Worse? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worse?

JAREDMANN

Seau's Slut
Reaction score
Who did the worst job Speilman (Feely deal, Booker deal, Boston) or Wanny (Fiedler, Ricky, and many, many more)

I really cant tell i want to say Wanny b/c he was brutal but Wanny making the trades and drafts at least we never went 4-12

That's a simple answer for me

Wannstedt had pathetic personnel instincts, both in players and assistant coaches. But his basic philosophy of football is fine; defense and run oriented.

I would like to remind it's called the Vince Lombardi Trophy, not the Don Coryell Trophy. All of these posts suggesting we would have thrived if Wanny had opened up the offense are base ignorant. We were personnel deficient. The strategy would have looked fantastic if you switched QBs and offensive linemen. Run the ball often, pass the ball well.

Speilman, in contrast, has never demonstrated level one competence, in my book. He would pay Brooklyn property rates for an acre of landfill in Mississippi. Trading up to pick Carey was the most infantile and petrified draft day move in the 30+ years I have followed the NFL. Zero concept of what was required to make that move, or what the 4th rounder was worth. There is one theme among Speilman's moves; your second level guys will bloom for us, so I have no problem paying through the roof to get them.

Speilman gave up way to much for nothing at all IMO.

JAREDMANN said:
Who did the worst job Speilman (Feely deal, Booker deal, Boston) or Wanny (Fiedler, Ricky, and many, many more)

I really cant tell i want to say Wanny b/c he was brutal but Wanny making the trades and drafts at least we never went 4-12

You need a couple of years to really determine the value of trades and drafts. Give Speilman that at least. Wanny's moves, on the other hand, can be evaluated and he failed miserably.

Afterall, Boston was a calculated risk that didn't pan out (yet, I'd still love to see him in a Fins uniform and playing.)

The Feeley deal will probably go down as a bad move but you have to consider that in the first place, you will always overpay for a QB..that is the nature of the beast in the NFL, and Wanny ruined any chance of him being successful by not giving him the opportunity, and when he was finally forced into action, had nothing to surround him with in the form of an OL or RB. Now, the guy finds himself in exactly the same scenario with Saban, having to prove himself with virtually the same OL and no RB...Now, do I think that the addition of HH will make the OL better..yes...do I think that Saban will come up with another option at RB...yes...do I think that even if he doesn't, that Linehan can make chicken salad with Gordon/Minor/Morris..yes...So we'll have to see...

Booker...a solid #3 reciever...the problem is that we needed a #2 reciever to compliment Chambers, but what else was there available for us when that deal was made ?? Booker was the best we could have gotten at the TIME of that deal. Besides look what happened with the QB situation and tell me if last year was a fair evaluation of Booker or Chambers or McMike.

Wanny on the other hand, couldn't get his coaches to get along, made poor choices of coaches (letting Westhoff go, keeping Wise on, Foerster as OC, etc). He made poor draft choices. Not talent wise, but in fitting his drafted players to his scheme. (Fletcher, Knight, Freeman being played out of position for several years, Konrad used as a pure blocking FB, etc). We only know the media accounts of the RW situation, but by their account, he mishandled RWs conversations last July when he quit...Most of these things happened last year, but you can go back to each year and see the same things...How about sticking with Ears when you and I could tell his obvious limitations and NEVER making a real attempt at getting a quality guy in to either groom or replace him...and when a guy was brought in, he was never given a proper chance...(Griese, Feeley, Sage, even Lucas). How about his inability (or stubornness) to make in-game changes/adjustments to his schemes (both offensively and defensively) that were obviously not working ?? I guess if I had a better memory, I could go on and on over the last 4 years...

So, by far, the worse damage done to the Fins organization was by Wanny.

Wannstadt vs Spielman

Wanny was much worse. Spielman was only given final say this past year. He was a much better talent evaluator than Wanny. Booker is a 2 time pro bowler and is much more than a "3rd receiver". Also, recall that Chicago was offering David Terrell, not Booker. It was Spielman who insisted on Booker.
I agree that with a better poker face Feeley could have been obtained with a 3rd or 4th round pick. 2nd rounder was way to much to give up for an unproven commodity.
In prior drafts it was Spielman who wanted to draft Boldin, but Wanny over ruled him. He also was interested in Kendrell Bell, but Wanny chose Jamar Fletcher instead.
Thsi past season I think Speilman felt a lot of pressure to turn things around quickly, however, if he had been running the draft for the last 4-5 years the organization would be in better shape.
BTW this last draft wasn't to shabby. Spielman has been pretty good at finding mid to late round value i.e. Hadnot, Pope, Bua. Prior to last season McMichael, Chambers etc.

Well Feeley he gave up to much for, but the Booker trade I feel was good. I won't blame him about Boston and it was a low pick anyway, plus we still may sign him.

Wanny and Jay, despite what people feel about Jay, he won a lot of games, and we had nobody better to play. Ricky, we all loved that deal, who knew what he would do.

I would call it a draw!

jlfin said:
Wanny was much worse. Spielman was only given final say this past year. He was a much better talent evaluator than Wanny. Booker is a 2 time pro bowler and is much more than a "3rd receiver". Also, recall that Chicago was offering David Terrell, not Booker. It was Spielman who insisted on Booker.
I agree that with a better poker face Feeley could have been obtained with a 3rd or 4th round pick. 2nd rounder was way to much to give up for an unproven commodity.
In prior drafts it was Spielman who wanted to draft Boldin, but Wanny over ruled him. He also was interested in Kendrell Bell, but Wanny chose Jamar Fletcher instead.
Thsi past season I think Speilman felt a lot of pressure to turn things around quickly, however, if he had been running the draft for the last 4-5 years the organization would be in better shape.
BTW this last draft wasn't to shabby. Spielman has been pretty good at finding mid to late round value i.e. Hadnot, Pope, Bua. Prior to last season McMichael, Chambers etc.

We should have recieved a draft pick instead of Booker. That would have been smarter. Draft picks dont cry like girly men either. :mad:

JAREDMANN said:

Wanny. Rick has done a fine job

Back
Top Bottom