Would it make any sense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would it make any sense?

betadog

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Judging from last years performances on the OL would it actually make sense to look at a guy like a Nate Solder in the first or even Pouncy? If they could in fact trade down than they could grab Joseph Barksdale in the second. Basically my thought process is to place either Solder or Barksdale in the RT spot and shift Carey back to Guard. Draft Pouncy and he can play center. Either way placing big massive bodies on the OL that are not piecemeal would be great to build from. I've seen posts about not grabbing Ingram at 15 and that makes sense and the qb selections this year are really not that overwhelming. Just an idea to fill the time between now and april...

betadog - I like your thinking. I'd like to see a trade down where they grab Stefen Wisniewski from PSU in the first - since he is the top-rated center. Then grab someone like Danny Watkins out of Baylor in the second - he is regarded as one of the better pulling guard prospects in this draft. O-line problems solved. This assumes no free agency prior to the draft, of course. Signing of any free agents would alter this strategy.

Then we can focus on the QB of choice in the third (assuming the one they like is still available). A running back, speed receiver and tightend can be grabbed in the later rounds.

I think one thing that contributed to the poor o-line play was the predictability of our play calling (thanks Henning). There was more than one occasion this year when an opposing defender stated after the game that they knew what play we were running based on how we lined up offensively. It's tough to have success blocking when the defense knows what is coming.

betadog - I like your thinking. I'd like to see a trade down where they grab Stefen Wisniewski from PSU in the first - since he is the top-rated center. Then grab someone like Danny Watkins out of Baylor in the second - he is regarded as one of the better pulling guard prospects in this draft. O-line problems solved. This assumes no free agency prior to the draft, of course. Signing of any free agents would alter this strategy.

Then we can focus on the QB of choice in the third (assuming the one they like is still available). A running back, speed receiver and tightend can be grabbed in the later rounds.

I think one thing that contributed to the poor o-line play was the predictability of our play calling (thanks Henning). There was more than one occasion this year when an opposing defender stated after the game that they knew what play we were running based on how we lined up offensively. It's tough to have success blocking when the defense knows what is coming.
Well said. I'd love Wisniewski. He'd be a great building block, smart, able to make line calls, moves well, position type blocker, great bloodlines. Not sure if this front office would view him as physical enough. Don't really know enough about Watkins, but love the idea of fixing the line and then going from there. Agree on Henning as well. There were games when Ronnie Brown was running well and then ended up with less than 15 carries, sometimes less than 10. That never should have happened. A lot of people are on Ronnie, but he needed to be averaging closer to 20 carries a game. That was pathetic.

Judging from last years performances on the OL would it actually make sense to look at a guy like a Nate Solder in the first or even Pouncy? If they could in fact trade down than they could grab Joseph Barksdale in the second. Basically my thought process is to place either Solder or Barksdale in the RT spot and shift Carey back to Guard. Draft Pouncy and he can play center. Either way placing big massive bodies on the OL that are not piecemeal would be great to build from. I've seen posts about not grabbing Ingram at 15 and that makes sense and the qb selections this year are really not that overwhelming. Just an idea to fill the time between now and april...
Nate Solder is interesting, but I think this front office would look more toward Gabe Carimi who is the more physical player in the run game. You are right on target with your thinking. To me, unless Cam Newton is there at 15 an offensive lineman makes sense. This was a huge weak spot.

Do your really think that Nate Solder is going to make us a SB contender over Carey?

Do your really think that Nate Solder is going to make us a SB contender over Carey?

Perhaps I didn't write it up clearly enough. I was thinking that Carey is an excellent player but shifting him to RG wouldn't be the worst option and getting another young powerful tackle in there. It would only help and just a thought.

I like the ideas on Stefen Wisniewski as well...

yes it would - what i would do - if we're giving up on the idea of drafting a QB in the 1st that is.

If we don't like the QB's in this class, draft D. Sherrod. Package Jake Long with a 1st to get Luck or Barkley next year.

I'd rather just draft C. Newton, but I'm dead serious.

Back
Top Bottom