Would Dolphins Pass Up On This Florida State Safety Some See As The Next Sean Taylor? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Dolphins Pass Up On This Florida State Safety Some See As The Next Sean Taylor?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah ranks him as the draft’s eighth-best player, regardless of position.
“James is a versatile talent with exceptional size, speed and physicality,” Jeremiah wrote. “He lined up all over the field for the Seminoles. He took snaps at both safety spots, nickel cornerback, sub-package linebacker and was asked to rush from the outside linebacker position on occasion during his collegiate career. In my opinion, he’s more valuable when he plays closer to the line of scrimmage.”

Measurables
Height: 6-foot-1 3/4 (77th percentile among safeties).

Weight: 215 pounds (78th percentile).

Wingspan: 78 5/8 inches (83rd percentile).

Arm length: 33 inches (89th percentile).

Hands: 9 1/2 inches (61st percentile).

40 time: 4.47 seconds (82nd percentile).

Vertical jump: 40 inches (91st percentile).

Broad jump: 132 inches (96th percentile).

Bench press: 21 reps (82nd percentile).

Comparisons (per MockDraftable.com): Eric Berry (Tennessee, 2010), Rayshawn Jenkins (Miami, 2017), T.J. McDonald (USC, 2013).

He said it
“They moved me around a lot. I could do it all. I could play deep, I could cover No. 2 (receiver), I can play the tight end, I could play in the box, I can blitz, whatever you need.” — Derwin James

They said it
“Possesses the desired physical traits and mental makeup of an All-Pro safety who has the ability to not only set a tone but change the course of games. Although James is extremely athletic and talented, he still has room for improvement as a run defender and in coverage. James’ talent is best utilized in an active, attacking capacity in a robber role or near the line of scrimmage where he can support the run, blitz and handle physical coverage responsibilities.” — Lance Zierlein, NFL.com
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article208140784.html

Would absolutely love to get James. I think SF takes him, but they could also be trading partners with a team wanting a quarterback.

Would absolutely love to get James. I think SF takes him, but they could also be trading partners with a team wanting a quarterback.
You could be right, but I see him dropping to us at 11. Might be a little high to take him, but I think he would be impactful starting right out of the gate.

You could be right, but I see him dropping to us at 11. Might be a little high to take him, but I think he would be impactful starting right out of the gate.
Also sounds like he might have the type of take charge personality the team is looking for.

Back
Top Bottom