Word that is often overused.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Word that is often overused....

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Saying a team "CHOKED". The word CHOKED is overused! 99% of the people here on this board seem to think the Yanks ALCS last year was the biggest choke job ever. While it was big, I disagree it was the biggest. But that is a debate for another time. And nobody is changing anyone's opinion anyway so why dig up the grave.

The BIGGEST CHOKE JOB OF ALL TIME took place this weekend. Arizona! 15 pt lead with just over 3 min to play. And an 8 pt lead with 50 seconds to play. Then the game was tied with 38 seconds left in the game.

If that's not the biggest choke job of all time then I dont' know what is.

Ferretsquig said:
Maryland up 10 with 55 seconds to go at Cameron....

But its not a big spot. It wasn't a regional final.

The most overused word when describing a player in any sport is potential. Whenever a young player sucks and someone is trying to back them up but they don't know what the hell they're talking about...you'll see that word thrown around like 10 times.

Another overused word that's thrown around is "bust". If a player is not in the starting line-up his rookie season well then I guess he must be a bust. :shakeno: There was a member on this board who said Robert Gallery was a huge bust because he didn't start at LT for the Raiders last season :lol:

But back to your original point, that Arizona loss sure was a major choke job.

The Duke 10 points comeback was at college park, not Cameron. The biggest choke of all time is the Red Sox blowing a 14 game at the All-Star break and then losing 4 in a row with a 4 game lead over the Yankees the last weekend of the season. The Yankees choke last year was the second biggest choke in baseball history!

You give a fifteen point lead to Savannah State, the only winless team in the country this year...and tell them to hold off any D-1 team for less than four minutes...with that cushion, even they could probably hold off a comeback like that one.

Arizona defined choke this weekend.

TerryTate said:
You give a fifteen point lead to Savannah State, the only winless team in the country this year...and tell them to hold off any D-1 team for less than four minutes...with that cushion, even they could probably hold off a comeback like that one.

Arizona defined choke this weekend.

I LOVE IT! Watching the wildchumps choke like that made my weekend. The only way it could have been better is if ASU's women beat UNC.

On a side note: Ike Diogu has declared for the draft, but he hasn't hired an agent in case he changes his mind and decides to return. IMO, it depends on the fate of Coach Evans. If he is fired, Ike is gone. It's Ike's warning to the school.

Standpoint is definitely the most over........

Whoa, almost got stuck in a timewarp there. :whew:

The most overused PHRASE....or just the one I hate most is......"there's an 'X' differential between the game clock and the shot clock".

Like I give a flying you know what. I hate it. It's like they're insulting my intelligence. Completely unnecessary.

MikeO said:
Saying a team "CHOKED". The word CHOKED is overused! 99% of the people here on this board seem to think the Yanks ALCS last year was the biggest choke job ever. While it was big, I disagree it was the biggest. But that is a debate for another time. And nobody is changing anyone's opinion anyway so why dig up the grave.

The BIGGEST CHOKE JOB OF ALL TIME took place this weekend. Arizona! 15 pt lead with just over 3 min to play. And an 8 pt lead with 50 seconds to play. Then the game was tied with 38 seconds left in the game.

If that's not the biggest choke job of all time then I dont' know what is.

Yea, that is pretty freakin bad, similar to that Monday nighter we all remember so vividly. It's similar without the finality of a playoff situation.

What was the biggest choke of all-time in Baseball history?

Being up 3-0 in the ALCS/NLCS used to be(until last year) for all practical purposes a World Sereis birth, having to win a 4th game while up 3-0 just delayed the inevitable.

I never really thought it was the all-time worst choke in sports history after it happened, but in baseball history, yea it was.. You can choke big and not make the playoffs but it's amplified 100x when you're about to punch your ticket to the World Series and you can't because you can't sneak 1 win out of the next 4 games!

FiN.in.RI said:
Yea, that is pretty freakin bad, similar to that Monday nighter we all remember so vividly. It's similar without the finality of a playoff situation.

What was the biggest choke of all-time in Baseball history?

Being up 3-0 in the ALCS/NLCS used to be(until last year) for all practical purposes a World Sereis birth, having to win a 4th game while up 3-0 just delayed the inevitable.

