Will The Dolphins Recommit To The Ground Game? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will The Dolphins Recommit To The Ground Game?

Every team would love to run the ball. The question is, can we do it? When you start running the ball and continue to to get no yards which puts you on 3rd and long you can see why sometimes is hard to keep on trying, specially when you're behind in the score. There has to be a balance and game situations often dictates what you can do. I love having a FB now but the line needs to do it's job and unless the defense is worry about your passing game you're gonna get the box stacked all day long.

Agree, but as some have pointed out, Miami would come out, run well in 1Q, get away from it and never go back. That is NOT a commitment.

Almost all of the top half of the league in scoring were also in the top half of the league in run play percentage. 13 out of 16 teams.

The exceptions? KC, Pittsburgh and Indy.

Establishing a run game is an essential part of any offense. Unless you have Andy Reid, Andrew Luck, or one of the most remarkable passing games in the league.

Almost all of the top half of the league in scoring were also in the top half of the league in run play percentage. 13 out of 16 teams.

The exceptions? KC, Pittsburgh and Indy.

Establishing a run game is an essential part of any offense. Unless you have Andy Reid, Andrew Luck, or one of the most remarkable passing games in the league.

Absolutely correct, about the necessity, and value of a run game.

For years, I have heard so many ppl touting the greatness of Luck, and I just don't see it.

He's above average, but nothing earth shaking. None of his teams have ever been a seious threat to win a SB.

If you are comparing him to the woeful Dolphin situation, I can see the envy, but I don't consider him elite. Borderline, sometimes, but that's about it.

Oh I know.......things have been so messed up for so long. Hoping we can turn it around.

That's one of those non-talent variables that make/break a HC/team. Having an effective run game and leaving it before the end of 1H is inexcusable. Leaves the D on the field longer and gives the opponent's D a break. And by the time the HC gets back to the run when the team HAS to run . . . it's too late. That's my annoyance with 'recommit.' It's not only how much a team runs, but when and how well

Personally, I hate running based offenses, they are slow, boring and cant put up points fast enough against elite teams. We need a gun slinger. Forget this commit to the running game nonsense, it only works if you have the leagues best defense to accompany it.

3 yards and a cloud of dust is so dave wannstedt ago. this is a passing league now and if you can't do it, you can't win.

3 yards and a cloud of dust is so dave wannstedt ago. this is a passing league now and if you can't do it, you can't win.

I don't think anyone is arguing for a 60's Packers run game and I doubt you are arguing for run and shoot. There is room for debate in the middle ground, but teams need to be able to run.

You need to do both effectively to be a "good" team, in most cases.

Check out the run/pass ratio of playoff teams for the past few years.

Sure, there are some outliers, like KC last season, but for the most part, the best teams, year in and year out, are "balanced". There is really no arguing that fact.

Best to be able to do both, as the situation, or opponent dictates, IMHO.

I think they will a lot moreso than Gase ever did. It was so frustrating to watch when we had something going and decided to get away from the run.

That's the one thing I don't want to see with this offense.
Infuriating. Right in front of Gases face. Watching Ajayi and Drake gobble up yards and touchdowns. Offense was absolutely humming. Tannehill looked good. Just to watch Gase drop the running game and try to make Tannehill be Peyton.

You need to do both effectively to be a "good" team, in most cases.

Check out the run/pass ratio of playoff teams for the past few years.

Sure, there are some outliers, like KC last season, but for the most part, the best teams, year in and year out, are "balanced". There is really no arguing that fact.

Best to be able to do both, as the situation, or opponent dictates, IMHO.

It is easy to argue against what you said because it is NOT a fact when it comes to teams in Super Bowls.

Last edited:
We can only hope. I was high on Drake having a breakout year, and seen his touches slashed in favor of a reliable 4yrds. Negating any chance of those game breaker type plays.

Just get me some big uglies upfront who can play 16 games of fundamental football in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom