Worst Wanny Move | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worst Wanny Move

Whitedolphin54 said:
to be fair Fletcher was a good player in college--i think the problem was that wanny was probably out of his depth--and we cant blame all the draft picks just on him--He did want to win after all

Everyone said Fletcher would never make it in the NFL. He can't play man-to-man.

I think it was the 2 first round picks and a second round pick for the pothead.

Champ said:
Everyone said Fletcher would never make it in the NFL. He can't play man-to-man.

I think it was the 2 first round picks and a second round pick for the pothead.
Dude that was great until he quit.

I'll throw in one that hasn't been mentioned

The performance clause in the Ricky Williams trade was far too generous to New Orleans. As soon as I saw it, I screamed, "there goes another damn first round pick you moron!" Based on Wanny's philosophy and with a mediocrity at QB, it was inevitable Ricky's workload would be massive and the yardage would follow as a result.

It's near suicidal to give up two first rounders, for anyone, in back to back years. Those players should be making up the corp of our team right now. Instead, we're still relying on players from JJ's era in that mode and our overall personnel is below average.

Otherwise, I was shocked at drafting Fletcher, but even more shocked that he flopped so decisively. That kid made plays at Wisconsin, both in the secondary and in the kicking game.

Eddie Moore was a worse pick than Fletcher, IMO. He was undersized, always nicked in college, and never hinted as a blue chipper.

I think the major gaffe by this franchise in the past 10 years has been undervaluing athletic ability among offensive linemen. We draft stiffs, then wonder why they are overwhelmed by defensive linemen who have three times the agility and burst. Only when we stumbled upon pickups like Jamie Nails and Mark Dixon did we finally have a hint of athleticism on our front line and the positive results flowed briefly, until they were injured beyond repair.

Didn't read too far into the thread, but i'm sure the FEELY trade was the biggest load of $h*T I've ever seen. And look where it got us... 4 and 11, WHY?

3 good receivers(#80,81,84) plus 3 crappy QBs (#9,7,18)=Stupid!!!
He should have gone with a PROVEN QB,
By that I mean, started a ew games and won those games.
Sorry if expectations seem a bit high on that one, but Wanny was a jerk and a ******* (ie: "Lets run the ball 3rd and 12")

Getting rid of a good o-line coach for his guy T. Wise, the line did well in RW 1st year but declined horribly. Having no vision in terms of a downfield passing game or a quality QB.

Passing up Brees and drafting fletcher.

Passing up Boldin, and drafting moore.

Wanny's biggest mistake was his belief that his philosophy (offensive or defensive) would be succesful no matter what type of team he is playing - he never made in-game adjustments and never designed a game-plan to suit his players or who he was playing against. Look at the plays designed for feeley...the running plays for minor...the defensive schemes when the interior of our line blew up - he never changed his approach to suit the team - he expected the team to be able to change their abilities based on his narrow definition of what wins football games

Never having a clear cut #1 QB. If your QB is so bad that you have to bring guys in EVERY YEAR to take his spot, just draft a guy!

Just think if we had taken even a project in 2000 or 2001... He might be the franchise now.

I don't blame Wanny anymore. I blame the organization for hiring him. He didn't exactly light it up in Chicago.

drafting Jamar Fletcher, Eddie Moore when we could have had play makers on offense and hiring foerester as offensive coordinator.

or to total it all up in two words

almost everthing!:mad:

BLUEPHIN said:
Wanny's biggest mistake was his belief that his philosophy (offensive or defensive) would be succesful no matter what type of team he is playing - he never made in-game adjustments and never designed a game-plan to suit his players or who he was playing against. Look at the plays designed for feeley...the running plays for minor...the defensive schemes when the interior of our line blew up - he never changed his approach to suit the team - he expected the team to be able to change their abilities based on his narrow definition of what wins football games

I agree completely. He was completely lost when it came to making adjustments. How many times did we lose games by small margins simply because Wannestadt refused to open the offense up? He also thought a 7pt lead was enough and shut down the offense to try and run the clock out in like the 1st quarter. He coached scared and not to lose. He just doesnt have the mentality to be a good headcoach.
Really, Wannestadt has always been the same guy, it was Wayne H.'s fault 110% for allowing JJ to "assign" his replacement. We should have been looking in a new direction to a guy like Saban 4 or 5 years ago, not taking JJ's handpicked buddy for a replacement. We knew what Dave Wannestadt was in Chicago and that was a poor headcoach. We wasted all the defensive talent's prime years (well most of them) by allowing the Wanny/Jay Fiedler era to hold us down.

Back
Top Bottom