Would Waddle have won the Heisman is Smith was injuried instead of him. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would Waddle have won the Heisman is Smith was injuried instead of him.

How many times did Ruggs line up in the backfield like Waddle did and take hand offs...one of your answers is there.
How many screen passes did Ruggs take to the house? Waddle did a lot.
How many reverses did Ruggs take to the house? Waddle did...
How many slants over the middle in front of the MLB did Ruggs score on.
Waddle can take the top off better than Ruggs.
Plus,when Waddle gets the ball in his hands...he's basically a super fast Barry Sanders.
I LOVE all my Bama boys..but Waddle is a WEAPON.

I agree, Waddle and Ruggs are completely different players, both in how they run routes and the RAC. I like Waddle much more. The stats though? Not a lot different. Waddle with more catches/yards, Ruggs with more scrimmage TDs.

That said:
- Waddle took 2 screen passes for TDs. Nice plays but I wouldn't refer to 2 as a lot.
- I'm not sure what reverses you speak of. He has 4 career carries for 17 yards and no TDs.
- All of slants Waddle scored on (i counted 2) were behind the inside backer and in front of the safeties. The only TD in front of the LBs was a short crossing route against Georgia in 2018.
- Taking the top of is what Waddle did most. His double moves are ridiculous and DBs can't stay with him on corners/posts and go routes.

I get the argument you were going for but your data was off.

I agree that Jones who have probably won the Award. Smith deserved it but if Waddle had not been injured, both Waddle and Smith would both have gone over 1000 years receiving and they would have split Heisman votes and Jones would likely have won the award .

Thank you for making me look foolish...lol
Just kidding..
When all four receivers were together at BAMA...all their talents were synergy at it’s finest.

I'm trying to sell my self to the Waddle pick. I was pretty sure that after Pitt's was taking by the falcons that Waddle was the pick ever said soo during the draft after the Pitt's pick. I would have taken Sewell or Smith. Now I trying to sell myself to Waddle. And No i don't think he was a bad pick just would have taken the other two ahead of him. But back to the ? Would Waddle have won the Heisman if Smith would have went down instead of him?
Here's the stats for both when Waddle Went down. Would have made this a pole But I'm near the bottom of my wild turkey bottle and couldn't figure out how.

D. Smith rec-38 yards-483 TD's-4

J. Waddle rec-25 Yards-557 TD's-4
No...I think Jones would have gone higher though. Bama's offense would have been insane-er.

In what way do the play nothing alike? Did they both not play at Alabama in similar roles? In the slot and out? Enlighten me?

Are they both not very fast receivers with the ability to take it for a touchdown due to their speed? Are they both not great kick returners? Please tell me how they are nothing alike. I will be waiting. Since these 2 have absolutely no similarity to their games apparently.

Are they both not known more for their athletic prowess than their receiving ability too? I think you are right bro... these 2 should never be mentioned in the same sentence again since they are so different.
Ruggs had zero return TDs at Bama. Waddle had 3.

Waddle and Ruggs share the elite speed dynamic. Waddle has shown more dimensions to his game as a WR than Ruggs has

I'm trying to sell my self to the Waddle pick. I was pretty sure that after Pitt's was taking by the falcons that Waddle was the pick ever said soo during the draft after the Pitt's pick. I would have taken Sewell or Smith. Now I trying to sell myself to Waddle. And No i don't think he was a bad pick just would have taken the other two ahead of him. But back to the ? Would Waddle have won the Heisman if Smith would have went down instead of him?
Here's the stats for both when Waddle Went down. Would have made this a pole But I'm near the bottom of my wild turkey bottle and couldn't figure out how.

D. Smith rec-38 yards-483 TD's-4

J. Waddle rec-25 Yards-557 TD's-4
Possibly...who knows? Heisman Trophy’s are hardly an indicator of a better pick based on history.

The thing that was obvious was Waddle was the more explosive player and better fit Miami’s offense than a 166 pound slight receiver.

Ruggs had zero return TDs at Bama. Waddle had 3.

Waddle and Ruggs share the elite speed dynamic. Waddle has shown more dimensions to his game as a WR than Ruggs has

Great reply to exemplify why Waddle might be higher caliber of player. That being said they are still the same type of player. If Waddle produces like Tyreek Hill the pick will be incredible, if he goes for under 600 yards and less than 2 YD per season then he will be a bust.

