Will The Dolphins Recommit To The Ground Game? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will The Dolphins Recommit To The Ground Game?

It is easy to argue against what you said because it is NOT a fact when it comes to teams in Super Bowls.
In the past 5 seasons, the only SB participant that passed more than 55%, during the regular season were the Broncos 59% pass. The falcons were exactly 55% pass. The others were all under that, and Carolina actually ran more than they passed by a small margin.

Where are you seeing all these pass happy SB teams?

We can only hope. I was high on Drake having a breakout year, and seen his touches slashed in favor of a reliable 4yrds. Negating any chance of those game breaker type plays.

Just get me some big uglies upfront who can play 16 games of fundamental football in 2019.

This is my favorite post you have ever made. :)

Agree, but as some have pointed out, Miami would come out, run well in 1Q, get away from it and never go back. That is NOT a commitment.
Over the years I wondered to myself why the hell they would do that. It was all too often they'd come out running and with fairly good results only to give up on it and ultimately lose the game. Seems they were always quick to abandon it no matter the effectiveness of it. Very frustrating.

Eight of the top ten teams in run play percentage made the playoffs last year, including both Super Bowl teams.
It's amazing how many ppl are either oblivious to, or just flat out ignore this fact.

The reality is, many of the pass attempts in todays game (WR screens, swing passes, etc) are really just extensions of a running game, so that skews the percentages slightly, as well.

Personally, I hate running based offenses, they are slow, boring and cant put up points fast enough against elite teams. We need a gun slinger. Forget this commit to the running game nonsense, it only works if you have the leagues best defense to accompany it.
Like in any other sport, tempo is based on the amount of talent you have on the team. Do other teams have more talent than you? Run the ball a bazillion times to shorten the amount of possessions each team has. Are you loaded on offense? Go super fast paced to give your team more opportunities to score while other teams fall behind.

When you're out-manned, you have a much better chance to win if each team theoretically only had one possession. When you're oozing with playmakers, nobody is going to beat you if each team had 100 possessions. We belong in the former so if Flores is indeed a good coach, you're going to see us really, really, really try to run the ball and do it often. Call it boring if you want, but speeding up the tempo with the least talented team in the NFL is the quickest way to 0-16.

Infuriating. Right in front of Gases face. Watching Ajayi and Drake gobble up yards and touchdowns. Offense was absolutely humming. Tannehill looked good. Just to watch Gase drop the running game and try to make Tannehill be Peyton.

Nail... meet hammer. And it would have worked if they had at least been balanced about it.

Lets run it with a lack of an oline so we can get off the field and let our 25th - 32nd ranked defense handle the heavy lifting. We are gonna have to score some points to be remotely successful because this defense is gonna be a cesspool. I dont care how good the coaching is. The pats defense last year was 21st in total defense. They played well in the playoffs but it wasnt some world beating defense. They just had an offense that averaged 27 points per game to get them through the regular season.

Our offense cant be some ball control conservative offense is what I'm saying. Our defense isnt built for that.

Lets run it with a lack of an oline so we can get off the field and let our 25th - 32nd ranked defense handle the heavy lifting. We are gonna have to score some points to be remotely successful because this defense is gonna be a cesspool. I dont care how good the coaching is. The pats defense last year was 21st in total defense. They played well in the playoffs but it wasnt some world beating defense. They just had an offense that averaged 27 points per game to get them through the regular season.

Our offense cant be some ball control conservative offense is what I'm saying. Our defense isnt built for that.
I don't think many are advocating for "three yds, in a cloud of dust" offense.

Most, including myself, are just saying balance is the best way to go, and looking at history, the lion's share of perennial playoff caliber teams are able to run the ball effectively.

For a guy that came to town with a big reputation as an OC, Gase had little to no feel for his own offense. When we were pushing the other team around and they couldn't stop the run, Gase would take his foot off their throats and starts throwing flanker screens. Off course, Ajayi went postal!! They couldn't stop him in certain games and Gase never fed him the rock. No matter how hot Ajayi was Gase would go away from him and start trying all kinds of cute stuff. It was hard to watch! 3rd and 1 with Frank Gore in the backfield and Gase calls some low percentage back shoulder pass to Gisecki!! It was nuts! From watching Shula to watching Gase is like different sports!

The Patriots also had the best rushing attack in the NFL. I don't know what you're getting at here.

For a guy that came to town with a big reputation as an OC, Gase had little to no feel for his own offense. When we were pushing the other team around and they couldn't stop the run, Gase would take his foot off their throats and starts throwing flanker screens. Off course, Ajayi went postal!! They couldn't stop him in certain games and Gase never fed him the rock. No matter how hot Ajayi was Gase would go away from him and start trying all kinds of cute stuff. It was hard to watch! 3rd and 1 with Frank Gore in the backfield and Gase calls some low percentage back shoulder pass to Gisecki!! It was nuts! From watching Shula to watching Gase is like different sports!
What? You don't like zero yard passes on 3rd and half a yard?

The Patriots also had the best rushing attack in the NFL. I don't know what you're getting at here.

They also have one of the best oline coaches/ best olines in football. Trying to pound the ball with a suspect oline and suspect defense isnt gonna be our meal ticket. Our best unit on the team maybe our wide receivers lets play to that.

They also have one of the best oline coaches/ best olines in football. Trying to pound the ball with a suspect oline and suspect defense isnt gonna be our meal ticket. Our best unit on the team maybe our wide receivers lets play to that.

We have to run the ball more, part of the reason Rosen was so bad last year from what I've read probably had a lot to do with their 32 ranked rushing attack.

Running the ball protects the QB in SOOOO many ways, if they wanna keep Rosen alive to see his 23rd birthday (keep eating that cake Fitz) with our offensive line we better run the damn ball a lot more than Gase wanted to.

Just me 2 cents, if I ever coached football I would tell my team we will run the ball 100% of the time unless the defense has something to say about it :punch

Last edited:
The whole point of running the ball is to protect your defense. If our defense is suspect, then they need all the help they can get and that doesn't include 3 and outs because we decided to throw 2-3 times where we throw the defense right back out on to the field.

You keep talking about how we don't have a good Oline, but I might also remind you that we don't have a good QB either so I don't know why you're for throwing it all over the place. You're placing a lot of blame on the Oline for not being able to run, but it's not just them. The TEs we had couldn't block, we didn't play with a fullback, and our genius playcaller loved to throw on short yardage situations so at least this year we won't have that going against us.

This trend of passing offenses is going to circle around just like most trends in sports. Teams are building their defenses with smaller, faster linebackers and safeties to protect against the pass. Well... what are they going to do against a large, ground and pound offense? Teams literally don't have the personnel to stop it consistently these days which is why I think you'll see fullbacks trickle back into the league once people start realizing what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom