Would you be mad if we punted the QB pick into next year? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you be mad if we punted the QB pick into next year?

Would you be mad if we punted the QB pick into next year?

• Total voters
I would take chance on herbert, love, from or Easton in 2nd or 3rd round of draft. One off them might pan out. You never know. If they still on board.

The "they know" is the key. I've mentioned this several times in the past. Most of these guys want a specific player... are CONVINCED that this ONE player has the keys to heaven in his pocket.... and then they proceed to make arguments that muddy up that belief.

They say, "you have to get an elite QB", when what they really mean is "Tua or nothing". It is a very insincere way to debate. There is no honesty or integrity in that.

Fantastic points.

I decided to vote no. I realize that trading up for the #1 overall pick in 2021 is virtually out of the question, because I don't think any team in their right mind, needing a QB will trade that pick. But the QB class in 2021, could potentially be much better than what's available in 2020.

Maybe, but not with a talent influx.

The rebuilding process really only commenced after Minkah was traded. At that point the tearing down officially ended.
Every team requires talent on the 2nd and 3rd tier. Suport players. Role players. Players who are mostly playing in the shadow of your top players. Every NFL roster is compromised of 2/3 to 3/4 of these players. We haven't dumped any great players. Last offseason we have dumped role players and situational players who did not live up to their contracts.
Minkah and Tunsil were not dumped. They were traded and in one case (unhappy Minkah) we got fair value back and in the other case (Tunsil) we took Houston to the cleaners.
The "talent" you see on the field this year is 2nd and 3rd tier talent which is rocketed into the spotlight because of lack of top talent. But that top talent will hopefully come this offseason. Foundation is build this year, then we add the walls and we finish up with a pretty roof (QB). Where that roof comes from we don't know yet. We may have it already in storage (Rosen?) or we may not. If we decide that the roof in storage is rotten we get ourselves a new one in 2021. It just does not make sense to get yourself a new roof for a house with no walls. You would just put that roof in storage as well (where you already might have a roof). Then you have two roofs in storage not knowing if either one would be a pretty roof or if both might be rotten since you can't evaluate a new roof without the proper walls. :cheers:

I think everyones knows were I stand on this... Something worth mentioning here is that its very unlikely that the Fins find themselves in the top 10 of the 2020 draft after all the assets they have this season, if they actually know what the hell they are doing... So if you want the best/2nd best QB from that draft, you can kiss all those extra picks goodbye, and thats if teams actually want to trade out of the possibility of drafting a decent prospect QB.

Personally, I'd like to define my offense first and get the right OC for that type of offense. I doubt Lamar Jackson would look as good if he was on several other teams. Kudos to the Ravens. Heck, Tannehill is looking much better with a change in offensive play calling.

I even think a teams offensive identity dictates, to a degree, what the defense should look like. Besides, it seems much harder to retain elite defensive talent.

So yes, I'd draft a QB this year. After all, if we are willing to wait a year why can't we wait a year for Tagovailoa to heal?

Plenty of other choices. Want a running QB? Maybe you draft Hurts. Want to load up on speedy big body WR's and throw the long ball? Maybe Herbert/Love/Eason. Want to play the precision short passing game? Maybe Fromm.

Mostly I want the team to decide what the offense is going to look like and go acquire the players that fit it. The right skill players on offense can be virtually unstoppable. Call me crazy but with guys like Tony Gonzalez, Randy Moss, and Walter Payton I'd settle for a "game manager QB" who doesn't hurt the team.

I think everyones knows were I stand on this... Something worth mentioning here is that its very unlikely that the Fins find themselves in the top 10 of the 2020 draft after all the assets they have this season, if they actually know what the hell they are doing... So if you want the best/2nd best QB from that draft, you can kiss all those extra picks goodbye, and thats if teams actually want to trade out of the possibility of drafting a decent prospect QB.
They don't have to be in the top 10. KC traded from 27 to 10 to get Mahomes.

Personally, I'd like to define my offense first and get the right OC for that type of offense. I doubt Lamar Jackson would look as good if he was on several other teams. Kudos to the Ravens. Heck, Tannehill is looking much better with a change in offensive play calling.

I even think a teams offensive identity dictates, to a degree, what the defense should look like. Besides, it seems much harder to retain elite defensive talent.

So yes, I'd draft a QB this year. After all, if we are willing to wait a year why can't we wait a year for Tagovailoa to heal?

Plenty of other choices. Want a running QB? Maybe you draft Hurts. Want to load up on speedy big body WR's and throw the long ball? Maybe Herbert/Love/Eason. Want to play the precision short passing game? Maybe Fromm.

Mostly I want the team to decide what the offense is going to look like and go acquire the players that fit it. The right skill players on offense can be virtually unstoppable. Call me crazy but with guys like Tony Gonzalez, Randy Moss, and Walter Payton I'd settle for a "game manager QB" who doesn't hurt the team.

I think your point about what kind of QB are you looking to draft is THE key to this entire argument.

Everyone has a pretty good idea of how the QB shakes out... which players will go in the first, which won't.

What we don't know at this point is what KIND of QB Flores wants to live or die behind.

My guess... (and it is ONLY a guess) is that since he came from New England and saw how that works, is that he wants a Brady. If I'm wrong, and if he wants a read-option guy or even a runner... then most of my guesswork will be garbage. Just dead wrong, because you'll need a different type of supporting cast.

My question is still... what kind of QB does he want?

They don't have to be in the top 10. KC traded from 27 to 10 to get Mahomes.
I didnt say it was impossible, I said you could kiss those extra picks goodbye if thats the case... It cost them a 1st and a 3rd for the move up... In this draft, the Fins are already in the top 5... there's no extra cost.

The other possibility is free agency or a trade. Worked well for New Orleans and possibly San Francisco as well.

Bridgewater is the best option in free agency. I'm not sure he's top 10 caliber, which is really what I feel Miami must shoot for. But he looked great taking over for Brees.

If the Dolphins went that route, the front office could go BPA in the draft with a concentration on improving both lines.

if Tua or Burrow go1st - Pick Young; if Young is gone - pick Tua; if Tua’s gone - pick #2 rated DE (Gross-Matos, Espenesa or Lewis); then take Dobbins... and (dont hate), take Justin Fields first pick Rd 2

I love to see how many on hear that want to draft a qb, other than burrow in the 1st wrote off Josh Allen. Why do we have to reach for a qb just to get one? Why can't Josh Rosen turn the corner? One thing I do know if we don't draft in the 1st Brian Flores didn't value one more than Rosen. And if that's the case I'll take 3 starting players in the 1st round and trust the man that see's Josh in practice everyday. Because just cause we don't set him in the games doesn't mean he's not getting better. But if we do draft a qb in the 1st I'll embrace that to, either way it will be quite telling of what the guy thinks of a qb he sees everyday in practice period.

Back
Top Bottom