Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ?

We need a RB ASAP. I think there are top tier players at this position.4 true RB .
I would love Harris or Williams .
But would settle for The other top backs.
Would this draft be less attractive if we don't get one of the 4 ?
IMHO it would be an inexcusable failure if we didn’t get one of the top 3 backs.

I’d love to get an RB good enough produce consistent yards, get the short yardage when needed, be able to catch and pick up the blitz. If getting all that takes pick 18 then I’m good with it and we get an extra year on the contract. If not then something with a rd2/3 to fit as much possible of the above. I don’t see RBs being worth big contracts so drafting one every 3 or 4 years is a better value IMHO.

Beyond that, I don’t care who we draft as long as those picks perform well and give our team a better chance to win. Our offense seems to need playmakers but also better play calls. I hope we get both.

IMO the best rookie RB last year was undrafted. He did not have a good OL or a decent passing attack and was still very, very good.
I'm referring to James Robinson of the Jags. Over 1,000 yards and 4.5 carry.
While Robinson was certainly an excellent RB for the Jags. The best rookie RB in 2020 was Johnathan Taylor. He averaged over 5 yards per carry and scored 11 tds.

Obviously getting an UDFA running back who put up the stats Robinson did last year was great for the Jags. I think Taylor will be the much better RB over the course of their careers and I still wish the Dolphins had drafted Taylor instead of Iggy in the first round last year.

yes it would, that would be two years in a row we punted on the position in what were both considered deep RB classes. Also had multiple picks in 1st and 2nd round. I have faith Grier will at least grab one at 36. I dont think he will take a receiver high and invest in a RB as well. Seems like it would be too painful for him.

No. Get a rb that can get the job done. They don't have to be in the elite class of running back, just solid and effective. If you added someone who was good enough now and then tried to look for an upgrade in 2022 or 2023 you're still ok. As much as I like Harris and Etienne, I would be ok with Stevenson, Gainwell, Kylin Hill, Trey Sermon and so on and so on. There are backs that will go even later or maybe even undrafted that could be decent in the right situation. I love Gerrid Doaks as a late sleeper... thumper runs down hill and grinds out yards. Larry Roundtree from Missouri is another late round prospect that could outshine players drafted earlier. Just like with so many things in the NFL, there's always more than one path to success. Teams can win with one of those top two or three backs, but teams can win one of the 8th or 9th backs too. It's not like you have to take this one approach or you're doomed to fail.

We really need a true workhorse RB
We are ok with rotational types... I'd say yeah we are a fail if no legit starting RB threat.

Last year the RBs could hardly ever convert a 3rd and short. A cheerleader could tackle them short. They have to get Harris or Etienne this year. You have to help Tua if he struggles again. Run the ball more, screen passes.

What leaves the team the best off?
Failure to fill our hole at RB?
Failure to fill our hole at C?
Failure to fill our hole at OLB?
Failure to fill our hole at EDGE?

I’m assuming we fill the explosive playmaker hole with chase/pitts/smith at 6. Then, IMO failing to fill the RB hole with a 1-2 round pick is the most acceptable of those 4 potential failures.

At 18, 36, 50, if there are potentially elite players at any of those other positions, I think those are priorities over RB. The team is better off by improving the offensive line and staying with mediocre RBs than it is improving the RBs and staying with a mediocre offensive line. And the hole at OLB/EDGE is blindingly glaring at the moment.

We need a RB ASAP. I think there are top tier players at this position.4 true RB .
I would love Harris or Williams .
But would settle for The other top backs.
Would this draft be less attractive if we don't get one of the 4 ?
No but I will cry.

There is a lot of guys who have potential still. Trey Sermon, Chubba Hubbard, Rhamondre Stevenson, Jermar Jefferson. Way too early to say it would be a failure. But it would be disappointing. And we would need to get lucky and find a gem, but Gaskin and Ahmed are decent and they were both late round/UDFA finds. I will be more disappointed if we don’t get a top center or top edge

Back
Top Bottom