Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ?

No. There are only two guaranteed misses in this draft, not securing an edge rusher, and not getting talent to build around Tua. I'm confident we'll get those two things. RB's aren't make or break for many teams, and we have some talent in case we don't draft a RB. I suspect we'll draft a RB somewhere, but if we don't, there's always FA ... if we make better decisions than Jordan Howard and Matt Breida. While Etienne, Harris or Williams would be ideal ... the entire concept of Best Player Available (BPA) means you cannot hone in on a specific position. And as far as cornerstone players, RB's are not it at this point of time in the NFL.
Thankfully for us Dolphins fans, you're just some random dude on the forums and not our GM, Why?
1. This draft is considered one of the worst for Edge rushers.
2. This draft has some amazing OLBs
3. You are clueless as to the value of a RB. Ask the Steelers what happens when you can't run the ball. They went from undefeated to out of the first round of the play-offs mostly because they couldn't run the ball.

Glad most of you are just Monday morning Quarterbacks and have no real say in how we draft.

I would have no trouble taking Harris at 18. Would also consider trading back, if possible, into low 20s for him. And tell me how Harris, Etienne or Williams wouldnt be a weapon for Tua to utilize???

We have a lot of ‘needs’ and RB is one of them, but getting one in RD 1 is NOT going to make us a playoff team .... so NO!

I do like WILLIAMS, but would not consider him before 36 ... and maybe just roll the dice til 50 .... equally I am a fan of trading down in RD 1 to pick up another RD2 pick .... or at least a RD3 pick to give us some flexibility ...

The more mock drafts that I did, the less I cared about drafting a RB high. I'd rather take a premium guard or center that will anchor the line for 10 years, or a DE/LB if a talented one falls.

I wouldn't complain if we do... It'd be nice to actually have some Dolphin pkaymakers on fantasy football teams. That being said,, RBs take too much abuse and it's hard to invest a high draft pick. Look at the top 20 RBs from just 4 seasons ago... The turnover at the position is incredible.

1. Kareem Hunt, 1327

2. Todd Gurley, 1305

3. Le'Veon Bell, 1291

4. LeSean McCoy, 1138

5. Mark Ingram, 1124

6. Jordan Howard, 1122

7. Melvin Gordon, 1105

8. Leonard Fournette, 1040

9. C.J. Anderson, 1007

10. Ezekiel Elliott, 983

11. Alex Collins, 973

12. Frank Gore, 961

13. Carlos Hyde, 938

14. Dion Lewis, 896

15. Marshawn Lynch, 891

16. Lamar Miller, 888

17. Jay Ajayi, 873

18. Devonta Freeman, 865

19. Isaiah Crowell, 853

20. Latavius Murray, 842

The more mock drafts that I did, the less I cared about drafting a RB high. I'd rather take a premium guard or center that will anchor the line for 10 years, or a DE/LB if a talented one falls.

I wouldn't complain if we do... It'd be nice to actually have some Dolphin pkaymakers on fantasy football teams. That being said,, RBs take too much abuse and it's hard to invest a high draft pick. Look at the top 20 RBs from just 4 seasons ago... The turnover at the position is incredible.

1. Kareem Hunt, 1327

2. Todd Gurley, 1305

3. Le'Veon Bell, 1291

4. LeSean McCoy, 1138

5. Mark Ingram, 1124

6. Jordan Howard, 1122

7. Melvin Gordon, 1105

8. Leonard Fournette, 1040

9. C.J. Anderson, 1007

10. Ezekiel Elliott, 983

11. Alex Collins, 973

12. Frank Gore, 961

13. Carlos Hyde, 938

14. Dion Lewis, 896

15. Marshawn Lynch, 891

16. Lamar Miller, 888

17. Jay Ajayi, 873

18. Devonta Freeman, 865

19. Isaiah Crowell, 853

20. Latavius Murray, 842

All-pro post.

Would I be excited if we took Najee Harris @18? YES! (and I'm a big fan of Zaven Collins) Do I see Grier & co. doing it? No. But if it happens, I'd be ok with it. Think it will help Tua and make our offense more dynamic.

I disagree completely with the guy that trashed our RBs last year. I think both Myles Gaskin & Salvon Ahmed did fine. The league's not the same anymore. You don't need Franco Harris or OJ type guys @ RB.

If we don't take a top RB, look for Chris Evans in the 5th. He could be steal of the draft!

Our Rbs did fine...didnt make the playoffs
Steelers stopped being able to run the ball, lost every game after being 11-0 ?
Name one team in last year's play offs without a running game that didn't go out round 1.
I played HS, Pop Warner in the Army and 3 years in college.
You dudes have no clue how hard it makes it to pass the ball without a running game.
Just pisses me off with all these "couch coaches".

Its really hard to justify spending a first rounder on a player that you're lucky to get three above average years out of. I can understand why a team like the Chiefs went for it, given that their window in now and the immediate returns probably exceed those from most other skill position players selected in the same area. But a franchise like the Dolphins building for 2-3 yrs down the road it seems rather shortsighted to invest such a valuable asset in the position.

Even after the Howard/Breida failures I think that's the market Grier should stick to. Free agents with some mileage that are undervalued because of injury or lack of production or prospects on rookie deals that failed to live up to expectations.

Our Rbs did fine...didnt make the playoffs
Steelers stopped being able to run the ball, lost every game after being 11-0 ?
Name one team in last year's play offs without a running game that didn't go out round 1.
I played HS, Pop Warner in the Army and 3 years in college.
You dudes have no clue how hard it makes it to pass the ball without a running game.
Just pisses me off with all these "couch coaches".
Lack of running game is not the only problem Steelers had. I would look a little closer at that team.

Kansas City does not have what I would consider a super strong run game. Buffalo certainly does not. Tampa Bay is debatable.

I don't know, but it's kind of hard to argue that the importance of RB has diminished significantly over the last 30 years.

it all depends on how the board goes and who we pick where. We don't even know which RB's the team like or don't like. Here most of us agree that the top 3 are Harris, Williams and Etienne in any order but for all we know the FO might like a different guy. We'll have to wait and see who we end up drafting.

Dude come on. KC had Helair and he did fine. I'm going to stop arguing with you morons because I'm getting really pissed off with this. You're ignorant and you don't realize you're ignorant.
I played F-ing football did you? Have you been a receiver trying to pass with your running back out? We're you a TE with ridiculous blocking duties cause your RB was a garbage blocker? So clueless.
I'm not going down to your level think what you want Champ. Drink your beer and scream your expert knowledge at the TV.

Dude come on. KC had Helair and he did fine. I'm going to stop arguing with you morons because I'm getting really pissed off with this. You're ignorant and you don't realize you're ignorant.
I played F-ing football did you? Have you been a receiver trying to pass with your running back out? We're you a TE with ridiculous blocking duties cause your RB was a garbage blocker? So clueless.
I'm not going down to your level think what you want Champ. Drink your beer and scream your expert knowledge at the TV.
If where morons, no one is forcing you to visit the site. Did well before you came here and will be just as good or better when you get hammered.

If any of the top 4 make it to our 3rd round pick.... wouldn't be too upset. Some good value to be had later... getting backs early just doesn't make sense in today's nfl.

I'm not one that discounts the RB position. I think if we don't get one of the top 3 it's a fail. I'm also okay going 1st round. That's definitely split on this board.
I am good with first round rb too. I like Williams from unc. To me, he will translate the best in the NFL. Obviously Harris and ettiene are elite talents as well,, I just don't think they will be there at 18. If they are,, thats a hard one... 1a, pitts - 1b. Williams.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom