Will Phins have shot at the top 4 QBs in draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Phins have shot at the top 4 QBs in draft?

VaPhinatic

Active Roster
Reaction score
Will the Dolphins have a shot at one of the top 4 QBs (Luck, Barkley, Jones, or Griffen) in the draft? Here are the bottom feeders and their QB needs. Doesn't look good for Phins.

(These rankings are from PFT)
15. Broncos (No. 17; 5-5): Yes
16. Jets (No. 14; 5-5): No - Sanchez
17. Titans (No. 15; 5-5): No - Locker (1st rounder)
18. Eagles (No. 24; 4-6): No - Vick
19. Seahawks (No. 22; 4-6): Yes
20. Buccaneers (No. 19; 4-6): No - Freeman
21. Bills (No. 18; 5-5): No - but should - resigned Fitzpatrick
22. Chiefs (No. 20; 4-6): Maybe - Cassell?
23. Chargers (No. 21; 4-6): No - Rivers
24. Dolphins (No. 28; 3-7): Yes
25. Browns (No. 31; 4-6): Yes
26. Cardinals (No. 23; 3-7): Yes
27. Jaguars (No. 25; 3-7): Maybe - Gabbert (1st rounder)
28. Vikings (No. 26; 2-8): Maybe - Ponder (1st rounder)
29. Panthers (No. 27; 2-8): No - Newton
30. Redskins (No. 29; 3-7): Yes
31. Rams (No. 30; 2-8): Maybe - Bradford - depends on new coaches
32. Colts (No. 32; 0-10): Maybe - injured Manning. Will they Trade down or draft luck?

Yes (Redskins, Cardinals, Browns, Dolphins, Seahawks, Broncos)
Maybes (Colts - top pick, Rams, Vikings, Jaguars, Chiefs)

Thoughts?

If we keep ripping these wins off, we'd have to consider trading up. I don't think we'll be in a position to get one of them.

Will the Dolphins have a shot at one of the top 4 QBs (Luck, Barkley, Jones, or Griffen) in the draft? Here are the bottom feeders and their QB needs. Doesn't look good for Phins.

(These rankings are from PFT)
15. Broncos (No. 17; 5-5): Yes
16. Jets (No. 14; 5-5): No - Sanchez
17. Titans (No. 15; 5-5): No - Locker (1st rounder)
18. Eagles (No. 24; 4-6): No - Vick
19. Seahawks (No. 22; 4-6): Yes
20. Buccaneers (No. 19; 4-6): No - Freeman
21. Bills (No. 18; 5-5): No - but should - resigned Fitzpatrick
22. Chiefs (No. 20; 4-6): Maybe - Cassell?
23. Chargers (No. 21; 4-6): No - Rivers
24. Dolphins (No. 28; 3-7): Yes
25. Browns (No. 31; 4-6): Yes
26. Cardinals (No. 23; 3-7): Yes
27. Jaguars (No. 25; 3-7): Maybe - Gabbert (1st rounder)
28. Vikings (No. 26; 2-8): Maybe - Ponder (1st rounder)
29. Panthers (No. 27; 2-8): No - Newton
30. Redskins (No. 29; 3-7): Yes
31. Rams (No. 30; 2-8): Maybe - Bradford - depends on new coaches
32. Colts (No. 32; 0-10): Maybe - injured Manning. Will they Trade down or draft luck?

Yes (Redskins, Cardinals, Browns, Dolphins, Seahawks, Broncos)
Maybes (Colts - top pick, Rams, Vikings, Jaguars, Chiefs)

Thoughts?
Teams do not give up so soon on high first round selections (Bradford) nor do they give up on QBs they just traded 2 2nd round draft picks for (cardinals.) I don't agree with your reasoning nor analysis. And please don't go with the team rankings next time. please provide the current draft order.

Colts, Redskins, Browns, Dolphins, Seahawks, and Broncos are the only ones I think will either draft a QB in the first. Of those, we obviously have no chance at luck, but barkley if he comes out might still be obtainable, esp if we trade with carolina... Brandon marshall will be good tradebait to move up.