If he gets injured for most of the season... Bust... Until he can produce.

Well I'll throw out this faulty as hell projection.

Devonta Smith during his Heisman 2020 season had 117 receptions for 1856 yards and 23 TDs on 148 targets.

Jaylen Waddle had 28 receptions for 591 yards and 4 TDs on 32 targets (!!!).

If Waddle got the same number of targets Smith did, then of course (!!!) you could assume Waddle's stats would have been extrapolated to:

130 receptions for 2737 yards and 19 TDs on those 148 targets. Sounds like a Heisman season to me.

NOTE: college season record for receptions in a single season is Trevor Insley Nevada in 1999 with 2060
That's umm, not how it works.

I am okay with the Waddle pick, as he has return capability and speed. However I still wanted Smith, this kid is going to be special (not saying Waddle isn't). I have never seen a receiver in college dominate like he did against OSU in a National Championship game. They could not do anything to stop him at all. That kid is going to be elite.

Really can't add more to the hypothetical Heisman trophy alternative universe question.

For me it is still about who Tua would sync with the most. Who helps him elevate his game to the next level. I'm sure the FO discussed this with Tua and I'm sure they had his input. If Waddle has less impressive stats than Smith but Tua does take that next step and our offense is well rounded I would care less about what Smith does.

Yea So we F'd up passing on D. Smith. Cause he done something Waddle couldn't have done.
Yeah... it’s a lot like that time in 2004 the Chargers, Giants, and Steelers F’d up by taking Manning, Rivers, and Roethisberger instead of that years Heisman winning QB, Jason White

They are both very fast. That is something alike. Your universal statement is therefore wrong. Good luck next time. Maybe you should have explained why.

Let me guess he is more like Tyreek Hill?
While they are both very fast that also have different types of speed. Ruggs has more top end speed while Waddle is much faster at the start. Just watch the video of the two of them race. Waddle had a good lead at the 10 yard split and even 20 yard split Ruggs catches up in the second half if the 40. Waddle is much quicker on start and go and has more agility. Watch the film on them Waddle operates a lot more iver the middle. Ruggs is actually at his best on the outside using his speed to get over the top. Another big difference is Waddle plays with a lot more physical edge. I kniw oeople hate the Hill comparison but that is a good one because Waddle operates in the middle of the field being physical and fast like Hill. Waddle may not be as good as Hill on the outside as Hill may have a little more top end speed and catches a little better away from his body.

For Mia Waddle is a far better fit ( as I see them running some of those NE concepts on O). To me Ruggs would be what we brought in Fuller to be, an undersized outside deep threat. When you watch Ruggs at Bama most his big plays are when he lines up outside. I think Mia envisions Waddle as being their Welker/Edelman and Waddle has more speed then those guys but needs to keep working on routes and better catching off his body. But if you go and look at Waddles film from his Freshman season you see how good he is at working the middle if the field (locksley worked the middle more then Sark as O coordinator). People forget Waddle came in as a true freshman with a loaded WR unit and I. Smith as a TE who went in the 2nd round and put up 45 REC, 848 yards and 7 tds. Sark took over for Waddles soph season and outside WRs where used more (Smith really burst onto the scene as well). This year under Sark Waddle was also tearing it up and was lining up more on the outside. To me though in Mia Waddle lining up inside as a true slot guy is were he is dynamic. Ruggs to me is not a great true slot guy he lacks the wiggle/ quickness and doesn't play with a physical edge.

Waddle has more pure talent than Devonta. I'll leave it at that.

And don't get me wrong, Devonta has A LOT. Jaylen is just ticked a little higher.

Really can't add more to the hypothetical Heisman trophy alternative universe question.

For me it is still about who Tua would sync with the most. Who helps him elevate his game to the next level. I'm sure the FO discussed this with Tua and I'm sure they had his input. If Waddle has less impressive stats than Smith but Tua does take that next step and our offense is well rounded I would care less about what Smith does.
This was asked in a presser and coach Flo said they didn't ask Tua.

Back
Top Bottom