Would The Dolphins Move Up To #2 For Baker Mayfield? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would The Dolphins Move Up To #2 For Baker Mayfield?

Only if we had to. Like T-hill is broke otherwise No thanks.

Just like the "Josh Allen to Cleveland at 1" smokescreen, I think this is another. I think the Dolphins are in the 3rd or 4th round market for a QB. I would not be surprised to see them use their two 4ths to trade back up to the top of 4 or higher.

I'd prefer to draft a blue chip defensive guy and then Mike White or Lauletta in Round 2 than give up the farm to move up to #2 for a QB. If we didn't already have Tannehill, I'd consider it, but Tannehill still has potential to be a QB that helps the Dolphins win playoff games.

Unlikely...

It pains me greatly that I cannot bring myself to say "impossible".

A source he "trusts" who is "very well-connected" and "very often right" told MMQB's Peter King the Browns won't take Wyoming QB Josh Allen with the No. 1 overall pick.

It should be a breath of fresh air for Cleveland fans; analytically, Allen barely belongs in the first round let alone in conversation for the No. 1 pick. King published a mock draft in his MMQB article, and sent USC QB Sam Darnold to the Browns at No. 1. We agree and also expect Cleveland to take

no way to trade up to #2 as we shouldn't anyway. I like Mayfield but not enough to give up our whole freaking draft for him at this point

I'd prefer to draft a blue chip defensive guy and then Mike White or Lauletta in Round 2 than give up the farm to move up to #2 for a QB. If we didn't already have Tannehill, I'd consider it, but Tannehill still has potential to be a QB that helps the Dolphins win playoff games.

Personally, if Gase believes that Mayfield is going to be another Drew Brees, I think you do it, let Mayfield sit this season and learn, and then trade Tannehill next year and recoup some of those picks you send to jump to 2.

Tannehill has the potential to win playoffs games, yes. But a true franchise QB is better than that and can change the fortunes of this franchise for the next 2 decades.

No. We're going to stay at 11 and draft a linebacker or safety so we can say we "filled a hole" on a team that's going nowhere fast. Lol

We're not trying to take risk and raise the ceiling of the team.

I personally think the supposed Mayfield love affair is a smoke screen. No way in hell does Miami move to 2 to get him.

FWIW I don’t see Mayfield as a high performing pro QB. I predict another Big 12 QB fail at next level. Let’s get an impact starter right now at 11 and 43. Hopefully Defense and then TE.

Repost here from another thread:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/22/will-bills-or-dolphins-jump-jets-for-mayfield/

It looks out of reach....A guy in the comment field of PFT article posted this....I didn't look up all the values to see if everything is correct but it looks legit:

"It would cost them a ton of picks to move up. How come none of these writers do the research and see what it would take to move up that many spots. Here you go:
Using the “draft value” chart that every GM uses as a reference:
2nd pick = 2,600
3rd pick = 2,200

Jets traded 6 (1,600), 37th (530), 49th (410) and 2019 2nd (500?) = approx 3,000. That’s 800 more than equal fair value.

Bills have 12(1200), 22 (780), 53 (370), 56 (340), 65 (265), 96 (116), 121 (52), 158 (28.2), 166 (25) = 3196. They would need come up with around 3400 points by packaging both this years firsts, both seconds, both thirds and throw in next years 1st (approx. 800?) to get there. Basically mortgaging the farm! It would be a huge risk.

Phins have 11(1250), 42(480), 73(225), 123 (49), 131(41). That’s 2,045 for 1st thru 4th rounders. Count them out unless they plan to give up all of next years top 2 picks as well."

No. Once Mayfield gets paid, he will become a ****y jerk and cause all sorts of off the field issues. I watched highlights yesterday of all the QBs and Josh Allen actually does seem like an NFL QB, and future all-pro. If he is there at even 8, I would trade for him. On the other hand, I watched Barkley highlights too and WOW....probably the best player in the draft hands down.

After seeing this former NFL scout's short take on Darnold as a "cow on ice" on a local website, I researched him further and here is the full article with his take on all the QBs:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/one-draft-qb-spared-in-scouts-scathing-draft-take-cow-on-ice/

Brief bio of this Shonka guy:

Dan Shonka, has been involved in player personnel work for over 4 decades. He is one of, if not the only, NFL Draft Analyst to have played the game, coached the game, recruited high school players on the major college level, and scouted professionally. Shonka scouted for National Football Scouting, the Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL for a combined 16 years. Scouting is not a hobby. He has built his home and raised his family on his experience as a player personnel evaluator and he remains a team consultant.

Back
Top Bottom