Wondering How/Why Our Legion Of International Members Became Diehard Fins Fans | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wondering How/Why Our Legion Of International Members Became Diehard Fins Fans

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
and that includes Canadian, Mexican, Central and South American fans

Why and when did you become a Dolphins fan?

Who is your all time favorite player?

Given the country borders and distances involved, other than FH, how do you keep up with the team?
thumb_inquiring-minds-want-to-know-of-the-part-mill-visit-5901857.png

1982, first season NFL shown regularly in the UK with channel 4 highlight show with Nicky Horne. Dolphins/ Redskins superbowl, loved the logo!
Favourite player Marino, and followed all Miami teams ever since especially the Canes.
Used to subscribe to Dolphins Digest, Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, and Pro Football Weekly annyally during the late 80s, 90s to keep up with news. Thank God for the internet.

Last edited:
Didnt know you were from the country of Georgia and not the state! :lol:

I miss read Vaark's title but Georgia is kind of like a different country from Miami :)

Flipper was at the Orange bowl for all the games the first few years and even had his own TV show if you did not know.

1593201458955.png

The first superbowl I remember was Giants/Broncos so I guess it was 87? I was 8 then. No idea why I chose the Dolphins, probably a combination of the name, the colour and Marino. There used to be highlights on UK TV weekly that I watched whenever I could, but information was hard to get hold of. I doubt I was even aware of concepts such as the draft back then. I recall I had a book, some kind of introduction to 'Gridiron', that explained things like playoff brackets, team histories and the differences between a 4-3 and a 3-4, and stuff like that, which I read over and over until it fell apart. I remember I loved that book so much that I tip-exed out the author's name wherever it appeared and wrote my own name in. In 1990 I moved to Germany and lived on a joint British & US Forces base, which gave me access to football cards and USF radio (not to mention jelly beans and Welch's Grape Soda). I distinctly remember listening to the AFC championship game against the Bills on crackly USF radio while tucked up in bed. After moving back to the UK a few years later I used to hunt down imported copies of USAToday a couple of times a week to check the scores and news. TSN released a fantasy football preview every year, I used to snap that up and devour it as it was the best available source of player information. I didn't even play fantasy football back then. As PhinCane said, god bless the internet.

Last edited:
I miss read Vaark's title but Georgia is kind of like a different country from Miami :)

Miami born and raised Travis just visiting GA for the past several years.

Flipper was at the Orange bowl for all the games the first few years and even had his own TV show

View attachment 49749
I know, just ribbinya.

Man. That would be so cool to still have flipper.

Not that different to Meatpardle really!
I started watching one of the highlight programmes in the mid 80's, the sport was a million miles away from 80's Football here - especially Miami. I can't remember a particular moment that I chose the Dolphins, probably that they were on the highlights regualarly, and they have the most distinctive colours. Watching a full game was very rare, I think just the Superbowl for a long time that I'd record and watch the next day, even getting up at 4AM to watch before school; other than that it was just the highlights.
I could keep up to date with a paper/magazine called First Down over here that I bought every week and scoured for information about the Dolphins, and later had a job in a newsagents stacking shelves and putting the newspapers on the shelves - they used to get a few American papers in on a Sunday so I'd flick through those to see if there was anything.

When I got my own house in the early 2000's I could get Sky Sports so I could see the Fins when they were on, or at least see what was happening live. Then gamepass, which is amazing, plus the internet has been huge. The more access I had to the team, the greater my fandom has grown - right now I'm sat in a mancave with a feature wall painted in Aqua and a wall with signed Dolphin pictures plus three helmets with signatures one.

First ever game of American Football I saw on TV was the 1972 Super Bowl as a kid and loved the Dolphins name so barracked for them during the game. Later got back into to following it during the Marino years when the sport started up in Adelaide. Used to get the Digest and Pro Football Weekly in the 80's and researched back thro the 70's to appreciate that successful decade for the Fins including later getting copies of the winning SB programs. Spent most of the last 20 years working 2 jobs so kept and eye on the scores but didn't miss much regards results. Now have more time in recent years, so follow the Fins closely as others have said, thanks to the net and watching a couple of games on local cable but aim to get a NFL game day pass to be able to watch them all if the season goes ahead this year.
Favourite players Zonk, Marino and hoping this bloke
a45ef3f5762dfe40c71ded2ca578c3fa.jpg
will stand out, as it will make a massive difference to the Fins chances of success in the future.

Roll on some more SB wins.
Thanks to all who make this site possible and contribute by posting, its been fun to interact and view others opinions.

Damn, fish you go back to the inaugural season? So, the dolphin that was in the tank in the end zone of the Orange Bowl, was the same dolphin rust was used in the tv show

Yea Flipper from the Miami Seaquarium

I was a child at the time obviously :)

Dad liked football but i was more interested in flipper slashing after scores

First ever game of American Football I saw on TV was the 1972 Super Bowl as a kid and loved the Dolphins name so barracked for them during the game. Later got back into to following it during the Marino years when the sport started up in Adelaide. Used to get the Digest and Pro Football Weekly in the 80's and researched back thro the 70's to appreciate that successful decade for the Fins including later getting copies of the winning SB programs. Spent most of the last 20 years working 2 jobs so kept and eye on the scores but didn't miss much regards results. Now have more time in recent years, so follow the Fins closely as others have said, thanks to the net and watching a couple of games on local cable but aim to get a NFL game day pass to be able to watch them all if the season goes ahead this year.
Favourite players Zonk, Marino and hoping this bloke
View attachment 49781
will stand out, as it will make a massive difference to the Fins chances of success in the future.

Roll on some more SB wins.
Thanks to all who make this site possible and contribute by posting, its been fun to interact and view others opinions.
@spiketex this bloke is from Adelaide!

Back
Top Bottom