Would Patriots OL Joe Thuney be a free agent fit for Dolphins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Patriots OL Joe Thuney be a free agent fit for Dolphins?

Last year... yes.

This year... no.

For a couple of reasons...

1) Last year, we were trying to spend money as we had to meet the NFL minimum, and overpaying a Guard was a sensible course. It brought us serviceable (though overpaid) Flowers.

2) Then we drafted Kindley, a pure Guard, and Hunt, a probable Guard.

We missed our chance on Thuney.

I'm going to be in the minority, but I'd kick the tires. IMHO, we need to draft a RT, because Jesse Davis isn't the answer long term, and I don't really have faith that Robert Hunt is a blindside protector for a left-handed QB. But, our OL is obviously the one unit on our offense that definitely needs upgrading. I'd be open to adding a FA guard, more than adding a FA RT ... and not just because FARTs stink.

Brandon Scherff is a very good talent, but durability is an issue. Thuney is solid, but price would be the real question with him. Still, I'd like to know the price before I write it off.

Would be a power play to lock him up and focus entirely on skill positions via early part of the draft. Yes, he would cost a ton, but would help make our line competitive right out of the gate.

I would just draft the Oregon tackle to finish the bookend, kick Hunt inside to guard and let this young line learn together. I would also draft a center like the one from Oklahoma, or the one from that small school in Wisconsin that was kicking butt at the Senior Bowl, then let the best 5 go hunting. Please, no overpriced free agents.

No? WTF is wrong with you people? Of course he is worth it. He would instantly improve this oline.

I hope we don't abandon improving the oline just because it got better last year. This oline is decent but has shown that it is injury prone. We need better starters and depth. Signing Thuney would help with both.

Can you imagine if we signed Thuney and drafted Sewell? This oline could become dominant.

No? WTF is wrong with you people? Of course he is worth it. He would instantly improve this oline.

I hope we don't abandon improving the oline just because it got better last year. This oline is decent but has shown that it is injury prone. We need better starters and depth. Signing Thuney would help with both.

Can you imagine if we signed Thuney and drafted Sewell? This oline could become dominant.
WTF is wrong with us... well, we understand that there is a salary cap, and for every signing, there are lost opportunities elsewhere, and we understand that we have three Guards on the team already and that it might... might just be a wise idea to put our limited resources into other areas.

Just a thought.

I would just draft the Oregon tackle to finish the bookend, kick Hunt inside to guard and let this young line learn together. I would also draft a center like the one from Oklahoma, or the one from that small school in Wisconsin that was kicking butt at the Senior Bowl, then let the best 5 go hunting. Please, no overpriced free agents.
No rookie is a sure thing. I like the idea of getting him, and concentrate draft on skill pos and defense.

Last year was the year for Thuney...now, I don't know.

Like stated before, keep an eye out for FA Corey Linsley center for the Packers. One or the best in the NFL bringing experience and wisdom for all the rookies to absorb (another huge bonus).
Will be somewhat costly but centers get less then tackles and Sewell can fill that spot , estimate 10 mil to get away from the Packers who Im sure want him BADLY but hopefully we could lure him away.

That would be the best and most outrageous move this team could make in free agency IMO....
also: think if we were serious dealing with the Pats. it would be for Andrews IF Linsley couldn't be signed.

Damn add Sewell and Linsley and we have a OL like we haven't experience in many of your life times. Even our present WR & RB core could add on a couple more hundred yds to their season...

I'm not sure we could afford bringing him in, along with also trying to resign the guys we already have on the roster. If the FO can work magic to bring him in for a reasonable cost then great but doubt that's happening $15mill per would put a big dent in our cap situation.

Back
Top Bottom