Will We Draft A Runningback? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will We Draft A Runningback?

Not taking a RB this year will put us in the exact same position we entered last year with. This team won't win games without a good running game and I don't have faith in any of the guys we currently have on the roster to get the job done for us. What is Alex Smith going to do to put us in a better position if he's forced to do everything himself? Take the RB while you still have a chance to and then if you find out that A.J. falls flat on his face and we need to address our QBs then make a move to draft Matt Leinart in '06.

4U2NV said:
Not taking a RB this year will put us in the exact same position we entered last year with. This team won't win games without a good running game and I don't have faith in any of the guys we currently have on the roster to get the job done for us. What is Alex Smith going to do to put us in a better position if he's forced to do everything himself? Take the RB while you still have a chance to and then if you find out that A.J. falls flat on his face and we need to address our QBs then make a move to draft Matt Leinart in '06.

not taking a QB this year will put us in the exact same position we`ve been since Marino retired, what is Ronnie Brown going to do to put us in a better position if he`s forced to do everything himself? take the QB while you still have a chance and then if you find out that Gordon, Morris and Minor fall flat on his faces and we need to adress our Rb`s then draft one next year (a RB takes less time to develop)
this team won`t win games without a good passing game and I don`t have faith in Feeley to get the job done for us

Considering the promise that Feeley showed towards the end of the year I'm willing to give him another year to see what he can do. If he can't play at least Gus is familiar with the offence and shouldn't embarass himself out there. You ask what a rookie RB can do to help us, what did Clinton Portis do to help the Broncos? What did Tomlinson do to help the Chargers? What did Julius Jones and Kevin Jones do last year to help their teams? Give Feeley a chance to show if he can play better with an improved o-line and improved running game.

4U2NV said:
Considering the promise that Feeley showed towards the end of the year I'm willing to give him another year to see what he can do. If he can't play at least Gus is familiar with the offence and shouldn't embarass himself out there. You ask what a rookie RB can do to help us, what did Clinton Portis do to help the Broncos? What did Tomlinson do to help the Chargers? What did Julius Jones and Kevin Jones do last year to help their teams? Give Feeley a chance to show if he can play better with an improved o-line and improved running game.

I`m willing to give Gordon, Morris and Minor the same chance to be fair. Morris had 4 yards per carry behind a terrible line. don`t get me wrong, Brown would really help us but we need a QB more and I don`t want immediate impact, I`m thinking long term

Theres no way we go into next year with Gordon, Morris and Minor as all our Rbs. Thats simply the worst Rb lineup in football. We may not draft a Rb with a 1st rounder but we will get a FA (trade) or draft one in the 2nd (if we acquire one) or 3rd round.
We need a Qb and Rb in the draft, those need to be the first 2 picks. If we go into the season with these 3 rbs and Feeley/Ferotte we are guaranteed to have one of the worst offenses in football, thats just a horrible rotation with little to no upside or talent. Id really, REALLY question Saban if he does that.

Draft a qb this year and lose all our games so that we can draft Adrian Peterson RB from Oklahoma next year. He will be great!

I'm going to go out on a limb here (not really) and say we take a RB on the first day of the draft. We may not draft one in the first, but there are too many good RBs in this draft not to take one. Especially when we need one.

4U2NV said:

is that a retorical question? if not they did alot when they established the running game. he did well to convert from collage to NFL and they took the hits well

Valbon8 said:
I really hope the Phins draft a runningback, but the last few days, I have been thinking baout the signing of Travis Minor. Could we 3e using the 3 back set here in Miami just like in Minnesota.

Travis Minor<->Michael Bennett
Sammy Morris<->Moe Willliams
Lamar Gordon<->Ontarrio Smith

All these guys match up perfectly with each other. Now I sort of have a feeling that we are going to draft a receiver (depending on Boston's return), or take a QB. I hope we don't use this style because I want to see Ronnine Brown or Cedric Benson in a Phins uni.
I hope we do...

your comparisons are very very sketchy:

Travis Minor < Michael Bennett
Sammy Morris < Moe Willliams
Lamar Gordon < Ontarrio Smith

BTW, I hope we draft someone like Fason with any second round pick we get for Pat, our even with our third. In Linehan's O there is not a feature back - and whilst i think Ronnie will excel in our single back offense, where he could block and catch out of the backfield. Mike Williams in the first.

If the Dolphins don't draft a RB in the first, it will be a joke and another wasted draft.

Derrick Johnson. Who the hell do you expect to play OLB for you? your SSLB is a 16 year veteran who has been a bum in your system. Tell he how many effective pass-rushing and/or run-stopping LBs are in the league that are this old? There's one, and his name is Junior Seau. He is the Tim Brown of LB.

And on the other side? who is that? Donnie Spragan? Newsflash for ya. Spragan is a backup Linebacker. He's not a starter, nor will he ever be unless an injury forces him into the role. He is a good blitzer for the WSLB position, and he's a good run stopper, but he has played as good as he will ever play. He's a great backup, but a sub-par starter for long-term.

And who have you got behind these two "starters"? nobody. Miami has no depth (i.e. - signed Spragan).

They are drafting Derrick Johnson if they pick at No.2.... likely they will try and trade down, but only to a team willing to cough up an arm and a leg for him (Dallas). At No.3 is CLE who will draft him, so MIA won't be able to trade down and still nab him, and they won't be able to trade down period unless they have some blockbuster deal hand-delivered to their war room on draft day. CLE has Alex Smith, Mike Williams, and Braylon Edwards to barter with, and are more willing to trade down than MIA, all but clipping the Achilles of any possible Dolphin draft-day trades with the No.2 pick.

The reason you keep hearing so much about Ronnie Brown is because of exactly what one of the first replies to this thread stated... he's the top-rated RB in this draft, and Miami doesn't have an established running game.

My take is: Did you ever watch an LSU game last year? Cedric Benson is a much better fit in this offense than Brown ever will be, and Benson has a lot more going for him: Durability.

Brown's only thumbs-up to him is that when he was put into the starting role THREE YEARS AGO, for 6 games he averaged about 120 yards a game. Benson averaged that over his career. And you know what happened to him by Game 11 of that season? He broke down (leg injury)... he missed Game 12 against Alabama entirely, and it took him over a month to recover for the Bowl Game.

You want to throw a guy who calls getting 100 attempts a year a good season behind that offensive line, and make him the workhorse back for this system? You are all nuts if you think that, because this new coaching staff sure doesn't.

As for drafting Alex Smith (Rodgers is going #1, he recently bought a house in the Bay Area), that's not going to happen.

Anyone know why the Dolphins don't have a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year? Of course you do, it's because they traded them to the Eagles and Rams for AJ Feeley and Lamar Gordon, neither of whom has had an adequate chance to show themselves. Gordon was thrown to the wolves after spending about a month in that offense, and expected to be the next Ricky Williams. Feeley was looking over his shoulder for most of the season until they settled on him as the starter (and you wonder why he showed such promise at the end?)

Saban is a defensive-minded coach, and is going to draft the biggest need position on this team, as well as the highest-rated impact starter and most gifted athlete in Derrick Johnson.

You don't hear much about it because they have no reason to hype him up. The No.1 pick is all but solidified, and they have no reason to talk players up other than to trade down. If they do, Cleveland takes him at No.3, and they are not trading up with MIA to get him.

Projected 2005 Defensive Starters:

LDE Vonnie Holliday
UT Tim Bowens
NT Kevin Carter
RDE Jason Taylor
SSLB Junior Seau
MLB Zach Thomas
WSLB Derrick Johnson*
LC Will Poole
SS Tebucky Jones
FS Travares Tillman
RC Sam Madison

looks like a top-tier defense to me, anchored by the next great Derrick at WSLB. Guys like that will cut an offense that struggles early a lot of slack.

p.s. - this is my first post, nice to meet you all :)

Back
Top Bottom