Would you be mad if we punted the QB pick into next year? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be mad if we punted the QB pick into next year?

Would you be mad if we punted the QB pick into next year?

• Total voters
The poll is, are you ok with punting qb in next years draft. That means not drafting one. 52 % voted they are fine with that.
I am not. I never said draft a qb for the sake. I don't want to reach. My ideal draft is young, Herbert, Humphreys.
Now if that's not your taste, I'm okay with that. But by all means we need to draft a qb.

Back on page two, this was my response:

"I voted 'no', even though I think the best bet would be to take one somewhere in the 2nd to 4th round range.
I voted this way because of my belief than many (if not most) here would see that as punting the decision.
I don't , but I'm a believer in the three year plan for a young QB."

A more nuanced view, and one that I believe MOST of the 52% share.
We are just so sick of meat-heads yelling "draft Tua or I'm gonna throw a tantrum because you are all stupid-heads!"

Congratulations... I didn't think you could do it.

Now, let's expand on that.

Now that we've shown that most expansion teams do not take a QB early, we can look at what they actually do.

Tampa drafted, DE, RB, LB, T, LB (all in first 3 rounds) Defense and running game.
Seattle: DT, LB, RB, WR, DE Mostly defense.
Jax: OT, RB, G, LB, DB Running game and defense.
Texans: Carr, WR, T, G, DT The only team that tried to build a passing offense (they failed).

Expansion teams generally try to build a defense and a running game first. Smart GMs know they are going to be bad, so they try to slow the games down while they build. Refrain from getting into a fast-paced game where they'll get blown out.

If the 'Phins are truly as bad as an expansion team, it's clear what a defensive minded head-coach is going to do... and I just don't think it is QB.
I'm willing to be wrong, but I look at Flores and his harsh culture... and I don't see a loosy goosy QB in his future.
Ok I'll play a little more.
In 1995 Jacksonville selected Steve beurlein with thier 1st selection in the expansion draft. Number 1 overall.
Jacksonville followed that up trading thier 3rd and 5th to green bay for Mark brunell.

Exactly.

Here's the real question in that scenario. Would you want to package our 2nd and 3rd picks to move up to get Herbert?
I honestly don't watch enough college football to have a justified weigh in on Herbert at this point. In theory, if you think he can be the guy, I don't have an issue with a reasonable package to move up and get him with our second pick. I don't want to pull a Skins "Give up the House and Kitchen Sink for RG3".

Honestly I would not be upset if they pick him in Top 5...as long as they think he can be The Guy...but not because we need a QB...

It's a fair question. It would be disappointing to come out of this season without the quarterback of the future.

I think Miami has to come out of this draft with a quarterback. Take a chance on Tua, depending on his rehab or swing for the fences with Love.

Don't necessarily have to spend that top #1, but have to get competition at the position.

We going take qb in this up coming draft. Got at leased try. If not it alway next yr. At leased they know we need qb. Not like past yr.

I wouldn't be mad. Disappointed, most likely.

However, I only see one with elite level talent and he is dealing with a hip injury. If he is available when Miami picks I still think he is the guy as long as prognosis is good.

I think Burrow is worth the pick, but not on board with packaging picks to get him.

If Fromm or Herbert are on the board during their 1st round picks I hope they pass.

I'm okay with Miami taking a QB in the 3rd or 4th like Hurts, Love, Eason, etc.. If they believe he has potential. If none are available, so be it.

But, I would be extremely disappointed if Miami replays the Tannehill disaster by overdrafting a developmental QB, handing him there keys to the franchise and not bringing in competition.

I didn't vote because it's contextual.

With Burrow likely out of reach, Herbert and Eason looking awkward, Tua injured and Fromm struggling putting points up on the board, plus the ball security issues, Love struggling wo a supporting cast and Hurts not being the type of QB the FO looks for...

Would you be mad if we punted say, the Texans' 1st into a 1st and 2nd next year and tried to pick a QB again next year?

Yes, that would mean another year of Fitz and Rosen.

Personally, I'd rather keep gaining momentum collecting as many picks as possible and hit some sort of critical mass where no QB can scape us, lol!

4 1sts and 4 2nds would be possible or even more! Lol!

I'm not voting. There has to be a middle ground - "Undecided," "depends on who's available," something besides yes or no.
I don't want to take a projected low R1 QB just because he's available and trading down isn't always going to work. It also depends on who else is available at any pick. Waiting a year isn't make or break. OTOH, I DO think Miami will get a lower R1 pick, so the chance at the 'can't miss' guy will be gone, so the choices will be limited.

I'm inclined 'get
Back on page two, this was my response:

"I voted 'no', even though I think the best bet would be to take one somewhere in the 2nd to 4th round range.
I voted this way because of my belief than many (if not most) here would see that as punting the decision.
I don't , but I'm a believer in the three year plan for a young QB."

A more nuanced view, and one that I believe MOST of the 52% share.
We are just so sick of meat-heads yelling "draft Tua or I'm gonna throw a tantrum because you are all stupid-heads!"

I'll give a qualified agreement. The problem isn't just Tua. It's 'Miami needs an 'elite' QB.' They do. every team does. But some make it sound easy. Secondly, those who want an elite QB 'know' who that guy is. Last year it was Mayfield. This year it was Murray. Unfortunately, right or wrong, we, as fans, are ignored. The FO, scouts, coaching staff get together, determine the top athletes, plug in their estimation of who fits the system, and sets the board. Then, the guy has to be available somehow. And he has to be ranked above all other options/needs on the board. No one here will know those answers. I have no problem with having opinions. But "mad?" Far too strong

Ok I'll play a little more.
In 1995 Jacksonville selected Steve beurlein with thier 1st selection in the expansion draft. Number 1 overall.
Jacksonville followed that up trading thier 3rd and 5th to green bay for Mark brunell.

Expansion draft... meaning that these guys were unwanted and unprotected by their original teams...

i.e. journeymen.

miamis already one year into this rebuild. So the qb being the first thing isn’t really the case.

way I see it it’s gonna be year 2 come this coming draft and free agency

Except that year 1 only really only brought us Christian Wilkins.

Considering we spent the beginning of the season still tearing it down, I don't think 2019 qualifies as being part of the build yet.

I am not advocating passing on a QB who's worth the pick. God knows I was pimping Joe Burrow before he ascended to the No.1 spot.

I'm strongly advocating not taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB.

I can live with not making the playoffs in 2020, I expect it.

I can't live with 2 YPC. I can't live with a QB having no time to throw a pass. I can't live with zero pass rush on defense.

I can live with incompletions.

I can't live with DB's not named Xavien.

I can't live with multiple opponents rushing for 200+ yards.

Last edited:
I'm not voting. There has to be a middle ground - "Undecided," "depends on who's available," something besides yes or no.
I don't want to take a projected low R1 QB just because he's available and trading down isn't always going to work. It also depends on who else is available at any pick. Waiting a year isn't make or break. OTOH, I DO think Miami will get a lower R1 pick, so the chance at the 'can't miss' guy will be gone, so the choices will be limited.

I'm inclined 'get

I'll give a qualified agreement. The problem isn't just Tua. It's 'Miami needs an 'elite' QB.' They do. every team does. But some make it sound easy. Secondly, those who want an elite QB 'know' who that guy is. Last year it was Mayfield. This year it was Murray. Unfortunately, right or wrong, we, as fans, are ignored. The FO, scouts, coaching staff get together, determine the top athletes, plug in their estimation of who fits the system, and sets the board. Then, the guy has to be available somehow. And he has to be ranked above all other options/needs on the board. No one here will know those answers. I have no problem with having opinions. But "mad?" Far too strong

The "they know" is the key. I've mentioned this several times in the past. Most of these guys want a specific player... are CONVINCED that this ONE player has the keys to heaven in his pocket.... and then they proceed to make arguments that muddy up that belief.

They say, "you have to get an elite QB", when what they really mean is "Tua or nothing". It is a very insincere way to debate. There is no honesty or integrity in that.

Except that year 1 only really only brought us Christian Wilkins.

Considering we spent the beginning of the season still tearing it down, I don't think 2019 qualifies as being part of the build yet.
Actually it does. This year is and was the major part of the rebuild. It is and was all about laying the foundation.

Keller Chryst could be the next Tom Brady. Nobody really knows until they get into a camp and either light it up or fade away. Rosen seemed like the most NFL ready guy in the whole raft and maybe with an entire camp in one system working with the starters HE is the next Tom Brady. It’s a lightening strike. Just draft best player available and build with guys who execute at every level, can pay attention and rise to the occasion.

Actually it does. This year is and was the major part of the rebuild. It is and was all about laying the foundation.

Maybe, but not with a talent influx.

The rebuilding process really only commenced after Minkah was traded. At that point the tearing down officially ended.

Back
Top Bottom