn't it? Can these guys be players with good coaching?

Going through some of the quarterbacks, I'm far from inspired by this group. To the point where I'd rather see the team follow the talent in the draft. I can't remember so many talented defensive lineman in one draft and that's a huge need for Miami. At the same time, I do think job #1 is getting the quarterback of the future. Trade options and free agency are possibilities as well.

Drafting a QB is imperative in my opinion unless we sign several free agents to compete... plus we could do our due diligence and see if there are any potential acorns in the back of the draft.

I am fine with drafting defensive and offensive line in the first rounds as long as the QB issue issue is addressed multiple times over. This team is QB starved and it's time we overeat.

Drafting a QB is imperative in my opinion unless we sign several free agents to compete... plus we could do our due diligence and see if there are any potential acorns in the back of the draft.

I am fine with drafting defensive and offensive line in the first rounds as long as the QB issue issue is addressed multiple times over. This team is QB starved and it's time we overeat.
I agree. Maybe someone like Teddy Bridgewater in free agency, who was making progress in Minnesota before the injury and a mid-round quarterback.

I like McSorley. Agree with J-Off that his ball placement could be better. That's probably the one thing holding me back on McSorley, moving like to love. He reminds me of a Rich Gannon-type. Pretty good athlete and seems to have a bit of an it factor. He shows zip on intermediate throws, but puts a lot of air on his deep passes making many of them contested throws. That's where he needs work.

I don't want to get into the completion percentage thing, although I will say the circumstances with Oregon's offensive structure make that figure a lot less understandable than it was with Josh Allen as an example.

However I don't know that it's just one game with Herbert. I didn't like his game against Washington State, either.

And when you get down to it, the best you can say about Herbert in the Washington game is that he somewhat hung in there and won the game, but I felt like he got BAILED OUT many times in that game. It probably should've gone down as just a poor performance in a regulation loss, rather than a poor performance in an overtime win. He made two or three big throws in the game, but a lot of mistakes, and frankly I thought Browning out-played him (though I don't like Browning for the NFL).

We're now on THREE consecutive conference games...where Herbert has been pretty lackluster. This isn't Bowling Green, Portland State, or San Jose State anymore.

You can't just end your season on a high note after playing well against Stanford and Cal. Leading a team means playing through the meat of your conference schedule.

It's something to keep watch on, IMO.

Drew Lock has always looked completely out of his league against SEC competition. He's easily confused by different defensive looks, poor accuracy, bad decision making and unexcusably loose ball security in the pocket.

Most of all, it's his reaction to pressure that tells you all you need to know. It's very similar to what I said about Ryan Tannehill coming out of aTm - Lock's natural instinct against pressure is to backpedal and throw off his back foot.

LOL, you are right, your description makes him sound like the prototypical QB we would draft. Obviously that's not a good thing.

:lol:

We will know a lot more about Will Grier with these last four tough games. 13 WVU at 17 Texas today 3:30PM on FOX Sports. Should be a good game!

Last edited:
Watching Lock against the Gators right now, 5 mins into the 3rd and he's ripping us apart. Got to say very impressive.

Lock is having a good game for sure. Prospects do improve sometimes, has he?

Back
Top Bottom