Will we trade a TE this summer? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will we trade a TE this summer?

I like every one of our TEs. None of them suck.
Honestly, Im not sure why we needed to draft one, but we must've felt Hunter Long was a Defense-Smashing weapon that was too good to pass up. But, one scouting report I read said his 'attempts to block were downright embarrassing'. Hopefully, that's either outdated info or flat-out wrong. We watched him at the Sr Bowl practices, right? Id think that we werent just looking at a big slow WR but an actual TE that could help in the run game or slow a blitzer if he wasnt in a pattern.

Re: Smythe: I never saw him drop a ball and if he's the best blocker of the bunch then he creates deception when he does leak out into a pattern.

Shaheen certainly looks like a guy we traded good value to get. Seems pretty athletic. Hands bad? Not sure if theres something behind the scenes we dont know about that made Flores and co. sour on him.
Gesick is a great-hands, high-point redzone threat but nowhere near the athlete of a Waller-type. If he cant block then his days probably are numbered. However, it seemed stupid to make a move to push him out when we really could've used the Hunter Long pick on a Center.

With the glut of quality WRs, something's gotta give at cut-down time. I hope the rest of the league isnt circling us like sharks in a feeding frenzy, waiting for us to cut quality players or get trades with terrible value for us.
Just seems stupid for us to be in a bind this way when we had holes in our roster. IMO, we're still pretty weak at DE re: pass rush. Our center position could be a disaster. Could be good...but it’s 50/50 at best.
Whatta ya think?
I gotta say though that I think you are understimating Gesicki's speed. He is a long strider and that creates an illusion of average speed .... but the guy glides past almost every LB and many S's tasked with covering him. He's a true mismatch dominating TE.

The biggest question is if we are going to pay Gesicki. I don't see us paying him with such a crowded group but he is the alpha.
This is the very best year in our lifetime to sign a FA. The salary cap actually is at an all time low relatively, and is set to explode upwards in the upcoming years. Almost any contract made today will be a bargain in 3 years. Everybody moaned about signing Xavien Howard to such a high contract ... but fast forward a short amount of time and he's the one who is demanding re-negotiating that contract! Think ahead people ... we have a super-talented TE with a sky-high ceiling who is coming into his own, and we can re-sign him for what in the long term will be peanuts. We'd be absolutely stupid not to re-sign Mike Gesicki.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would hesitate to pull the trigger on extending a young, productive, athletic, ascending, team-player guy like Mike Gesicki. When building a team, we really need to recognize that we're building it for more than 1 year ahead ... and any contract today is going to be great team value in two or three years time. Just friggin' get it done before the season starts already Grier! Stop sitting on your damn hands!

I'm not knocking Waller's athleticism, and I'm not saying Gesicki is as good a TE as he is, but I'm pretty sure Gesicki's athleticism is #1 (or close) among TEs.
Finally, someone who isn't lulled into missing out on the fact that Gesicki pulls away from those small, speedy LB's and dominates size-wise against everyone.

The MG fan-love may not translate to the field. If I recall correctly, MG's targets jumped greatly when RF was in the game. TT tends to target the WRs.

If that trend continues this year, I'd say MG will be traded or allowed to hit FA. Implying, he won't be here next year (the Hunter Long pick).
Sadly, last year all Tua really targeted was check-downs, much like Alex Smith. Tua's hip and sub-par arm strength had him scared to death to push the ball downfield, which is why our offense was so anemic with him last year. Defenses knew it too. Mike Gesicki specializes in deep seam routes over the middle, which require timing and accuracy ... as well as adequate arm strength. Tua didn't target him because Tua was afraid to throw those intermediate throws over the middle last year ... and with good reason, he couldn't do it.

This year he's fully healthy and if today's camp is any indication, the coaching staff is stressing that he NEEDS to be able to make those throws, and so he's being asked to push the ball down the field and challenge the middle. Hopefully Tua learns and adapts to become adequate at it. That's not a Gesicki problem though ... it was a rookie Tua problem exacerbated by his hip rehab.

I like Gesicki a lot but when we've got 3 dangerousAF WRs, we need a dual-purpose TE who can stay in and block, or really Surprise the defense if he does get into a pattern.
When MG is on the field, the opposing D is thinking either 'PassPlay' or 'Smash into the backfield through MG cuz he cant block'.

I think Smythe to Detroit for a 4th rounder. I like him, but we have a glutton at the position.

I'm concerned that Gesicki's shoulder is still injured from last season. Even if they are being cautious, it wouldn't take much and he will have a hard time blocking and catching

Either Shaheen or Smythe will be put up for trade during training camp. If we can't find a trade partner, the cap implications of a release mean that Smythe is out.

Back
Top Bottom