Will Raiders/Bucs feud push Quinn to #6? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Raiders/Bucs feud push Quinn to #6?

Fingers

Scout Team
Reaction score
I ran across this article suggesting that there exists an ongoing feud between the Bucs and Raiders and how same may affect the draft. If the Lions select Adams over Quinn and Peterson goes to the Browns at #3 as suggested, it could allow Quinn to drop to #6. Would Miami trade up with the Skins to nab Quinn? My guess is yes. The following is an excerpt:

According to one top-ranking team official, the Raiders have been pursuing two athletic quarterbacks who began their careers in Arizona  Jake Plummer and Josh McCown. Plummer is more highly sought, but he recently retired after being traded to the Bucs from Denver. McCown remains a backup in Detroit, which holds the second pick and is in the market for a franchise quarterback, as well.
There is the perception in league circles that Allen quickly moved to acquire Plummer for several reasons. First and foremost, the Bucs needed help at quarterback, but having just signed Jeff Garcia and with Chris Simms and Bruce Gradkowski already on the roster, the Buccaneers, some teams strongly believe, were simply acting to corner the market on available quarterbacks and then use their stockpile as leverage with QB-needy teams that precede them in the draft order, while also giving them added ammunition to strike a deal.
By taking Plummer off the market, Tampa Bay could potentially force the Raiders to address their need at quarterback via the draft, essentially pushing Johnson down a slot. Detroit GM Matt Millen, a former Raider himself who is uniquely slotted between the two adversaries, might turn out to be the biggest winner of the high-stakes game of poker being played. Millen, who continues to have ongoing dialogue with Allen, could gain more leverage if Johnson is available at No. 2 and could choose not to deal McCown until after the Raiders make their first selection in order to force the Raiders' hand. He may even have received that free advice, courtesy of Allen.
The Bucs are hoping they do not have to move up and can still land Johnson at No. 4. It remains a possibility. If JaMarcus Russell is selected first overall, team sources in Cleveland say Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson would likely land at No. 3. The question for Tampa Bay then becomes: Does it have to worry about Atlanta, which recently acquired two second-round picks in the Matt Schaub trade and needs receivers, moving up in the draft. Millen is concerned about the degree of scrutiny he would receive if he drafted a receiver in the top 10 for the fourth time in the last five years, and the team currently has too much money invested in the position to select another one so early. In the event a trade is not brokered, that could mean the Lions are left to choose between Clemson DE Gaines Adams, a Rod Marinelli favorite, and Brady Quinn, whom many suspect Millen personally covets. If either scenario takes hold, it would push Johnson to the Bucs, without them having to give up anything.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/wwhi040507+.htm

wash. GM said they want a 3rd rounder from a top 10 team if they want to swap places but teams out of the top 10 will have to give more. but i think a 3rd rounder for quinn will pay off..

wash. GM said they want a 3rd rounder from a top 10 team if they want to swap places but teams out of the top 10 will have to give more. but i think a 3rd rounder for quinn will pay off..

I think Mueller makes that trade in a heartbeat.

Well, even Spielman got one right when we gave up our 4th round pick to move up 1 spot and select Vernon Carey. Move up 3 spots and give up a 3rd to get a potential franchise Quarterback. I wouldn't do it because I think Quinn is a "system" quarterback and is overrated but if you compare his stats to everyone other than Russell it's not close. I guess we'd do it anyway because we're really desperate.

Plain and simple

I think Minny takes Quinn if he is there . . . despite having Jackson.

So if Washington says . . . give me your third and the 9 pick for our 6 pick . . . Miami does that trade w/ no hesitation.

I still don't think Quinn drops past Cleveland, but that is me.

Plain and simple

I think Minny takes Quinn if he is there . . . despite having Jackson.

So if Washington says . . . give me your third and the 9 pick for our 6 pick . . . Miami does that trade w/ no hesitation.

I still don't think Quinn drops past Cleveland, but that is me.

You may well be right. However, if they trade for Green, I see them picking Peterson at #3 and a QB in round 2/3. Peterson appears to be a special back who could affect both sides of the ball.

Well, even Spielman got one right when we gave up our 4th round pick to move up 1 spot and select Vernon Carey. Move up 3 spots and give up a 3rd to get a potential franchise Quarterback. I wouldn't do it because I think Quinn is a "system" quarterback and is overrated but if you compare his stats to everyone other than Russell it's not close. I guess we'd do it anyway because we're really desperate.

Dude since you know soooo much about QB talent, who should we pick up as our QB? I know you are still hurting that we didnt pick up your boy CARR, but shessh. You and Fishypete are two of the most negative posters I have ever seen.:rolleyes2 :shakeno:

You may well be right. However, if they trade for Green, I see them picking Peterson at #3 and a QB in round 2/3. Peterson appears to be a special back who could affect both sides of the ball.

lol I actually think if they get Green, that is a sign they will select Brady Quinn/Jamarcus Russell . . . and be done w/ the Charlie Frye/Anderson experiment. I just think that Weiss/Crennel connection is a tight one . . . and Weiss has been blowing up Romeo about drafting Brady Quinn. They would bring in Trent Green as a mentor and starter for next year . . . and let Brady watch under him.

I think they like AP also, but they probably feel that Frye and Anderson . . .neither are franchise QB's and Quinn is . . . RB can be had later in the draft or even next year . . . especially w/ the Jamal Lewis signing.

lol I actually think if they get Green, that is a sign they will select Brady Quinn/Jamarcus Russell . . . and be done w/ the Charlie Frye/Anderson experiment. I just think that Weiss/Crennel connection is a tight one . . . and Weiss has been blowing up Romeo about drafting Brady Quinn. They would bring in Trent Green as a mentor and starter for next year . . . and let Brady watch under him.

I think they like AP also, but they probably feel that Frye and Anderson . . .neither are franchise QB's and Quinn is . . . RB can be had later in the draft or even next year . . . especially w/ the Jamal Lewis signing.

The other thing to factor is Crennel's situation. He may not be around to see Quinn's development if the Browns don't win more games next year. That's why I believe it will be Peterson, particularly if they acquire Green.

No, Spielman got schooled that day.

I agree with Kdawg, I think the odds increase of Clev taking Quinn if they get Green. I don't think they get Green to try and develop Frye, as he'll want out if they get someone else. I think they want Green to win right now and develop their QB draftee (who they plan on getting Quinn). They are trying to do the same thing we want to do; draft Quinn, get Green and let him start and develop Quinn. Hopefully Green sticks to his guns and refuses to negotiate a new contract with Clev. If the Green thing falls apart, I think the odds go up that Clev will not go after Quinn IMO.

No, Spielman got schooled that day.

Hey, at least Carey panned out. There are far better draft day blunders to hammer Spielman/Wannestedt over. Eddie Moore, Lamar Gordon, A.J. Feeley, et al.

Back
Top Bottom