Worst play call in postseason sports history... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst play call in postseason sports history...

Trucanes99

Active Roster
Reaction score
The only other decisions I can think of that are even in the conversation are: (1) Torre pitching Jeff Weaver over Rivera in Game 4 of the '03 WS, which basically handed the Marlins the title, and (2) Calipari not fouling Mario Chalmers at the end of regulation in the '08 NCAA Men's hoops final, allowing him to tie the game with a 3. But not giving the ball to Lynch with half a yard to go is the worst by far.

I don't claim to have the memory to know the true answer to your question. All I can say is there is absolutely no excuse for throwing a slant at the 1 when you're down by 4 and there's 40 seconds left in Super Bowl 49.

I honestly can't think of a single play that was worse in regular or post-season play, and certainly none so obvious with so much on the line. He had three shots at Lynch punching it in, all of which would have given Brady less time than any possible outcome with a pass. Did Lynch have any negative yardage plays in the entire game?

While it's cliche to call for somebody to be fired, if there was ever a single call that would warrant firing, we just witnessed it.

Tom Brady should do the right thing and hand over the MVP trophy to whomever made that call. Because that is the sole reason the Pats won.

To be honest with you I hate both teams. Sherman running his filthy mouth and beating his chest has me kind of happy they will be thinking about this loss the rest of their lives and it puts their dynasty talk on hold. Yes Brady and Belicheat won another Superbowl but most fans think of the Patriots as Cheaters. Their legacy is tarnished. I am looking forward to next year and the future.

Considering the weight attached to the postseason and that single play call threw away a championship, I don't know that there's ever been a worse single play call in sports history. It was kind of amazing to witness. I've always disliked bevell and thought him wildly overrated but to have such spectacular confirmation. I'm still a bit stunned by it.

2 years ago Harbuagh should have given the ball to Gore. Very similar sutuation. Team gets away from it strength trying to catch the other team off guard. Stick with your bread and butter.

Definitely the number one worst call in sports history. The worn out Patriots couldn't stop Beast Mode all day. 3 shots and just enough time to do it. Run Marshawn Lynch 3 times and get sized for your Super Bowl rings ... it literally was that easy. But no, you need to throw a pass ... not a rollout option ... a forced dart into very tight coverage and a sea of colliding defenders. That's gotta be the worst play call in sport history, no doubt.

And people love that OC. I don't get it. Lynch makes that offense and was Unstoppable. ... I have no doubt that Shula would have run Csonka 3 more times there and won the game.

I am still reeling from that. How stupid can you be?
I don't think Lynch had one negative carry yesterday. The Pats defense was exhausted. That is a no brainer.

If you want to get fancy and pass run a play action. At least Wilson has the opportunity to throw the ball away and you live for another play.

It was a good throw, receiver was there but Butler made a great play with a well timed contact. This is something you have to expect when you play in a Super Bowl throwing from the 1 into the middle of the defense. Stupid, stupid play call.

What I don't understand, and I'll never understand, is how anyone can blame Wilson on that play. He threw a bullet right to the receiver and the defensive player made an excellent play on the ball.

It's like deciding to kick a fg on a first down from the redzone and blaming the kicker if he misses it. No way you run the dumbest/riskiest play in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom