With Tua being a lefty is the RT position more important? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

With Tua being a lefty is the RT position more important?

I’m not saying great pass rushers are only coming from the left hand side. That wasn’t my argument. The game has changed and they come from everywhere. But LTs are usually on an island more than RTs.

Are you saying that’s not true?

I need a better quantifier than "more". More could mean 50.1% of the snaps. That said, I'm going to say I don't really know now an.d if you have RECENT (modern era) data to show, I'd like to see it.

I need a better quantifier than "more". More could mean 50.1% of the snaps. That said, I'm going to say I don't really know now an.d if you have RECENT (modern era) data to show, I'd like to see it.

I have no data honestly. Just assume based on watching the games. I could be wrong. But I’d be venture to guess data would back that. Maybe into today’s spread offenses I am wrong though.

I'm not 100% behind Creed (90-95%) because watch the Baylor games. Brayvion Roy (Panthers-6th round) was kicking his butt. That tape is out there and it may have been one of the reasons he went back to school.
I have seen film of that game and many others. I like what I have seen in the overall picture from Creed. No player is perfect, and bad days are to be had by all. Also, I believe the Panthers stole Roy on the 6th round. I believe Roy will be a very good NFL player, and better than his teammate Lynch who was drafted in the 3rd round. I think Lynch had success because of Roy

Wake was the exception, not the rule. mostly, the base end is a power rusher and not a speed rusher.

Ok...let's say a team that runs 3 down linemen as a base (Pittsburgh) comes to town and T.J. Watt is lined up at LOLB. What is the story at that point?

OP asks a good question and no one has given the right answer yet. the real reason why is because Tua isn't playing this year and we draft the best RT available with one of our 1st rounders next year.

Ok...let's say a team that runs 3 down linemen as a base (Pittsburgh) comes to town and T.J. Watt is lined up at LOLB. What is the story at that point?

the story is you should pick a better example because T.J. Watt is their ROLB/WLB and we're not playing the Steelers in 2020.

who knows who our RT will be in 2021.

In the event the left side rusher is the opponents' best pass rusher, the coaches will have to account for that. simple as that. line up the TE in line, keep a RB as a Pass blocker. you name it.

i still stand by my point that other teams will not turn their defenses upside down when facing a left-handed QB. and most teams have the speed rusher or the best pass rusher vs the LT.

the story is you should pick a better example because T.J. Watt is their ROLB/WLB and we're not playing the Steelers in 2020.

who knows who our RT will be in 2021.

In the event the left side rusher is the opponents' best pass rusher, the coaches will have to account for that. simple as that. line up the TE in line, keep a RB as a Pass blocker. you name it.

i still stand by my point that other teams will not turn their defenses upside down when facing a left-handed QB. and most teams have the speed rusher or the best pass rusher vs the LT.
For your reading pleasure. I can provide another that will say the same thing along with video...but I won't:
https://www.steelers.com/team/depth-chart/

Now, with that out of the way...what is the story with our RT IF TJ Watt is lined up over him? Does that make Watt a power rusher just because a power rusher is over there?

For your reading pleasure. I can provide another that will say the same thing along with video...but I won't:
https://www.steelers.com/team/depth-chart/

Now, with that out of the way...what is the story with our RT IF TJ Watt is lined up over him? Does that make Watt a power rusher just because a power rusher is over there?

you understood just fine what i posted.

of course if you move the speed rusher around it a) doesnt make him a different player obviously and b) if it becomes a trend, we'll have to think about putting our best athlete T on the right side.

you understood just fine what i posted.

of course if you move the speed rusher around it a) doesnt make him a different player obviously and b) if it becomes a trend, we'll have to think about putting our best athlete T on the right side.
Ok, let's put TJ Watt as LOLB for the sake of argument. What happens if Bud Dupree is lined up over our RT...in a passing down of course.

More food for thought on this:

Teams that cause Brees the most issues are teams that can bring pressure right up the middle. I think that will be a tactic opposing Defenses try to force on to Tua as well considering his similar height. Maybe even more so due to the fact that Tua possesses more lateral escapability.

Obviously, protecting your QB’s blindside is Football 101 but I’m very interested to see how Tua is able to handle pressure coming right up his grill and I think Miami’s gonna have to put just as good of an inside line in front of him as an outside. You’re probably also gonna see the best pass blocking RB get the majority of the snaps once Tua is our starter.

Do Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray experience the same issues with middle pressure as Brees? They’re considered short too.

Point being, just because Tua is roughly the same height as Brees doesn’t mean he’ll have the same deficiencies or strengths.

Despite being 6-4, Ryan Tannehill often had problems with batted balls even though others his size didn’t.

Every player and situation is different.

Back
Top Bottom