Will Grier Vs. Drew Locke | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Grier Vs. Drew Locke

I probably don't hate Lock as much as you think. But I do think he has a few weaknesses that you typically see with quarterbacks who struggle with consistency at the next level and tend to have too many really bad games in the NFL.

What I hate is drafting mediocre quarterbacks too high because of one trait.

I've talked briefly about my concern in regards to how he's yet to develop throwing nuanced passes - passes that require touch. Taking a little off so you can drop it behind the LB level and in front of the DB level. He throws everything sidearm and with too low of a trajectory. It's why he struggles throwing into the middle of the field. You're going to have to get his arm slot up to 3/4 and get him away from all that sidearm motion. Otherwise, you can't throw into the middle of the field or up the seam with any consistency.

Rick Neuheisel harped on a lot of this during the game.

Lock has definitely improved his decision making and accounting for box defenders much better late in the season. He's playing better, but the competition also got a little easier.

It looks to me like Dooley is making things easier for him, giving him less to read on individual plays, and some of the defenses he's faced have cooperated with that approach.

I think you take Drew Lock on an RPO all day, and when the middle of the field is wide open off play-action. Just wonder how consistent he can be when things get harder.

The thing he's doing that I appreciate is he's making plays on the move and playing to his strengths, which are his physical gifts. And so is Derek Dooley. That at least makes him a cogent draft prospect that has a chance of succeeding and getting better over time.

Lock can flat out execute the RPO. No question. If I were to be honest, my biggest concerns with Drew Lock aren't anything mechanical. You can point to games here and there, throws here and there, plays here and there - and convince yourself that his issues are fixable. However, the entire body of work simply doesn't add up to a 1st round pick.

My concern with him is more of the intangible variety. I question how competitive he is, and how quickly he can figure things out. I wonder about his personality some and whether he's the type of leader that players gravitate to. He just comes across as very "golly shucks" like Ryan Tannehill in terms of fire and competitiveness. I don't think losses ever really bothered him. You have to hate to lose above anything else in my opinion to be a great quarterback....or a great coach. It's difficult to be 100% certain here on Lock with this assessment, but that's the feeling I get with him.

Ultimately, in the NFL what it comes down to over the long haul is how competitive you are as a quarterback and how much you absolutely hate to lose - and how far you'll go not to suffer it. You can't coach it. Can't teach it, and can't give it to somebody. You just have to determine whether the guy has it or not. I just can't help but come away believing Lock is a mediocre competitor with very real processing flaws. I've just never understood being convinced this kid is any kind of answer to your quarterback woes. A prospect with an arm? Ok.

Lock can flat out execute the RPO. No question. If I were to be honest, my biggest concerns with Drew Lock aren't anything mechanical. You can point to games here and there, throws here and there, plays here and there - and convince yourself that his issues are fixable. However, the entire body of work simply doesn't add up to a 1st round pick.

My concern with him is more of the intangible variety. I question how competitive he is, and how quickly he can figure things out. I wonder about his personality some and whether he's the type of leader that players gravitate to. He just comes across as very "golly shucks" like Ryan Tannehill in terms of fire and competitiveness. I don't think losses ever really bothered him. You have to hate to lose above anything else in my opinion to be a great quarterback....or a great coach. It's difficult to be 100% certain here on Lock with this assessment, but that's the feeling I get with him.

Ultimately, in the NFL what it comes down to over the long haul is how competitive you are as a quarterback and how much you absolutely hate to lose - and how far you'll go not to suffer it. You can't coach it. Can't teach it, and can't give it to somebody. You just have to determine whether the guy has it or not. I just can't help but come away believing Lock is a mediocre competitor with very real processing flaws. I've just never understood being convinced this kid is any kind of answer to your quarterback woes. A prospect with an arm? Ok.

That's a great point about a QB, hating to lose is something that as you say can't be coached up, Brady has that and it's a large part of why he is so successful, unfortunately Tannehill does not. Lock from what I understand has lineage in Mizzou, his father and grandfather played for them, he obviously should be deeply invested in them, so if he doesn't appear to care if he wins or loses as the starting QB for these guys, how is he going to feel about losing at a team like Miami where he has no affiliation to. It's a great point, that will to win may come out during the draft process.

Back
Top Bottom