Will Odrick get his chance to breakout this year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Odrick get his chance to breakout this year?

mattgilm

Island Dolphin
Reaction score
Everyone says the Fins need a pass rusher opposite of Wake but no one has even mentioned Odrick. Odrick was a first round pick with lots of ability but got hurt in his rookie season. He had a decent year in 2011 but got lost in the shuffle of defensive players. I think he has the potential to be a real defensive end force for the Dolphins this year if given the opportunity. We have many good players on this team that just need a chance to shine. Our new coaches idea of developing players on the team is what this franchise has needed for years. :hump:

Everyone says the Fins need a pass rusher opposite of Wake but no one has even mentioned Odrick. Odrick was a first round pick with lots of ability but got hurt in his rookie season. He had a decent year in 2011 but got lost in the shuffle of defensive players. I think he has the potential to be a real defensive end force for the Dolphins this year if given the opportunity. We have many good players on this team that just need a chance to shine. Our new coaches idea of developing players on the team is what this franchise has needed for years. :hump:

who knows it depends on how much we play 4-3 and if he can play an effective 4-3 end, I see him more as a 4-3 dt much like all of our dlinemen

who knows it depends on how much we play 4-3 and if he can play an effective 4-3 end, I see him more as a 4-3 dt much like all of our dlinemen

I agree, but I do love the way he gets to the QB from the 3-4 DE. I think he will have a breakout year as an inside guy at various places along the line of this "hybrid" D we are supposed to be running.

Without Langford, he'll see his fair share of snaps. Whether that be at 4-3 DT, 3-4 5-technique, or even a 4-3 end for situational pass rushing.

I definitely think so. Dude showed a ton of talent in a backup capacity last year and earned a starting job as a rookie before getting hurt.

hope he can stay healthy -- he is very strong- fast for a guy that is that big.
Odrick -Starks - Soliai - Tony - Wake - Dansby - Burnett - Misi is a strong 4-3 / 3-4 Front 7.
will need some Depth at olb - Like the idea of gary Guyton - Exp in the 4-3 /3-4 and the AFC ---
maybe even Bart scott once he is cut mid summer -- then there is also the draft -- the later rounds -

He had his chance to break out last year - no defensive lineman played more passing downs

2011 Snap Counts from PFF with pass rush attempts in brackets

Starks 677 (376)
Odrick 596 (392)
Langford 553 (277)
Solai 450 (188)
McDaniel 336 (200)
Merling 208 (138)

So he's not going to play that much more this season. He'll play more on running downs (replacing Langford) so in fact his pass rushing opportunities will probably decrease. If he breaks out this season it will be because he plays better not because he plays more

Moving out of the 12 spot to pick Odrick and Misi up was questionable at the time and looks even more questionable now, both selected ahead of projections and neither has done anything to our FO right. I imagine this team will give him every opportunity to succeed. But heck, if he doesn't, we can just blame Parcells.

He better have a great year....he was already overdrafted.....hard to believe we used a first round pick on our stronger position at the time and the fact we needed and passed on some playmakers....of course, all this happen cause we traded 2 2nd round picks for BM which was a mistake to start with.

Ozzy rules!!

He had his chance to break out last year - no defensive lineman played more passing downs

Starks 677 (376)
Odrick 596 (392)
Langford 553 (277)
Solai 450 (188)
McDaniel 336 (200)
Merling 208 (138)

So he's not going to play that much more this season. He'll play more on running downs (replacing Langford) so in fact his pass rushing opportunities will probably decrease. If he breaks out this season it will be because he plays better not because he plays more

Exactly, I think we know what he is capable of. 6 to 8 sacks.........not necessarily 1st round talent.

Starks 677 (376)
Odrick 596 (392)
Langford 553 (277)
Solai 450 (188)
McDaniel 336 (200)
Merling 208 (138)

yeah I don't see him getting much more than the 400 passing down snaps he had last year.

Odrick is a DT in a 4-3 and a good DE in a 3-4. We need a pass rushing DE in a 4-3 that can also play OLB in a 3-4. We need Sacks.

INGRAM would be ideal but I have a funny feeling that JAX will draft Ingram. Lots of good 4-3 DEs in this draft to choose from.

He better have a great year....he was already overdrafted.....hard to believe we used a first round pick on our stronger position at the time and the fact we needed and passed on some playmakers....of course, all this happen cause we traded 2 2nd round picks for BM which was a mistake to start with.

Ozzy rules!!

I don't know that he was 'overdrafted', there was a rumor that the Jets were DYING to take Odrick at 29 if we passed up on him at 28.

I don't know that he was 'overdrafted', there was a rumor that the Jets were DYING to take Odrick at 29 if we passed up on him at 28.

^^^This. The failure in that draft was that we traded back and picked Odrick AND Misi, and that Misi has thusfar been pedestrian. Unless Misi shows marked improvement we would have been better off NOT trading back, and taking the BPA where we were. Odrick seems to be fair value for a pick at #28.

Last edited by a moderator:
[video=youtube;8Nr9Urd5GMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nr9Urd5GMc&feature=related[/video]

besides the dance, his burst off the line especially for his size can not be ignored

Back
Top Bottom