Williams' return to Dolphins hits a snag | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Williams' return to Dolphins hits a snag

PHINPHOURLIFE

SUPERSTAR
Reaction score
Ricky Williams' return to the Miami Dolphins has been put on hold until agent Leigh Steinberg can hammer out monetary terms with the team, according to The Miami Herald.

The Herald reports that Williams, who abruptly retired before last season, does not want to play for the league minimum of $540,000 and is asking for $3.7 million in base salary. And that difference could have a big impact on whether Williams is with the team by late July when the Dolphins begin training camp.

But the $3.7 million figure is well beyond what the Dolphins can support with the salary cap, and Williams will not return until a fair compromise is worked out.

"I don't see Ricky playing for that ($540,000) figure," Steinberg said.

The Herald spoke with several attorneys about the language in Williams' contract, which was renegotiated in 2002, and their opinions were mixed. Two attorneys said the Dolphins owe Williams $3.7 million. Two feel the team could pay him the $540,000, and one suggested that arbitration might be the best solution simply because there is room for debate on both sides.

The NFL players association, meanwhile, said the union would defend Williams' contract if the case goes to arbitration. But Dolphins' vice president Bryan Wiedmeier, who oversees player contract negotiations, refused to discuss the situation.

Training camp is tentatively set to begin July 24. But Williams faces a one-year suspension if he returns prior to the 27th. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello reiterated the one-year suspension rule, but sources told The Herald the league is expected to forgive Williams a few days if he is cooperative

oh boy here we go again

It is the song that never ends it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.......................

Well if he plays out his contract at the veteran minimum it's not a 1 million dollar deal...it's actually a 10 million dollar deal as he gets to keep his previous bonuses.

PHINPHOURLIFE said:
Ricky Williams' return to the Miami Dolphins has been put on hold until agent Leigh Steinberg can hammer out monetary terms with the team, according to The Miami Herald.

The Herald reports that Williams, who abruptly retired before last season, does not want to play for the league minimum of $540,000 and is asking for $3.7 million in base salary. And that difference could have a big impact on whether Williams is with the team by late July when the Dolphins begin training camp.

But the $3.7 million figure is well beyond what the Dolphins can support with the salary cap, and Williams will not return until a fair compromise is worked out.

"I don't see Ricky playing for that ($540,000) figure," Steinberg said.

The Herald spoke with several attorneys about the language in Williams' contract, which was renegotiated in 2002, and their opinions were mixed. Two attorneys said the Dolphins owe Williams $3.7 million. Two feel the team could pay him the $540,000, and one suggested that arbitration might be the best solution simply because there is room for debate on both sides.

The NFL players association, meanwhile, said the union would defend Williams' contract if the case goes to arbitration. But Dolphins' vice president Bryan Wiedmeier, who oversees player contract negotiations, refused to discuss the situation.

Training camp is tentatively set to begin July 24. But Williams faces a one-year suspension if he returns prior to the 27th. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello reiterated the one-year suspension rule, but sources told The Herald the league is expected to forgive Williams a few days if he is cooperative

oh boy here we go again

The story has been posted and is still on the front page. I think that DrAstroZoom hit the nail on the head when he pointed out that Cole may be writing about a problem that doesn't exist.

FinzManiac said:
Well if he plays out his contract at the veteran minimum it's not a 1 million dollar deal...it's actually a 10 million dollar deal as he gets to keep his previous bonuses.

Doe's he? I think even if he does comeback, he'll still have to pay a portion of the $8mil. As far as him wanting his regular salary, he might as well go back to India. IMO he should have no leverage in contract talks. We don't need him like we did last year and because of him, we had to use the #2 overall pick on a rb. He's cost the Dolphins enough already.

Honestly guys, I don't think its Ricky. Its Steinberg. He has already been paid on Ricky's signing bonus. He is trying to get paid again; he doesn't make much on a $540 salary.

I'm sure Ricky realizes his leverage when it comes to negotiations.

clear.gif
clear.gif

Megatron said:
It is the song that never ends it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.......................

Isn't it amazing? I was watching Real Sports on HBO the other day and they did a follow-up piece on Kermit Washington - you know the guy who destroyed Rudy Tomjonovich with a punch that caused injuries found in some 50 mph car accidents. And in this piece, they showed a man who was willing to do what it took to get back into the NBA in some capacity, no matter how small or obscure. He finally got his chance working as an assistant coach in the NBADL, getting paid only $9,000 for something like 5 months of work. He said the money would never be an issue. This was his chance to get back to working in the NBA and he would've done it for free if he had to.

Kermit Washington will almost always be known for knocking out Rudy T. as Ricky will always be known for walking out on the Dolphins. If he was truly empassioned to right the debacle last year and show everyone his heart is still in it, he'd play for that miminum and let actions speak for themselves.

JB-Dolfan-VA said:
Honestly guys, I don't think its Ricky. Its Steinberg. He has already been paid on Ricky's signing bonus. He is trying to get paid again; he doesn't make much on a $540 salary.

I'm sure Ricky realizes his leverage when it comes to negotiations.

Steinberg was hired to not only arrange contracts, but to also speak on Ricky's behalf. That's what an agent does.

Ricky is screwing you guys around again, why would you want that POS back in your locker room to let you down and ruin your season twice. He will takes snaps away from your big bad rookie, he will make you a laughing stock again. And most of you are like "hell yeah bring Ricky back" That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

flsukz said:
Ricky is screwing you guys around again, why would you want that POS back in your locker room to let you down and ruin your season twice. He will takes snaps away from your big bad rookie, he will make you a laughing stock again. And most of you are like "hell yeah bring Ricky back" That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

flsukz what the hell kind of a name is that? :confused: your not to bright are you? :shakeno:
come to a florida team website and diss us! your so cool can i have your autograph? :tsk:

flsukz said:

Definately is.

This isn't a snag, this is something they knew they were going to have to deal with. It is not a snag until July when he can actually come back. Everyone and their mom knows that they were going to have to worry about the money

in the 4 years weve had ricky in the organization, i believe 3 of our first round pics have all went to him now basically, 2 to get him, 1 to replace him. absolutly insane. we are lucky we have enough talent still cuz most teams that would cripple.

Its too much to expect that Ricky would play for the minimum .Its my guess that the Dolphins will sweeten the deal somehow maybe with a salary in the one million range plus some incentives.Legally the Dolphins have all the cards but the deal has to be reasonable for both sides.

Back
Top Bottom