I never really thought it was the all-time worst choke in sports history after it happened, but in baseball history, yea it was.. You can choke big and not make the playoffs but it's amplified 100x when you're about to punch your ticket to the World Series and you can't because you can't sneak 1 win out of the next 4 games!

True, but the reason I don't consider it the all time biggest choke job in baseball history is because 1) It's the Yanks and they already have 26 championships. If it was a team that never wins, then its a different story 2) They were already in the ALCS and that alone is an accomplishment.

I consider 1986 Mets/Red Sox where the Sox had a lead 3-2 in the series and in Game 6, in the 9th inning, 2 outs and 2 strikes on Kevin Mitchell. Only 1 strike away from winning a WS.......that is a bigger choke job in my opinion. Forget one game away from making the WS.......one strike away from WINNING the WS.

But for all of sports, Arizona this past weekend might be #1 on the list. How can you have an 8 pt lead with 50 seconds left, NEVER TAKE A FOUL SHOT, and have the game tied with around 32 seconds left! Amazing!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Duke 10 points comeback was at college park, not Cameron. The biggest choke of all time is the Red Sox blowing a 14 game at the All-Star break and then losing 4 in a row with a 4 game lead over the Yankees the last weekend of the season. The Yankees choke last year was the second biggest choke in baseball history!

The Sox didn't blow a 4 game lead the last weekedn of the season, the "Boston massacre" took place a few weeks earlier and going into the last week the yanks had a 2 or 3 game lead and Boston came back to tie before the yanks beat them in the 1 game playoff.

I'm a Yankee fan and it's hard to argue becoming the first baseball team ever to lose a series after a 3-0 lead.

By the way FinsNYanksFan13, isn't it time you got a new sig? :D

First, "focus" is the most overused word in sports...

Second, you Yankees fans crack me up...

Still in denial.

Still wont admit that being up 3 games to none in the ninth inning of game 4 with Mariano Rivera in the game is the biggest choke of all time.

Losing ONE basketball game when up by double digits is a choke, but...

Being up 3-0 and losing four in a row is the biggest choke of all time.
It's never happened before in baseball...and it happened to the Yankees, therefore Yankees fan are in denial.
And PUHHHHlease, another built in excuse...."They already won 26 championships"....LMAO!!!!
It's still a C-H-O-K-E.
From now until eternity, anytime there is a baseball playoff series and a team is up three games to none you will never hear an announcer say that this comeback has never happened...'cause it did...to YOUR beloved Yankees...and you will get to hear it each and everytime the postseason rolls around in baseball.
The Yankees had 27 more innings to bounce back after the Game 4 loss...then they choked again in game 5...
18 innings remaining...
Then the apple got larger...
9 innings remaining...
Then the choke was final.

Yes, Yankees fan, you can go home now.
Back into that cement coffin of a stadium that you call a house.
Back to your $6 hot dogs and 80 million dollar free agent signings.
Back to your pitchers who throw temper tantrums and punch walls.
Back to your 1st baseman and right fielder shooting themselves up with 'roids...but only one admitting it.
Back to your "stick in the fork you have been finished for two years now Cfer".
But one thing you will NEVER shake....the BIGGEST choke in the history of sports.
Please stop being in denial.:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :laughat: :cry:

nobody's saying the Yanks didn't choke. Move on already

Arizona's loss and how they lost was much bigger of a choke. Looking at the score, time remaining, and how they just handed it away. A 15 pt lead with 3 min to play. An 8 pt lead with 50 seconds to play. They didn't even let Illionis foul them and go to the foul line to shoot some free throws. It's an epic choke job that might never be seen again.

You hate yanks,you like it when they lose! We understand, time to move on to another subject now!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Lemme see...
A team loses a basketball game after being up by double digits with 3 minutes left....
A team loses a playoff "series" after being up THREE GAMES to NONE with the lead and their closer in the game in the ninth innings of games 4 and 5...

Losing one game...
Losing FOUR in a row...

:wink: You're right...you should drop it. Teams in basketball have lost games before when up by double digits with under five minutes remaining...
But no team has ever blown a three-zilch lead in Major League Baseball in its 100+ year history until your beloved Yankees did...
I betcha you wouldn't feel the same if it was the Mets or Bosox who blew such a historical lead.:rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

Back
Top Bottom