Will we trade a TE this summer? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will we trade a TE this summer?

I think they'll roll with 4 TE's and keep Carter listed as a FB. Godsey apparently uses a lot of TE packages. But more to the point, the Long selection to me indicates Miami is planning on letting either Gesicki or Smythe leave. I'd love Gesicki to be signed to an extention. Not expecting it, but am still hopeful.

I hope they do but i don't see them signing Gesickie longterm. You'd figure that contract is going to somewhere better Ertz 8.5M per and Jonnu Smith 12.5M per. The next two contracts are Kelce at around 14M and Kettle at $15M.

I hope they do but i don't see them signing Gesickie longterm. You'd figure that contract is going to somewhere better Ertz 8.5M per and Jonnu Smith 12.5M per. The next two contracts are Kelce at around 14M and Kettle at $15M.
That shows pretty good context.

I like him. He, like Baker, has improved every year. I can understand why a player in his spot may want to take a shot at FA. If he has another good year, he'll get paid more than I want to give him.

Last edited:
That shows pretty good context.

I like him. He, like Baker, has improved every year. I can understand why a player in his spot may want to take a shot at FA. If he has another gilood year, he'll get paid more than I want to give him.

If the FA period was today i'm pretty sure he's getting at least $10M per. If has another strong season plus? Yeah he's getting $11M+

Miami can't afford that especially if Fuller performs and they want to sign him longterm.

If the FA period was today i'm pretty sure he's getting at least $10M per. If has another strong season plus? Yeah he's getting $11M+

Miami can't afford that especially if Fuller performs and they want to sign him longterm.
I would offer him 10 per 4yr 25 gauranteed to vet it done early.

Other than that, I guess he gets paid elsewhere. My opinion.

I would offer him 10 per 4yr 25 gauranteed to vet it done early.

Other than that, I guess he gets paid elsewhere. My opinion.

If I were he and his agent i would take that deal in a heart beat. There's a very strong possibility with the additional weapons in Fuller and Waddle and assuming guys like Wilson/Parker etc can stay healthy that Gesicikie's stats may decrease. If that happens, it could hurt his negotiating ability.

The H-Back doesn't take the spot of anyone in the RB room.

Its a combo FB-TE type position. If anything you'd get rid of a TE not a halfback.

My point is that it's a roster spot, regardless of what you label him as. One can't just say, "Hey, we'll keep 4 TE and then Cethan Carter, and it's okay, because he's not really a TE!" That spot's coming at the expense of another position.

My point is that it's a roster spot, regardless of what you label him as. One can't just say, "Hey, we'll keep 4 TE and then Cethan Carter, and it's okay, because he's not really a TE!" That spot's coming at the expense of another position.

Every player comes at the expense of another position or player. Thats the nature of there being X number of spots and Y number of players.

My point was just it wouldn't have to be a HB and would more likely, but not necessarily be a TE if he was kept.

Every player comes at the expense of another position or player. Thats the nature of there being X number of spots and Y number of players.

My point was just it wouldn't have to be a HB and would more likely, but not necessarily be a TE if he was kept.

Of course. I've been doing mental gymnastics with this roster (specifically the offense), trying to figure out who's going to be kept at WR/TE/RB. It's gonna be interesting getting down to 53.

Of course. I've been doing mental gymnastics with this roster (specifically the offense), trying to figure out who's going to be kept at WR/TE/RB. It's gonna be interesting getting down to 53.

Definitely.

Plus there are things we sometimes don't consider. Like for instance maybe the last LB (just an example position) on the roster isn't considered better to Flores/Grier than someone who could be picked up midseason and we go lighter there to keep an offensive player.

Its a huge puzzle.

Ill be shocked if Mike G isnt out the door at the trading deadline, or of another team has bad injuries at TE. I really think that, with the talent we have at WR, we're always going to want 3 in the pattern, limiting 2-TE sets. Therefore, one-dimensional TEs (non-blocking) are just slow WRs and we'd rather have a fast WR on the field instead.
You want Gesicki high-pointing a throw in tight coverage, or Waddle getting wide open? There's no YAC with Mike G.
So, it just makes sense, when you have 4 legit stud WRs, you want one TE who can block or get wide open by deception and catch (not drop) easy plays.
I made a thread about Long a few weeks ago, praising our FO for being flexible and open to new info. They're not afraid to admit mistakes or change direction.
Unfortunately, that leaves us in situations to lose talented players that we had previously invested draft capital in (Shaheen). I just dont see where he's not overly redundant and we'll be lucky to get a 5th-rounder for after spending a third-rounder to get him.

Hunter Long better be Really ****ing Good.

Back
Top Bottom