Would Anyone be Opposed to this First Round? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Anyone be Opposed to this First Round?

1 (5) Tua Tagovailoa (Miami may have to trade up)
2. (18) Justin Jefferson
2. (26) D'Andre Swift

I know the team needs to build both lines and that has to be a priority. But, they could get part of the way there in free agency and really focus on the offensive line in R2 and forward. I'd sign a pass rusher in free agency.

The need for Tua is obvious. Jefferson seems like the perfect complement to Parker and Williams. Tough, good hands, probably runs a little better than 4.4 and is deadly in the slot. I think Swift is the best all-around back in this draft. Very shifty, more powerful than he looks, catches well out of the backfield.
Brother, you're awesome, but I want none of that draft. Tua is a great prospect .. but he has a very troubling injury history. I'm more interested in getting a RB in rounds 3-5, and definitely not in the 1st or 2nd round. The absolute last thing I want is to trade up ... nothing would infuriate me more than to squander our chance to make a good team by wasting picks on a QB gamble we could have easily had if we didn't insist on beating the Bengals in OT. Well, maybe if the Dolphins moved to London, that might infuriate me more .... but that's about it.

While I appreciate and respect your opinion SF .. this time our opinions differ. :)

Brother, you're awesome, but I want none of that draft. Tua is a great prospect .. but he has a very troubling injury history. I'm more interested in getting a RB in rounds 3-5, and definitely not in the 1st or 2nd round. The absolute last thing I want is to trade up ... nothing would infuriate me more than to squander our chance to make a good team by wasting picks on a QB gamble we could have easily had if we didn't insist on beating the Bengals in OT. Well, maybe if the Dolphins moved to London, that might infuriate me more .... but that's about it.

While I appreciate and respect your opinion SF .. this time our opinions differ. :)
I get that. I was looking for the best way to add explosion to an offense that was hard to watch at times. In fact, most of the year.

My assumption was that Miami would add a starting caliber offensive linemen in free agency and add a few more in rounds two and beyond.

With that thought I mocked skill players, who I think would be perfect fits in Chan Gailey's system.

Yeah, Tua's injury is concerning. Will be interesting to see which way Miami goes with quarterback.

I get that. I was looking for the best way to add explosion to an offense that was hard to watch at times. In fact, most of the year.

My assumption was that Miami would add a starting caliber offensive linemen in free agency and add a few more in rounds two and beyond.

With that thought I mocked skill players, who I think would be perfect fits in Chan Gailey's system.

Yeah, Tua's injury is concerning. Will be interesting to see which way Miami goes with quarterback.
The QB position sees a lot of booming and busting. Sure, it has its fair share of simply not living up to potential ... but the bust quotient at that position is high. What I like about Tua is that he's solid to good at almost everything. What I don't like is that he's not really elite at anything. With the durability questions, two ankles and now a hip ... not sure how he's going to hold up 5 years from now. I'm not interested in another 1st rounder we don't re-sign, and it'll take some serious investing into a QB to get this offense working. I like the guy ... but I don't trust his health. His floor is exceedingly high ... his ceiling isn't, and if that floor starts to become undependable because of injuries ... I'm not pulling the trigger.

Remember, he had Jeudy and Ruggs as his WR's, multiple first round OL, and Najee Harris running the ball. That's an NFL team against collegians ... and high-end talent NFL team too. Tua wasn't the most accurate thrower (Burrow), although he is accurate. He wasn't the fastest information processor (Fromm), he doesn't have the best physical size/speed/arm combo (Herbert) and he didn't have the fastest release (Eason). Tua is all-around good ... but he's never going to be Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes ... never. He's good enough to win a Super Bowl ... but if he's not healthy in a collegiate season, how will he hold up as he ages against ferocious NFL players for 16j-20 games a year? He isn't Roethlisberger ... and he can't keep taking those hits. His injuries aren't even really hit injuries, the hip was just too much stress playing ... at 20 years old. Yeah, I'm scared off because of the injuries.

Burrow seems like a fantastic version of Andy Dalton ... but that's not as impressive as I'd like from the sure-fire #1 overall pick. I expected this QB class to be exceptional ... it disappointed. Just imagine who we would look at this had Joe Burrow not emerged?

2. (18) Justin Jefferson
2. (26) D'Andre Swift

I know the team needs to build both lines and that has to be a priority. But, they could get part of the way there in free agency and really focus on the offensive line in R2 and forward. I'd sign a pass rusher in free agency.

The need for Tua is obvious. Jefferson seems like the perfect complement to Parker and Williams. Tough, good hands, probably runs a little better than 4.4 and is deadly in the slot. I think Swift is the best all-around back in this draft. Very shifty, more powerful than he looks, catches well out of the backfield.
2. (18) Justin Jefferson
2. (26) D'Andre Swift

Im on board with Tua.
I can’t agree with next two picks, following reasons- rather not go RB Rd1, prefer to use that 5th year option on more valuable position. I believe RB probably least valuable position so def not Rd1. Plus I can’t really distinguish from some of these RBs. Would be happy with the LSU RB late Rd2.

With regards to the WR, it may be our strongest position - I don’t see Jefferson as dominant so pass Rd1.

The QB position sees a lot of booming and busting. Sure, it has its fair share of simply not living up to potential ... but the bust quotient at that position is high. What I like about Tua is that he's solid to good at almost everything. What I don't like is that he's not really elite at anything. With the durability questions, two ankles and now a hip ... not sure how he's going to hold up 5 years from now. I'm not interested in another 1st rounder we don't re-sign, and it'll take some serious investing into a QB to get this offense working. I like the guy ... but I don't trust his health. His floor is exceedingly high ... his ceiling isn't, and if that floor starts to become undependable because of injuries ... I'm not pulling the trigger.

