Will O'Brien be our Pioli? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will O'Brien be our Pioli?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
While I read a few days ago that Scott O'Brien had been heavily helping Saban with the draft preperation, I was starting to think, "Is Saban grooming O'Brien to be our version of Pioli?" Obviosuly if that comes true Spielman would be gone or demoted. Do you think that is Saban's plan for O'Brien?

saban in every way possible is the aqua and orange version of bill belicheck...

i feel good now

I son't know, PFT talked about O'Brien being kind of a snitch for saban with the players (I know that i am not to take PFT seriously, but they are the only ones that have made any comments about what position is O'Brien going to take) I hope he turns out to be like that, I mean this would be the partnership between two great minds (Peter King said O'Brien was the best ST coach of the decade) but I think it is more like an assistant head coach thing.

Nublar7 said:
While I read a few days ago that Scott O'Brien had been heavily helping Saban with the draft preperation, I was starting to think, "Is Saban grooming O'Brien to be our version of Pioli?" Obviosuly if that comes true Spielman would be gone or demoted. Do you think that is Saban's plan for O'Brien?

You might be right on the money with that Nub. Saban even said that the reason O'Brien has been so involved is because he's the only there who has a full understanding of the system he uses to evaluate players. I think we may see Spielman driving a truck for UPS shortly after the draft.

As far as him being a snitch? I just wish PFT would go away. It's the National Enquirer of the NFL.

Quelonio said:
I son't know, PFT talked about O'Brien being kind of a snitch for saban with the players (I know that i am not to take PFT seriously, but they are the only ones that have made any comments about what position is O'Brien going to take) I hope he turns out to be like that, I mean this would be the partnership between two great minds (Peter King said O'Brien was the best ST coach of the decade) but I think it is more like an assistant head coach thing.
How could he already be a snitch after only three months on the job? PFT is at it again with the false info. :shakeno:

Nublar has a point...but I dont think Spieldman will be fired. He has been demoted already, but you have to admit the guy is a good talent evaluator (specially during the later part of the draft), so I believe Saban will keep him around. O'brien, on the other hand, could very well become the Pioli of the South.

PHINSfan said:
Nublar has a point...but I dont think Spieldman will be fired. He has been demoted already, but you have to admit the guy is a good talent evaluator (specially during the later part of the draft), so I believe Saban will keep him around. O'brien, on the other hand, could very well become the Pioli of the South.
I agree, that Spielman shouldn't be fired(ducks to avoid brick) just because of his draft abilities. Really, that should be Speilman's new title, "College Scout". He got possibly one of the biggest steals of the 04' draft in Will Poole, and who would expect a 7th round LB to come in and start a few games, and even score the game winning touchdown in one of the games(49ers).

Nublar7 said:
I agree, that Spielman shouldn't be fired(ducks to avoid brick) just because of his draft abilities. Really, that should be Speilman's new title, "College Scout". He got possibly one of the biggest steals of the 04' draft in Will Poole, and who would expect a 7th round LB to come in and start a few games, and even score the game winning touchdown in one of the games(49ers).

Neither move offsets the outrageous mishandling of the Feeley trade, no way u spend a 2nd rounder on him, the pathetic trade for the Carey pick (4th rounder to move up a spot thats gradeschool stupid), the 3rd rounder for Gordon (another guy 3rd on the depth chart on his team). Thats a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, AND 1st(for Carey) for one decent(maybe) olineman (without a position no less :( ), a BIG maybe at Qb and a backup Rb....terrible moves. Id fire my Mom if she made those moves.
Poole was a highly regarded prospect he had some concerns offield I believe, its not like he came out of nowhere.
I dont just hate on the guy because of Wannestadt, he really has been terrible. A lameman off the street could find a couple of good players and waste a bunch of other picks. The guy wasnt good enough for the job and he shouldnt be around much longer. Unless he takes a huge demotion, hes probaly a decent scout, a hard worker but he was a complete amateur as a GM. Those moves were serious rookie mistakes that proved he was out of his league.

Back
Top Bottom