Would You Be Upset If We Were Like Cleveland? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Be Upset If We Were Like Cleveland?

I would only be ok if we were like Cleveland if 1 of 2 things happened. 1. We were guaranteed to win a super bowl within 10 years or 2. we were guaranteed to draft a HOF talent at QB. Otherwise i rather go 8-8 over 0-16.

I live in the present not the past, especially when it comes to the dolphins in recent years. So since the past decade for this team has practically been a lost decade to me, would I take more losses over those worthless seasons to have a roster with more talent, younger talent, more draft picks, and more cap space today. Yes I would.

Of course it doesn't work like that. In the real world we will go out and win between 4 and 9 games a season for the majority of the next decade and then trade away draft picks while drafting busts with the ones we keep.

I wouldn’t want to go through what they’ve went through in the past but I really like what they’ve got going now. Dorsey will turn that franchise around quick.

Supposedly they now finally have a good GM so they won’t make the same mistakes.

Means dick until proven otherwise.
Ok but let's stop talking about the Browns office and more about the draft scenario they have. It is fricking fantastic and surely our organization couldn't screw it up.

Ok but let's stop talking about the Browns office and more about the draft scenario they have. It is fricking fantastic and surely our organization couldn't screw it up.

You seem to understand why their draft situation is as solid as it is right now. The question is, would you give a damn after winning 3.8 games a year in the last 10 years?

Would apathy not have set in at some point for you?

I wouldn’t want to go through what they’ve went through in the past but I really like what they’ve got going now. Dorsey will turn that franchise around quick.

everything "they've got going now" is predicated on hitting on the franchise QB.

if that fails (and it will, they'll take the wrong guy) they are stuck tyrod tayloring it. with:

no joe thomas (retired).

an overpaid landry (16 million) who is a free agent after this season.

an overpaid carlos hyde (3 year, $15,250,000, including a $3,500,000 signing bonus, $8,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,083,333).

honestly, i don't like any of their moves. of course it won't matter if they select Darnold or Rosen or Allen or Mayfield, and that QB becomes a franchise QB.

i will take my hat off to them.

but if they miss on the QB, all their (crappy) moves will be for naught.

Yes and no,
everything "they've got going now" is predicated on hitting on the franchise QB.

if that fails (and it will, they'll take the wrong guy) they are stuck tyrod tayloring it. with:

no joe thomas (retired).

an overpaid landry (16 million) who is a free agent after this season.

an overpaid carlos hyde (3 year, $15,250,000, including a $3,500,000 signing bonus, $8,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,083,333).

honestly, i don't like any of their moves. of course it won't matter if they select Darnold or Rosen or Allen or Mayfield, and that QB becomes a franchise QB.

i will take my hat off to them.
but if they miss on the QB, all their (crappy) moves will be for naught.

Tyrods not bad by any means really and Hyde I wouldn’t call overpaid, they also duke johnson who is or was underutilized. Mayfield the best of the bunch and no I don’t think they will draft him I think the jets do unfortunately. I wish we could draft him so they can’t. Their WR core will produce very well with Gordon Coleman and Landry. Yes Landry got to much but it’s a one year deal. They will probably grab chub or Nelson at 4. Losing joe changes their draft plans significantly. I find it difficult for even them to **** it up this year. Still I’d take their record over the past 3 seasons to be where they are in this years draft. **** they could trade out of 4 with buffalo or New England and get even more picks in the first.

You seem to understand why their draft situation is as solid as it is right now. The question is, would you give a damn after winning 3.8 games a year in the last 10 years?

Would apathy not have set in at some point for you?
10 years of it I would probably use my jersey as a grease rag. 3 years though to help my rebuild instead of being delusional and mediocre I could handle. I know that’s not how it works but dam they are set up nice.

The Browns could draft Saquan and Chubb and get their future quarterback later in Lauletta, Jackson or Falk. They have Tyrod for a year or two who could mentor a Lamar Jackson project. To me that’s a nice fit without having to redesign your entire offense later. The Browns don’t need a QB this year and are coming off a season without a win. They can really build the team and win now with Taylor and quality players who aren’t quarterbacks early. That would change the draft order a bit and give the Dolphins a better shot at trading down if Allen or one of the quarterbacks we don’t want is there. I would love the Cardinals spot and their second too.

Miami is really the only team going backwards by leaps and bounds. All the bottom feeding teams are trending up while average teams stay average. The Browns are, for once, headed in a positive direction. Miami still hasn't figured it out since Saban left.

Tyrod isn't any good (except, inexplicably, against us).

They are going exactly nowhere with him under center.

If they get a stud QB in the near future, good for them.

Otherwise, they will be mediocre at best (which would be a tremendous improvement for them).

over the last 2 decades we’re not much diff from them, other than 1-32... not consistently in division race; no playoff wins; poor drafting; horrible cap management; stupifying front office moves, and the inability to find a franchise player at the most important position on the roster: quarterback.

I wish we lost all of our games in 2011 and drafted Andrew Luck. We'd be sitting pretty right now. I'm sure he'll be able to throw a regulation ball very soon.

If Miami had spent a number one overall pick on Luck and at this point the team was still playing second fiddle to Brady and the Patriots and fighting for wildcard spots each year people would still be upset. Not to mention Luck's injury history.

Take the years Gase has been coach and and give us Cleveland's record sitting in their draft scenario now, would you really be any more disappointed those years if you only won 1 or none? No playoffs who cares right? You would want to see some flashes of brilliance from your draft picks and know it's going to come together with some more pieces so you know you made good decisions, but at this point I'm kinda pissed we won meaningless games though.
Getting lots of high Draft picks is no guarantee of having success on the field. Two years ago Cleveland had the opportunity to draft Wentz and elected to trade down for more picks - that doesn't look too smart now.
It is interesting to note that New England's great success has been built from drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round (#199th player drafted). Seattle's success has been built from drafting Russell Wilson in the 3rd round (#75th player drafted). Even the Dallas Cowboys found Dak Prescott in the 4th round (#135th player drafted). While these are isolated exceptions, when truly great value is extracted from the Draft it can result in massive team improvement. Even just last year the Chiefs found Kareem Hunt in the 3rd round (#86 player drafted) and the Saints found Alvin Kamara in the 3rd round #67 player drafted).
My general point to all of this is that really good drafting is a big part of turning a franchise around and the key is extracting value from both high and low draft picks.
Miami had the opportunity to draft any of the great value picks that I listed above but elected to choose others instead. I don't believe in it just being luck - I think there is actually some skill in finding some of these great value picks and we just need to evaluate the talent better.
It is what you do with the draft picks that counts. Yes, the Browns have a plethora of high picks and they should get a big injection of talent but there is zero certainty that will occur.

Last edited:
I am very firm on: make the playoffs or get the top draft choice. 8-8, 7-9, 6-10, etc..... It's just a wasted season. The games aren't enjoyable and then you're stuck at #11 overall hoping that a franchise changing player slips out of the top 10. It's how average to below average teams stay in that range.

Win or tank.

Of course the draft is a gamble.... But you've got to put yourself in position to draft top shelf talent if your team is lacking throughout. Cleveland has been in position to draft All Pros for years. It's their fault they're still in this position. They should be the equivalent to the Golden State Warriors with all the top picks and top players they've passed on.

Back
Top Bottom