With Antuan Edwards...Will we still draft a Safety? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With Antuan Edwards...Will we still draft a Safety?

ChambersNBoston

Dan Marino is a God
Reaction score
Looks like our depth at both safety spots are pretty much full with Freeman and Edwards at Free safty and Sammy, Akins, Wooden at the Strong safety position...Do you think we'll pick a safety in the draft?

only if its exceptional value and rick likes the guy for our defense. imo

I think we might but not on day one, just my opinion.And knowing this board we'll have a few more..lol

Ozzy rules!!

I think not. JMO Not that we cant use more help there, but I feel the FO will look elsewhere

I think we would only take a guy in the late rounds who could compete and maybe contribute on special teams. But dodge is right; you can't ignore great value. If someone like Stu Schweigert fell to the 4th round, I can't imagine we'd pass on him. I don't think that will happen, mind you, but on draft day, some guys always fall farther than they should.

They have expressed more than usual interest in Stu Schwiegert, possibly in the 3rd round. At least he was one guy they spent more time with than others...but that was before Edwards signing...I would guess, with Edwards, they will have to evaluate who else is available before going after Stu...??

I think so. LB and DT are almost certainly bigger needs on defense right now, so they'd have to look at those before picking a safety, even if Schweigert was on the board in round 3 (which would be very good value). And that's assuming they go OL in round 1.

phunwin..agreed...my point was that they were looking at Schwiegert but that was before Edwards signing...I think they want a DT to groom to replace Big Larry in 2005, but also to be in the rotation this year to extend Timbo and Big Larry's effectiveness late in the game. I think the jury is still out for E. Moore and they will look to June 1 for backup vet help at LB. If Moore comes along, he could back up either OLB position. But is not really suited for the middle...that could be a day 2 draftee as well.

Originally posted by everardteach
Yeah I would agree
1. OL
2. DT
3. LB
4. WR
5. S

The Dolphin Digest is still sort of fresh in my mind. :rolleyes:

They listed the order in the middle of March as....

1. OL
2. WR
3. S (Prior to the latest signing)
4. LB
5. DE

They said with all the veteran depth at the DT position it shouldn't be a priority on draft day.

Back
Top Bottom