Although we would have to mortgage the farm to get Luck and maybe Barkley, I don't think that RGIII will be out of reach if we pick around 10-12. Although I am very impressed by our recent play, I don't think that we will end up with more than 6-7 wins which will still put us in that 10-12 range. Ultimately, Griffin backing up Moore next year then emerging as the starter toward the end of the year sounds really good to me. I am far more concerned that Tony wins just enough to keep his job and we keep up the mediocre play for another year or two. We have started very slow every year that he has been our coach but have finished fairly well each year. I just don't think that he knows how to utilize training camp to get the team ready to play and he definitely makes a ton of bad decisions that cost us games early in the season. We should be 6-4 right now and right in the thick of things but some terrible coaching prevented wins against Cleveland, NYG, and Denver. Nonetheless, if we get a new coach and RGIII, I will be thrilled and very hopeful for our team's future.

I think we pretty much blew it with our second win. I'd say it's about 99% that Indy either takes Luck with the first pick or rapes some other teams draft in trade for the first pick, which the other team would use on Luck. If anyone besides St. Louis ends up with the #2 pick, Barkley is off the table. Now that we've acquired a third pointless win, we've put ourselves amongst several other teams with similar records who also need a QB, due to strength of schedule even if we didn't win another game I'd say we've pretty much lost our chance at Jones as a result. In my opinion this has effectively killed off our chances at a top tier QB unless we give up practically our whole draft and half of next year's in trade. Which, while not the worst thing that could happen to us, was a pretty bad move on our part because we certainly have more needs than just QB.

i think the Vikings are optimistic about Ponder although Barkley would probably give them pause for thought. Bradford is having a miserable year as is his team; read an article where he's frustrated and looking for answers himself as this is a totally new sensation for him. If Spags gets heaved, I can see The Rams grabbing Luck, Barkley, or Landry and flipping Bradford for a late 1st on the basis of his rookie season. Don't know if that's feasible financially and cap wise though.

AZ definitely needs a new QB but I haven't a clue whether they can get out of that ridiculous Kolb deal and even if so, how receptive are they to most likely having to bite the bullet in terms of trading him for a lower draft pick than what they paid Philly. While the Bidwells are cheap yet they did overpay for him so who knows. If they replace the HC, I can foresee a top 3QB being bait for a top tier coach, especially when factoring in Larry Fitz and the great location.

I read on Florio's site that the Bills can sidestep a lot of Fitz's contract if they release him by a certain date, so I wouldn't necessarily rule them out of the running either.

All that being said, if our new personnel see someone they like sitting above us, we've got some player and draft chips which can be used to trade up.. so regardless where we end up, all is not lost. Consider the angst involved in the Eli and Rivers maneuvering - and the irony that the 3rd QB picked, Big Ben, from a secondary conference turned out to be the most successful of all 3.

Personally, I wouldn't mind finishing out the season successfully which would likely mean Moore proved himself and go into next season with Moore being backed up by either RG3 or Weeden and Devlin if the big 3 are off the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although we would have to mortgage the farm to get Luck and maybe Barkley, I don't think that RGIII will be out of reach if we pick around 10-12. Although I am very impressed by our recent play, I don't think that we will end up with more than 6-7 wins which will still put us in that 10-12 range. Ultimately, Griffin backing up Moore next year then emerging as the starter toward the end of the year sounds really good to me. I am far more concerned that Tony wins just enough to keep his job and we keep up the mediocre play for another year or two. We have started very slow every year that he has been our coach but have finished fairly well each year. I just don't think that he knows how to utilize training camp to get the team ready to play and he definitely makes a ton of bad decisions that cost us games early in the season. We should be 6-4 right now and right in the thick of things but some terrible coaching prevented wins against Cleveland, NYG, and Denver. Nonetheless, if we get a new coach and RGIII, I will be thrilled and very hopeful for our team's future.

I agree with everything you said.
Robert Griffin III is a star in the making. If you have not watched him play, check out a Baylor game. To me, he plays like Drew Brees. He has incredible pocket awareness and the scrambling ability and speed to be a dangerous weapon. The arm is better than I expected. Deep ball, touch, great location. Legit IMHO.

