With The Dust Settling On The Draft, Here Are Some Thoughts, Questions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With The Dust Settling On The Draft, Here Are Some Thoughts, Questions

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Not giving a draft grade, but I think Miami ends up with three starters counting Josh Rosen. Here are some quick thoughts.

2018 Quarterback Class and the AFC East
It's interesting that Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Sam Darnold now reside in the AFC East. More interesting will be how these players develop. Coming out, I liked Rosen over Darnold. I thought Darnold was more dynamic, but also turned the ball over a lot. I didn't see Allen live. Rosen was the most accurate. After one year, Darnold is in the lead including putting together a nice stretch run where he had six touchdowns and just one interception in his final four games. Adam Gase could help him take his game to the next level. You could see Allen's athletic ability, but unless his accuracy improves pretty dramatically I think he will be a mid-tier guy at best. Rosen obviously struggled in Arizona with very little talent around him. Can he make a significant jump in year two?

The DT's
Williams, Oliver and Wilkins went to the Jets, Buffalo and Miami respectively. That says as much about the talent at defensive tackle in this draft as it does about the best way to attack Tom Brady. All these players have a chance to be elite.

Who Are the Starting DE's for Miami?
Have to admit my biggest disappointment in this draft was not capitalizing enough on the defensive line talent. I understand changing course when Josh Rosen was available and I think that was a good move. Joe Jackson in the 5th round might have helped. As it is, who are the starters at defensive end? Tank Carradine, who I liked in college, and Charles Harris are currently the leading candidates. Wilkins might play some DE as well. Any free agents the team can target who can help in 2019?

Lots of Draft Capital for 2020
I love that the Dolphins have stockpiled picks for 2020. As it stands, the team has two picks in the 2nd and fourth rounds, with the possibility of two in round three --- depending on compensatory picks. Miami has the ammo to trade up for players, or could "play it forward" moving down here and there to get more picks for 2021.

Yea they seemed to value that Van Noy role much more than your typical 4-3 DE, which is why they chose Van Ginkle.

Have to remember they lost a 2nd and a 4th in the 2019 draft, so those were two players that could of filled valuable roles with top 115 picks.

Luckily if we hit on Rosen we can eat very well in the 2020 draft and that draft will be loaded all over.

Yea they seemed to value that Van Noy role much more than your typical 4-3 DE, which is why they chose Van Ginkle.

Maybe it will work. But I'm not forgetting that Van Noy was an extremely special player as a junior at BYU. He made so many fantastic instinctive plays of all variety in the bowl game I kept watching again and again. I thought he would be first half of the first round once he came out a year later.

Then he had a strangely quiet senior year and fell to second round, which was not as bad as falling to Detroit. I'm convinced Detroit needs an outdoor stadium with a grass field. I realize this is an aside but the Lions seemed like a normal team when I was a kid. Once they moved inside they've always felt like a joke, where careers go to die. I would absolutely say that is the last team I would want to be drafted by.

No surprise Van Noy did nothing in Detroit, just like Eric Ebron. Two AFC teams were sharp enough to take advantage of talented players at value rate.

Our version of Van Noy is a 5th round guy who always looked like a 5th round guy, or thereabouts. I'll root but I'm not excited.

Maybe it will work. But I'm not forgetting that Van Noy was an extremely special player as a junior at BYU. He made so many fantastic instinctive plays of all variety in the bowl game I kept watching again and again. I thought he would be first half of the first round once he came out a year later.

Then he had a strangely quiet senior year and fell to second round, which was not as bad as falling to Detroit. I'm convinced Detroit needs an outdoor stadium with a grass field. I realize this is an aside but the Lions seemed like a normal team when I was a kid. Once they moved inside they've always felt like a joke, where careers go to die. I would absolutely say that is the last team I would want to be drafted by.

No surprise Van Noy did nothing in Detroit, just like Eric Ebron. Two AFC teams were sharp enough to take advantage of talented players at value rate.

Our version of Van Noy is a 5th round guy who always looked like a 5th round guy, or thereabouts. I'll root but I'm not excited.

I remember Van Noy's bowl game as well, he had an absolutely absurd game.

I'm not expecting much from Van Ginkel at all, he was a 5th rounder for a reason but analytics says his 2017 was elite. So I'm willing to give the kid a chance.

Having grown up in MI, I can assure you, the Lions have been an irrelevant joke since the merger.

Well when we are in a 3 man front I imagine the DEs will be Taylor and Wilkins. In a 4 man front, Harris, Wilkins, Taylor, and depending on the distance of it being pass or run, Godcheaux or Carrdine.
I agree. I realize Miami couldn't fill all of their needs in one draft, but have to be excited if Rosen proves to be the answer.

In the meantime, I expect problems getting pressure on quarterbacks.

Not giving a draft grade, but I think Miami ends up with three starters counting Josh Rosen. Here are some quick thoughts.

2018 Quarterback Class and the AFC East
It's interesting that Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Sam Darnold now reside in the AFC East. More interesting will be how these players develop. Coming out, I liked Rosen over Darnold. I thought Darnold was more dynamic, but also turned the ball over a lot. I didn't see Allen live. Rosen was the most accurate. After one year, Darnold is in the lead including putting together a nice stretch run where he had six touchdowns and just one interception in his final four games. Adam Gase could help him take his game to the next level. You could see Allen's athletic ability, but unless his accuracy improves pretty dramatically I think he will be a mid-tier guy at best. Rosen obviously struggled in Arizona with very little talent around him. Can he make a significant jump in year two?

The DT's
Williams, Oliver and Wilkins went to the Jets, Buffalo and Miami respectively. That says as much about the talent at defensive tackle in this draft as it does about the best way to attack Tom Brady. All these players have a chance to be elite.

Who Are the Starting DE's for Miami?
Have to admit my biggest disappointment in this draft was not capitalizing enough on the defensive line talent. I understand changing course when Josh Rosen was available and I think that was a good move. Joe Jackson in the 5th round might have helped. As it is, who are the starters at defensive end? Tank Carradine, who I liked in college, and Charles Harris are currently the leading candidates. Wilkins might play some DE as well. Any free agents the team can target who can help in 2019?

Lots of Draft Capital for 2020
I love that the Dolphins have stockpiled picks for 2020. As it stands, the team has two picks in the 2nd and fourth rounds, with the possibility of two in round three --- depending on compensatory picks. Miami has the ammo to trade up for players, or could "play it forward" moving down here and there to get more picks for 2021.

Name the Defensive ends on the 2018 Patriots? Yeah I couldn’t without looking it up.... not as important in this scheme.

Name the Defensive ends on the 2018 Patriots? Yeah I couldn’t without looking it up.... not as important in this scheme.
Exactly. Last year we had Robert Quinn and Cameron wake and it didn’t translate to anything. At this point I’m willing to give up on “big names” and see if an effective defensive scheme, game plan, can make the difference. Dolphins win Super Bowl 2023. Go fins!

I agree. I realize Miami couldn't fill all of their needs in one draft, but have to be excited if Rosen proves to be the answer.

In the meantime, I expect problems getting pressure on quarterbacks.

By the way... if you watch tape of Wilkens... you’ll see him edge rushing sometimes, and he has the athletic ability to do it... they even had him standing up and rushing the edge at times.

Well when we are in a 3 man front I imagine the DEs will be Taylor and Wilkins. In a 4 man front, Harris, Wilkins, Taylor, and depending on the distance of it being pass or run, Godcheaux or Carrdine.
Miami's coaching staff is going to have to be creative this year. I know one of our encumbents had experience at the DE position in the 3-4, but for the life of me, right now, I don't know if it was Godchaux or Taylor. My gut tells me it was Godchaux though.

By the way... if you watch tape of Wilkens... you’ll see him edge rushing sometimes, and he has the athletic ability to do it... they even had him standing up and rushing the edge at times.
He can even play running back! Quite an athlete.

Pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket and force the QB outside. You need solid tacklers on the outside that can shed blocks.

Back
Top Bottom