Remember, he had Jeudy and Ruggs as his WR's, multiple first round OL, and Najee Harris running the ball. That's an NFL team against collegians ... and high-end talent NFL team too. Tua wasn't the most accurate thrower (Burrow), although he is accurate. He wasn't the fastest information processor (Fromm), he doesn't have the best physical size/speed/arm combo (Herbert) and he didn't have the fastest release (Eason). Tua is all-around good ... but he's never going to be Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes ... never. He's good enough to win a Super Bowl ... but if he's not healthy in a collegiate season, how will he hold up as he ages against ferocious NFL players for 16j-20 games a year? He isn't Roethlisberger ... and he can't keep taking those hits. His injuries aren't even really hit injuries, the hip was just too much stress playing ... at 20 years old. Yeah, I'm scared off because of the injuries.

Burrow seems like a fantastic version of Andy Dalton ... but that's not as impressive as I'd like from the sure-fire #1 overall pick. I expected this QB class to be exceptional ... it disappointed. Just imagine who we would look at this had Joe Burrow not emerged?
It will interesting to see how they approach the quarterback position. Before the hiring of Chan Gailey, I thought the three best fits were Burrow, Tua and Fromm.

That could still be the case, but perhaps Love and Herbert are now in the equation. Neither have the anticipation of the three mentioned above and are less ready. But they could sit behind Fitzpatrick.

1. Mocks are dumb
2. Miami is not taking swift especially in round 1
3. The best back in the draft is dobbins

It will interesting to see how they approach the quarterback position. Before the hiring of Chan Gailey, I thought the three best fits were Burrow, Tua and Fromm.

That could still be the case, but perhaps Love and Herbert are now in the equation. Neither have the anticipation of the three mentioned above and are less ready. But they could sit behind Fitzpatrick.
Agreed. Not sure how I would have ranked them ... honestly, I'm still quite impressed with Fromm, but Herbert's stock will continue to rise because of his Senior Bowl practices and on-field performance, plus the fact that high-ceiling players tend to skyrocket as the draft nears. I must admit though, I'm very, very, very intrigued by the super-quick release of Jacob Eason and he does seem to have quick processing ability to read and react to defenses. If I were betting on a project I think I might get pretty excited about Jacob Eason, despite the high boom or bust potential.

While Patrick Mahomes was utterly unorthodox, his ability to sling it was very impressive and his off-script abilities were unparalleled. He received great coaching from Andy Reid and exploded beyond even what I thought his potential was. If there is one player in this draft at any position that might explode beyond everyone's projection ... I think it would be Eason. Sure, Love has potential, is raw, and is a boom or bust prospect, but I think people see that he has a high ceiling and, IMHO, overrate that. Love was a poor QB in 2019, and despite all the changes in coaching and personnel, that simply shouldn't happen if a QB is an NFL caliber player about to turn pro. Eason on the other hand ... needs to learn how to play the position, control his mindset better, and implement what the coaches tell him ... because the processing and delivery is utterly top shelf. And honestly, those two things + accuracy (the most important one), are what makes good NFL QB's ... not arm strength, mobility, leadership, etc. .... although all of those help, and Eason has all of them. Eason reminds me of a young Brett Favre ... and the Falcons gave up on him after 1 year ... and lived to regret it.

Agreed. Not sure how I would have ranked them ... honestly, I'm still quite impressed with Fromm, but Herbert's stock will continue to rise because of his Senior Bowl practices and on-field performance, plus the fact that high-ceiling players tend to skyrocket as the draft nears. I must admit though, I'm very, very, very intrigued by the super-quick release of Jacob Eason and he does seem to have quick processing ability to read and react to defenses. If I were betting on a project I think I might get pretty excited about Jacob Eason, despite the high boom or bust potential.

While Patrick Mahomes was utterly unorthodox, his ability to sling it was very impressive and his off-script abilities were unparalleled. He received great coaching from Andy Reid and exploded beyond even what I thought his potential was. If there is one player in this draft at any position that might explode beyond everyone's projection ... I think it would be Eason. Sure, Love has potential, is raw, and is a boom or bust prospect, but I think people see that he has a high ceiling and, IMHO, overrate that. Love was a poor QB in 2019, and despite all the changes in coaching and personnel, that simply shouldn't happen if a QB is an NFL caliber player about to turn pro. Eason on the other hand ... needs to learn how to play the position, control his mindset better, and implement what the coaches tell him ... because the processing and delivery is utterly top shelf. And honestly, those two things + accuracy (the most important one), are what makes good NFL QB's ... not arm strength, mobility, leadership, etc. .... although all of those help, and Eason has all of them. Eason reminds me of a young Brett Favre ... and the Falcons gave up on him after 1 year ... and lived to regret it.
Do you have any clue about Eason's intangibles? Leadership style etc.?

Fromm didn't help himself this year, but I think he has some traits that are hard to teach, like anticipation specifically. He has always reminded me of a Kirk Cousins type, which I mean as a positive.

Do you have any clue about Eason's intangibles? Leadership style etc.?

Fromm didn't help himself this year, but I think he has some traits that are hard to teach, like anticipation specifically. He has always reminded me of a Kirk Cousins type, which I mean as a positive.
I'm still going through the Eason stuff when I can, so I'm not ready to say just yet ... but if the discipline, footwork and reliability comes through on Eason, he can be special.

Agreed, Fromm is the best QB coming out from the neck up. He diagnoses defenses pre-snap very well, reads and reacts super-quick, and generally makes good decisions and is highly accurate. Bit of a slump for him this year .... but even in a slump year he performed quite well. Some QB needy teams drafting in the 2nd half of the 1st round might get lucky and land Fromm.

Back
Top Bottom