Forgot about Kolb in AZ. I only remembered the scrubs they have been putting out there recently. Could Rams trade Bradford?

Current draft order (as of Nov 22nd from mynfldraft.com - Draft Order is based on the standings after week 11. "PCT" was used for reverse standings and taken from ESPN.)

1. Colts
2. Panthers
3. Rams
4. Vikings
5. Dolphins
6. Jags
7. Cards
8. Redskins
9. Browns
10. Chiefs
11. Bucs
12. Chargers
13. Eagles
14. Seahawks
15. Bills
16. Jets
17. Broncos
18. Titans

I think a trade down to get Barkley would be possible. Rams or Panthers maybe???

But if he's undecided to stay or not, I would think he would appreciate going #2 overall. But maybe he really wants to be #1... Or was that even his reasoning at all?

Forgot about Kolb in AZ. I only remembered the scrubs they have been putting out there recently. Could Rams trade Bradford?

Current draft order (as of Nov 22nd from mynfldraft.com - Draft Order is based on the standings after week 11. "PCT" was used for reverse standings and taken from ESPN.)

1. Colts
2. Panthers
3. Rams
4. Vikings
5. Dolphins
6. Jags
7. Cards
8. Redskins
9. Browns
10. Chiefs
11. Bucs
12. Chargers
13. Eagles
14. Seahawks
15. Bills
16. Jets
17. Broncos
18. Titans

If the season ended today and this was the draft order we'd be in great shape. Assumin gthere's no trades by a team to jump in front of us we'd be sitting in great position to take the 2nd best QB in the draft. Carolina def will not take a QB, The rams won't give up on Bradford this quickly especially after having a good season last year, and there's no way the Vikings give up on Ponder after using the 12th overall pick on him last year. Teams just Do Not take a QB in the first round 2 years in a row, I can't remember an instance where they've done it 2 out of 3 or 4 years even. The teams after the Jags on this list are all ones to worry about though. The cards could decide to give Kolb one more year after what they gave up to get him and how much they're paying him, the Browns might also go with Mccoy one more season if their top QB isn't still on the board when they pick but the Skins will def be taking a QB, and the Chiefs probably would too but Cassel did have a good season last year so they could pass too if the right QB isn't there for them.

1. Colts
2. Panthers
3. Rams
4. Vikings
5. Dolphins
6. Jags
7. Cards
8. Redskins
9. Browns
10. Chiefs
11. Bucs
12. Chargers
13. Eagles
14. Seahawks
15. Bills
16. Jets
17. Broncos
18. Titans
They can't trade Bradford because no one will want to get his 80 million dollar contract to an unproven QB.

1. Colts
2. Panthers
3. Rams
4. Vikings
5. Dolphins
6. Jags
7. Cards
8. Redskins
9. Browns
10. Chiefs
11. Bucs
12. Chargers
13. Eagles
14. Seahawks
15. Bills
16. Jets
17. Broncos
18. Titans

I think everyone is over-valuing these college QB's. Is this a good class? Yes. Is this a class where the Rams, Cardinals, Vikings, and potenially Jags would admit they made a mistake in their 1st round QB? No.

My guess is we drop behind all of the teams listed in the top 9 (except the Redskins) with only potentially Luck and one of Barkley or Jones going to the Colts and Browns. The Browns took a shot on McCoy in the 3rd. That's not admitting failure if the use their 1st this year on a QB.

Did a SFL'er just refer to a #1 overall QB that is in his 2nd year in the league as "unproven"? :oops:
Use your brain when replying to me and don't even compare Bradford to Luck as far as prospects go. Bradford was a good QB in college, not great. He has shown he is injury prone, and missed a ton of games his last season and still the Rams were dumb enough to draft him with the first pick overall. Also I'm pretty sure the new rookie wage scale on a 5 year contract won't let Luck touch the amount of money Bradford gets in a single season with the Rams. Bradford hasn't shown he's a franchise QB while Luck is a prospect in the same breath as Manning and Elway is.

Back
Top Bottom