Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will it be a failure if we don't draft one of the top 4 RB ?

We can get both If we want, we are positioned. Those are two of my top 4 needs so why not get both.
If last year is an indication, Miami probably has to get the running back at #36. Maybe Dickerson, with some injury concerns, makes it to #50. Meyers is another who could be a target.

Question for the board. Would you prefer to get Humphreys or Dickson and miss out on one of the top three running backs, or get Harris/Williams/Etiennne and miss out on one of the top centers?

I think I'd rather have one of the top centers. There are some mid-round running backs who I think would be a nice complement to what Miami already has in Gaskin and Ahmed.
I'd rather get one of the top Centers.... much, much more.

When I see players like Robinson or Phillip Lindsay making 550K/year... and succeeding, I want to go that direction and save our cap for other positions.

The Fins really don't need a RB as a priority, OL blocking will solve most of the fins problems. If you get a Big Running back an commit to the run a back can be had in the later rounds IMO.

The Fins really don't need a RB as a priority, OL blocking will solve most of the fins problems. If you get a Big Running back an commit to the run a back can be had in the later rounds IMO.
This is the same old tired argument that has gotten our team nowhere. We haven't taken an impact RB in I don't know how long and have been focusing on building the oline for decades...

I'll take Sermon, that duded refuses to go down on first contact. provided he's not injured on the play

This is the same old tired argument that has gotten our team nowhere. We haven't taken an impact RB in I don't know how long and have been focusing on building the oline for decades...
Yes... we have not taken a Punter or a Kicker lately either... let's do that.

Or a Linebacker...

Or a Defensive End...

Or...

I'd rather get one of the top Centers.... much, much more.

When I see players like Robinson or Phillip Lindsay making 550K/year... and succeeding, I want to go that direction and save our cap for other positions.
Ultimately, that could be the choice at #36. I've seen Humphrey mocked all over, even some 1st round love. Dickerson too. I think that #36 pick is where Miami would have to make a choice. Maybe they could wait until 81 for Meyers or Meinerz.

I really think that Etienne and Harris are our best options even as early as 18.
Williams is a distant 3 for me.
The best situation for an RB would be a slight trade back at 18 and draft an LB and an RB with the 1b and 2a selections. Use the additional picks in rounds 2-3 to grab a Center, Edge, and WR (if Pitts at 6)

You may see it as an old arguement, but there is good reason for that.

Unless you can get your hands on a Barry Sanders or Ricky Williams, etc type back (truly elite on their own), if your line play blows, the back makes little difference.

I don't see that type of game altering back in this group.

So we haven't been able to solve our line issues. Does that mean we should just give up trying?

Personally, I think our young O-line guys from last year's draft have some upside potential.

You may see it as an old arguement, but there is good reason for that.

Unless you can get your hands on a Barry Sanders or Ricky Williams, etc type back (truly elite on their own), if your line play blows, the back makes little difference.

I don't see that type of game altering back in this group.

So we haven't been able to solve our line issues. Does that mean we should just give up trying?

Personally, I think our young O-line guys from last year's draft have some upside potential.
Who said give up trying. How many picks did we use last draftnfor Oline....Dline....
How many did we use for RB...WR...

Let's just go ahead and turn your argument around....Mach why are you giving up on skilled positions?

Failure - not at all

Disappointing - Yes to many

I think Miami plans on using a rotation at RB. So getting one of the top guys is nice, but not a need IMO. Just a gut feeling but I think Michael Carter is very high on their list.

Guys like Gainwell, Hubbard, Hill can be had later. Also don't over look Jaret Patterson, he could be a scary good back in the NFL.

I'm happy just to draft talent that slipped too far and fill in the holes through trades, unexpected cuts. No one expected Fournette to suddenly be on the market. I suppose if this were Madden, I'd swap #6 for *Carolina's 8 and 39 and decide which early second rounder to use on rb based on who remained. *Or Den/NYG, whoever's froggy

Who said give up trying. How many picks did we use last draftnfor Oline....Dline....
How many did we use for RB...WR...

Let's just go ahead and turn your argument around....Mach why are you giving up on skilled positions?
I'm not giving up at all. It's more a matter of my general philosophy of building a team inside out, and the fact that I don't see an elite in all phases RB that justifies a top pick.

Believe me, I hope our staff doesn't see the need to draft O-line with our top picks. If they do though, I can't trash them for it.

Like I said, I prefer to develop the young guys, but if Flo believes there is a glaring weakness at RT (for example), doesn't he have to address it?

You can't build a skyscaper on a foundation of sand.

Back
Top Bottom