Worst Sports Sigings of All Time | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst Sports Sigings of All Time

I think it's terrible. Clemens hasn't even played yet so he should not be on there. Plus it's only 4 months so it's not like it cripples them financially. Beckham just signed so that's ridiculous. Larry Brown was a good signing but he was set up to fail. Nobody could've won with that team. Carl Pavano should be on this list. 4 years/$40 million and his Yankee career is over after Tommy John surgery. He was 4-6 in 2005, missed 2006, had 2 starts in 2007, and will miss 2008.

I totally agree with a lot of that but the Clemens thing can't be on this list. What if the guy goes 12-2 with a 2.00 ERA in his half season? the Beckham signing can't be on this list either in my opinion. The 250 million is NOT his salary. A lot of that is endorsements and considering he's one of the 5 most recognizable athletes in the World it will turn into a good deal.

I totally agree with a lot of that but the Clemens thing can't be on this list. What if the guy goes 12-2 with a 2.00 ERA in his half season? the Beckham signing can't be on this list either in my opinion. The 250 million is NOT his salary. A lot of that is endorsements and considering he's one of the 5 most recognizable athletes in the World it will turn into a good deal.

I will be missing the Dolphins vs. Pats home game to take my 15 year old daughter to see LA play at Chicago. She has been "in love" with Beckham for years. She loves soccer and Beckham and has his posters on her walls.

Agree completely with the Clemens thing. Let's wait and see how the guy does before it's considered a bad signing.

I have to go with Beckham.

Americans are just never going to take to soccer. I remember how Italians felt about soccer when I lived in Italy....they would go out in the street and celebrate or cry and scream in anguish when their teams won or loss. I've never seen anything like it over here for any sport. Soccer is life or death over there.

Well I would not agree with the inclusion of the Spurrier contract. At least he was honest enough to walk away honestly, unlike a coaching contract we were all too aware of here:err::rolleyes2:unsure::fire: That contract definitely deserves to be on the list instead of the Spurrier one.
There are some other contracts that I think of. Baseball free-agent contracts like the 10-year deal the Indians gave to Wayne Garland in 1978, in which he was on the active roster for the equivalent of three years. The 1991 Angels deal to Gary Gaetti which was for 4 years at $16 million, and they dropped him after 2 years. The Kevin Brown $ 105 million contract from the Dodgers in 1999, where they dumped him to the Yankees after 5 years for a catcher who did not stick. The infamous Darren Drietford $55 million contract the Dodgers signed him to to keep him, when they were not even sure if he was a starter or a set-up guy. The five-year $30 million contract to Vladimir Radmonovich got from the Lakers this year, where he could not crack the starting lineup, and got hurt by doing snowboarding, while lying about it. That contract is a lot of the reason for Kobe Bryant's complaining lately.:tantrum:

Dodger fans may go into a coma, but no list is complete without Darren F'N Dreifort. Five years, $55 Million (at the time a HUGE contract) only pitche din parts of three of those five season and had a whopping 9-15 record over those five years AS A STARTER. Ugh. Terrible.

In his defense, he was a gamer and kept coming back to try and earn his money. He was simply made of glass and should have never gotten that contract considering at the time of the contract, he was 39-45 with an ERA well over 4.00.

The worst part was, the Dodgers drafted him second overall in the 1993 draft. The reason they drafted him? Because the Mariners drafted first and took the prospect they wanted, Alex Rodriguez.

Dodger fans may go into a coma, but no list is complete without Darren F'N Dreifort. Five years, $55 Million (at the time a HUGE contract) only pitche din parts of three of those five season and had a whopping 9-15 record over those five years AS A STARTER. Ugh. Terrible.

In his defense, he was a gamer and kept coming back to try and earn his money. He was simply made of glass and should have never gotten that contract considering at the time of the contract, he was 39-45 with an ERA well over 4.00.

The worst part was, the Dodgers drafted him second overall in the 1993 draft. The reason they drafted him? Because the Mariners drafted first and took the prospect they wanted, Alex Rodriguez.

Yeah but A-Rod was the hands down #1 comin out of high school so everyone would have taken him. Thats like the Pistons being disappointed that they didn't get a shot a Lebron with the #2 pick overall.

Go Dodgers

You cant call the Beckham deal a failure until he has played at least a season in MLS.

I think this will be the tipping point for MLS , he will either take it onto a new level or it wont progress and will remain a second teir league in World terms.

I also forgot about the Mike Hampton deal....I think he was offered around $110 million, he stunk with the Rockies and they dealt him to Atlanta...he has been hurt every year.

Back
Top Bottom