Will we trade a TE this summer? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will we trade a TE this summer?

Gesick is a great-hands, high-point redzone threat but nowhere near the athlete of a Waller-type.
I'm not knocking Waller's athleticism, and I'm not saying Gesicki is as good a TE as he is, but I'm pretty sure Gesicki's athleticism is #1 (or close) among TEs.

Shaheen certainly looks like a guy we traded good value to get. Seems pretty athletic. Hands bad? Not sure if theres something behind the scenes we dont know about that made Flores and co. sour on him.
Where are you getting that they soured on him?

I hope we re-sign Gesicki. Team player all the way. Had Tua’s back with an intensity I appreciated. Besides, if Long can really play, two tight end sets can be absolutely devastating. The optionality and option matchups can be seemingly limitless. That Pats unit with Gronk and Hernandez was one of the toughest schemes I can ever remember to defend. Not saying our guys are at that level but there is a lot you can do with multiple tight ends.

Besides our roster is skewed heavily to rookie contracts. We have the money to sign him. This shouldn’t be an either/or deal. IMO
Now I don't have to post!

I think it's Gesicki and Long getting most of the playing time. Smyth may be the odd man out.

I think they'll roll with 4 TE's and keep Carter listed as a FB. Godsey apparently uses a lot of TE packages. But more to the point, the Long selection to me indicates Miami is planning on letting either Gesicki or Smythe leave. I'd love Gesicki to be signed to an extention. Not expecting it, but am still hopeful.

Ok, for the people asking where I heard this about trying to trade Smythe, I got it from somebody here that I trust with pretty good inside info but unless he wants to reveal himself then I won't be able to say who he is but I'll ask him and see what he says.

But more to the point, the Long selection to me indicates Miami is planning on letting either Gesicki or Smythe leave.
I think they are hoping Gesicki/Long is much greater than Gesicki/Smythe.

That's it.

Ok, for the people asking where I heard this about trying to trade Smythe, I got it from somebody here that I trust with pretty good inside info but unless he wants to reveal himself then I won't be able to say who he is but I'll ask him and see what he says.
Did you ever use the"dog ate my homework" line?........lol

Kidding brother......

I hope we re-sign Gesicki. Team player all the way. Had Tua’s back with an intensity I appreciated. Besides, if Long can really play, two tight end sets can be absolutely devastating. The optionality and option matchups can be seemingly limitless. That Pats unit with Gronk and Hernandez was one of the toughest schemes I can ever remember to defend. Not saying our guys are at that level but there is a lot you can do with multiple tight ends.

Besides our roster is skewed heavily to rookie contracts. We have the money to sign him. This shouldn’t be an either/or deal. IMO
Two TE set sounds good on paper. But in reality, we have Fuller and Parker as split end. Waddle at slot, how do you still line up 2 TE? Empty back field? With minium protection as your base set?

Two TE set sounds good on paper. But in reality, we have Fuller and Parker as split end. Waddle at slot, how do you still line up 2 TE? Empty back field? With minium protection as your base set?
I think 2TE sets on the red zone would be ideal. I can remember lots of succesful plays last year with two TE sets on the redzone. I think thats why they think highly about 2 TEs sets on the red zone.

I think 2TE sets on the red zone would be ideal. I can remember lots of succesful plays last year with two TE sets on the redzone. I think thats why they think highly about 2 TEs sets on the red zone.
Don't get me wrong, i love MG. Wish we can keep him. However, he is due for a big pay day. And if Long shows promise, you want to give big contract to MG so we can use him in red zone situation? That is the decision Flo needs to decide.

Gotcha; Well, if true, the it means Gesickie is a keeper at least for this season. Smythe is the odd man out.

Let’s not forget Cethan Carter. I understand the “he’s an H-back” stance, but whose spot does he take in the RB room, then?

I am of the opinion it's going to come down to either Gesicki or Smythe being moved. And while it's a (very) unpopular opinion, I think it's Gesicki.

The H-Back doesn't take the spot of anyone in the RB room.

Its a combo FB-TE type position. If anything you'd get rid of a TE not a halfback.

The MG fan-love may not translate to the field. If I recall correctly, MG's targets jumped greatly when RF was in the game. TT tends to target the WRs.

If that trend continues this year, I'd say MG will be traded or allowed to hit FA. Implying, he won't be here next year (the Hunter Long pick).

I think there will be different "packages" depending on how/who they want to attack.

There are a lot of options with 12 personell, particulary on early downs. Say what you want about MG, but he's a walking mismatch, if you can manipulate the defense.

12 personnel can also be used effectively with RPO concepts, including TE shifts/motions.

Mike will test the market and I can see us letting him. I think he will get paid elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom