Worried about Tomlin's age? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worried about Tomlin's age?

Crypt Keeper

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
If you guys are worried about Tomlin being only 34, keep in mind that Don Shula was only 33 when he became the head coach of the Baltimore Colts.

Keep in mind that was a completely different era in football.

I dont personally care about age, but I believe comparing anything then to anything now is a reach.

If you guys are worried about Tomlin being only 34, keep in mind that Don Shula was only 33 when he became the head coach of the Baltimore Colts.

Yes, but it's even more than that. Consider...

One could argue that in the modern era, a 34 year old today is more well-versed in NFL knowledge today than in 1970 because of things like the internet, ESPN, cell phones, fax machines, etc. etc. IMO, all of these changes add up to a 34 year old coordinator in 2006 being significantly more advanced than a guy of his same age who coached three decades ago.

Not a knock on Shula, but IMO he would have had to be in his mid to late 40s to have seen, heard, and studied as much as a guy like Tomlin or Schottenheimer would have had the opportunity to be exposed to through the technology improvements alone. Information was not instant in 1970.

Tomlin is no Shula or Mangini...and who cares about his age....John Gruden was the youngest coach to win a superbowl and Tomlin is no Gruden either.

All I care is that a coach takes us to the big game....I believr Tomlin can do that.

Yes, but it's even more than that. Consider...

One could argue that in the modern era, a 34 year old today is more well-versed in NFL knowledge today than in 1970 because of things like the internet, ESPN, cell phones, fax machines, etc. etc. IMO, all of these changes add up to a 34 year old coordinator in 2006 being significantly more advanced than a guy of his same age who coached three decades ago.

Not a knock on Shula, but IMO he would have had to be in his mid to late 40s to have seen, heard, and studied as much as a guy like Tomlin or Schottenheimer would have had the opportunity to be exposed to through the technology improvements alone. Information was not instant in 1970.

Keep in mind, Shula was a Pro player, and was mentored by the great Paul Brown. That was a large part of why he was ready so young, also he was an extremely strong leader and mature for his age.

Personally, I love the fact that he's young.

Besides, what is Magini.. like 35, 36? I think he also had exactly one season of coordinator experience before becoming HC of the Jets as well, like Tomlin. Very similar.

Tomlin is on the steady rise to me. He's right up there with Whisenhunt/Cameron now.

It freaks me out a little, but only because I'm older than Tomlin and Schottenheimer (I just turned 35).

But I don't mind that either of them is that young because they could have a long run ahead of them as head coach. Compare that with Martz or Carroll ... they're in their mid-50s, so can you see them coaching 15 years like Cowher just did in Pittsburgh? Not likely.

Let's give one of these young whippersnappers (!) a shot.

I would like Tomlin. He sounds like the kind of coach that can adapt. Of course we'll be losing Dom Capers, so we'll need to get a defensive coordinator who was in that 3-4 defense in Pittsburgh. Maybe we can hire one of Pittsburg's defensive assistants as a DC. Doesn't Wade Phillips run the 3-4 that Capers runs?

Do we have a defensive coach on staff currently who learned the defense well enough? Ie our linebackers coach?

The other thing is, Tomlin is a bright guy who good defensive coaches were after. I think our team leaders (Taylor and Thomas) are mature enough to help Tomlin out with the leadership of the team. If Taylor, Thomas, Carter and Holliday buy into Tomlin from the beginning Tomlin will succeed. Also, Tomlin enters as a defensive backs coach. That's the unit that gave us the most problems. We'll upgrade that unit in the offseason and Maybe Tomlin can bring over some good depth from his Minnesota group.

Back
Top Bottom