Would there have been a better way of handling this? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would there have been a better way of handling this?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Now I know the media doesn't always print the whole story and may only include part truths but supposing the article in the Herald is true about how Spielman was treated past couple weeks by Saban (giving him the silent treatment), don't you think that's a bit unprofessional on Saban's part? I mean, I have no problem w/ Saban getting rid of Spielman because he wanted someone he felt more comfortable with but assuming this article is true, couldn't he just have been straight with him? He could have waited until after the draft and then told Spielman something like "look, this isn't going to work. Thanks for everything but I'm looking to bring in my own personnel man here" and that would have been the right thing to do. Those that look at Saban as God please view this post as if the article was true. There may be more to this story but I'm just looking at what I've read so far.

phinfan2003 said:
Now I know the media doesn't always print the whole story and may only include part truths but supposing the article in the Herald is true about how Spielman was treated past couple weeks by Saban (giving him the silent treatment), don't you think that's a bit unprofessional on Saban's part? I mean, I have no problem w/ Saban getting rid of Spielman because he wanted someone he felt more comfortable with but assuming this article is true, couldn't he just have been straight with him? He could have waited until after the draft and then told Spielman something like "look, this isn't going to work. Thanks for everything but I'm looking to bring in my own personnel man here" and that would have been the right thing to do. Those that look at Saban as God please view this post as if the article was true. There may be more to this story but I'm just looking at what I've read so far.

I agree that, if the printed story is true, Saban could have handled the situation better but, as we are all aware, the press is famous for being selective in their reporting to get maximum effect. I don't see Saban as being so immature or unprofessional to have not be straight up with Spielman so I do believe that there is an untold side to this story.

• I have a hard time thinking the SOFL media don't have their own agenda in regards to Saban. They are in business to sell papers.
  • There is so much that goes on "off the record" that it borders on the bazaar.
  • Saban seems to be very proffessional and detailed in his approach to everything. RS saw the writing on the wall, probably cut a deal with WH and he walked.... good bye.
  • FA was done, the draft was done, June 1 cuts are to be evaluated and RS's services were no longer needed... period.
  • There are now no ties to the past other than players and with a roster turn approaching 30% this year I am sure some vets can see the writing on the wall as well. The business of the NFL... period.

Celtkin said:
I agree that, if the printed story is true, Saban could have handled the situation better but, as we are all aware, the press is famous for being selective in their reporting to get maximum effect. I don't see Saban as being so immature or unprofessional to have not be straight up with Spielman so I do believe that there is an untold side to this story.

I agree.We dont know the whole story.The press will not be kind to Saban so one must read between the lines.

It seems to me that Speilman often spoke out of turn and I wouldnt be surprised if Saban was annoyed by some leak Rick may have been responsible for.

CrunchTime said:
I agree.We dont know the whole story.The press will not be kind to Saban so one must read between the lines.

It seems to me that Speilman often spoke out of turn and I wouldnt be surprised if Saban was annoyed by some leak Rick may have been responsible for.

and in turn, responsible for the silent treatment...?

thedayafter said:
  • I have a hard time thinking the SOFL media don't have their own agenda in regards to Saban. They are in business to sell papers.
  • There is so much that goes on "off the record" that it borders on the bazaar.
  • Saban seems to be very proffessional and detailed in his approach to everything. RS saw the writing on the wall, probably cut a deal with WH and he walked.... good bye.
  • FA was done, the draft was done, June 1 cuts are to be evaluated and RS's services were no longer needed... period.
  • There are now no ties to the past other than players and with a roster turn approaching 30% this year I am sure some vets can see the writing on the wall as well. The business of the NFL... period.

Dude, I wasn't refuting that getting rid of Spielman wasn't the right thing to do. Even though I thought he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be, it goes without saying that any new coach will bring in his own people. People he is comfortable with. I was questioning the manner in which it was done (if the herald story is fact which we know that that may be a big if).

phinfan2003 said:
(if the herald story is fact which we know that that may be a big if).

I think that's the real question. Saban has made few friends in the media, so it's hard to trust the objectivity in the story.

BenchFiedler said:
Is it possible that Saban could be a dictator also?

dictator: (Noun) What you get when you cross a ***** and a potato.

I looked it up in the dictionary. I don't think he's a dictator.

There could be a couple things at work here.

1. Saban is new at this NFL coach thing, maybe he just screwed up, its bound to happen a couple times.

2. The Florida media is painting Saban in a negative light because he dosen't give them the access they are used too

3. Saban told Speilman he was going to get rid of him, and perhaps Speilman had worked this out long ago that he would resign after June 1

Who realy cares anyway? So what if Saban is a jerk. If he is then he is a very successful jerk. He won't be the first coach in the NFL to be one.

#13FinsFan said:
Who realy cares anyway? So what if Saban is a jerk. If he is then he is a very successful jerk. He won't be the first coach in the NFL to be one.

Most successful coaches that are considered jerks, tend to be considered jerks because they are in your face, up front people that can separate business from friendship. Not because they give players/others the silent treatment.

Saban made no secret of his desire to improve upon his GM personnel. He stated openly that he intended to keep Spielman around in large part to figure out what the guy knows. I view Saban as a chess master in this situation. He was biding his time to come to terms with what Saban knows - that inside information about the organization and the players that could be helpful for Saban to know, and that information that would be detrimental to the team if Spielman opens his mouth about our situation to others around the league. Saban measured keeping Spielman and the counterforce was preventing Spielman from learning too much about Saban's inner world.

I can imagine Saban being ruthless. This quality in and of itself is not a bad one especially in football (or war as General Saban likes to put it). I can also see that it is one of those qualities that can quite easily be placed in the wrong set of circumstances. I can believe that this is part of the story in Spielman being fired.

This in no way diminishes my opinion of Saban. I want a GREAT WHITE SHARK at the helm. And unfortunately some people may be collateral damage in the process of our getting our next ring or two or three. I do not want a coach that behaves this way exclusively, but as I see him it is one way that he can be, he can also be generous and a meaningful, helpful person to the people he comes in contact with.

He rewards the positive and extinguishes the negative. A predator - A shark!

Saban decided RW was gone, after seeing AJ practice! LOL

Back
Top Bottom